Waratahs put Bulls away

 May 14,2016
Written by: Hein Diemont

In a strange affair in Sydney the points were all scored at the back end of the halves as the Waratahs eventually picked up a bonus point victory over the Bulls, winning 31-10.

Thirty minutes into the contest the fans were yet to see a point scoring moment. It was more a case of bumbling play from both than superb defensive skills being on display. The teams would enjoy a break with the score at 7-3 after Nick Phipps was able to stretch over from close range for the only moment of excitement in a dour first half of rugby.

Once again it was a battle of two teams struggling to find their range in the second stint, despite an early score from Dean Mumm, and those in the stands must surely have been contemplating what they could have been doing with their time instead of being exposed to a low quality clash.

The match was once again played in sticky conditions in Sydney yet it was no excuse for the low level of ball retention from both sides, especially a Bulls side who appeared to be caught between two styles of play. In the end the visitors offered little with ball in hand and they were unable to physically assert themselves to gain any ascendency over their Australian counterparts.

The scoreboard stalled at 17-3 until the game would finally come to light in the last ten minutes of the match. Phipps was able to add his second after the ever dangerous Israel Folau ignited things with a good break. The South Africans were finally able to get the ball through the hands amongst their backs as Dries Swanepoel would capitalise in the numerical advantage to slide over for the score.

Replacement Angus Taavao-Matau was on hand to secure the vital bonus point try as the hooter sounded as he powered over the whitewash. It was not always pretty but the win gives the Tahs yet another win over South African opposition and keeps them in the hunt for the playoffs.


Tags: Super Rugby |  Waratahs |  Bulls | 

From The Sideline

On Twitter