You need to LOG IN to reply.

California sets aside the death penalty

Forum » Beenos Trumpet » California sets aside the death penalty

Mar 14, 2019, 06:37

The governor of California following modern thinking and eschewing his campaign commitments, has set aside the death penalty.

No doubt there are political motivations at play, and there are many documented cases of false execution. Especially since the advent of DNA, which has cast new light on old cases. But it's the advent of DNA testing that should make the death penalty bullet proof.

We can now place the killer at the scene of the crime with zero error, if DNA backs up the claim.....so if we set a high bar, requiring DNA evidence, the objection about mistakes can be set aside and it comes down to a moral choice.

Should we take a human life....do we have that right? Well we have very little concern about animals who we kill for sport. And in the absence of religion what is sacred about humans?

It seems to me far too much of this is worrying about our own humanity and far too little is focused on the victims. The recent case of the little girl who witnessed her father choking her sister who said: "please don't do that to me daddy". What about her rights? Or the kids shot under their desks at school, what about their rights?

Too much of this "humanity" overlooks the abject terror of the victims. Why should these monsters be eating popcorn and watching basketball games in jail, when their victims have died in terrible pain and terror.

The bar has to be high, for sure, but there are crimes so horrendous that they demand the death penalty.....as a rejection by society and as a deterrant, if only for some situations. And we now have the technology to do so without making mistakes.

This move on the part of California is a reprieve for many monsters who are truly not human.

Mar 14, 2019, 06:47

I agree Moz. The world has just gone bloody soft. When it is an open and shut case with overwhelming evidence or a confession, remove the buggers permanently! Why should the tax payer have to bear the burden of such animals? And as you say, the rights of the perpetrators seem to be much more important than those of their victims. Idiotic! 

Mar 14, 2019, 09:22

I'm against the death penalty. IMO it's impossible to morally justify it, but a life sentence (for the type of crime that used to warrant the death penalty) should be very tough and include forced hard labour or something.

Mar 14, 2019, 09:45

My problem is that removal of the death penalty has caused havoc in SA inasmuch as - 

*   organized gangs kill people left, right and center;

*    domestic violence and murder of members of families (even husbands) is a permanent fixture in the newspapers;

*   even children go on killing sprees; and

*   political murders go on unabated.

Often  enough vigilantes kill criminals as they do not trust the police and the judicial system, 

The other problem is that high treason conduct was part and parcel of what has become known as State Capture,      

This is as lawless a country as anybody can imagine and I think the popular demand for return of the death penalty is rising - especially in the Black and Coloured communities.    Fact is that criminals often enough live better in jail than outside of it and jail sentences is not a scary enough concept to discourage them from committing murderous and treasonous crimes.

Draad - with respect I differ from you in this case.   Some people became vicious animals and that is why I believe they should not be alive  to carry on their vicious conduct, inclusicve of prison murders when inside.   

Mar 14, 2019, 14:10

I wouldn't include unpremeditated crimes.....fights that result in death. But these premeditated crimes, where parents decide they dont want the burden of their children, where criminals kill deliberately for a pittance......these lives are not sacrosanct.

Before we moralize about the value of human life one has to imagine the agony of a ten year old who is raped and then murdered......really bring that experience to life in your own imagination.

If you can there is only one sentence.

Mar 14, 2019, 15:18

Jail has a few purposes, one of them is a correctional facility. If someone leaves jail after their sentence and never commits a serious crime again it has worked.

However, if a crime is too serious can this person ever be corrected. Is it even worth the taxpayers time to pay for someone to serve 30 years in jail for mass murder? 

If the death sentence can help deter crime by serial repeat offenders of the worst crimes like murder, it is probably best to keep it. 

Mar 15, 2019, 10:50

SB

Don't you think those involved in the mosque attack in Christchurch killing 49 people do not deserve the death penalty?  

Mar 15, 2019, 10:50

SB

Don't you think those involved in the mosque attack in Christchurch killing 49 people do not deserve the death penalty?  

You need to Log in to reply.