Covid Immunity could be lost in months - Kings College Study

Forum » Beenos Trumpet » Covid Immunity could be lost in months - Kings College Study

Jul 13, 2020, 00:18

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/12/immunity-to-covid-19-could-be-lost-in-months-uk-study-suggests

Not great news, need safe proven vaccines asap. 

Jul 13, 2020, 07:41

A vaccine simply stimulates the production of antibodies, not so? So if the antibodies don't stick around, a vaccine will be useless as well. I'm happy to be corrected, but that's how I understand the function of a vaccine.

Jul 13, 2020, 08:34

Pakie,

Think of it like painting a wall.

If you splash the same shade of red paint on the wall as what it is already painted with then the fresh paint won't stand out.

If you sufficiently change(mutate) the shade of the fresh paint, even though it's still red, you'll notice the difference between the two and have to re-paint the entire wall.

My guess is they're saying Covid mutates relatively quickly. 

Jul 13, 2020, 08:55

Pretty much like the flu then, Plum?

Jul 13, 2020, 10:59

haha yeah

Jul 13, 2020, 22:52

Two points though....it could mutate to less dangerous versions to survive....and our resistance should build with exposure. Simple diseases like Flu wiped out Indian communities in the America’s because they had no prior exposure. Even if we can be reinfected with this virus our ability to cope will likely improve.

Jul 13, 2020, 23:36

It might require an annual top-up like the flu jab. 

It this case, is not that it mutates rapidly like the flu.
The bodies immune system can remember certain viruses more than others. Some viruses require one jab for life, but others will require a top-up pay as you go vaccine 

Jul 13, 2020, 23:43

Oh I think we will be getting annual Covid jabs ....and we will see people who got jabs getting ill. This is a mess, a weakening in the force as it were.....life was beautiful in 2019, we just didn’t understand that.

Jul 14, 2020, 16:22

Certainly looks like an annual jab -

"" There are questions when it comes to herd immunity as well - with no proof yet that it works with this virus.
Data from the six other coronaviruses that have caused infections in humans suggests none of them produces immunity lasting more than a year."

Jul 14, 2020, 17:18

"life was beautiful in 2019, we just didn’t understand that"

I actually sat back and thought about this one for a while....

It is actually quite profound... just how very simple this statement is.... yet it says so much about how much we have already taken for granted...

You need to Log in to reply.