Flu Jab run out in the UK

Forum » Beenos Trumpet » Flu Jab run out in the UK

Nov 13, 2020, 01:34

The government has been recommending that everyone get the flu jab this year. I do usually take the flu jab anyway.

So I went to the chemist about 3 weeks ago, and none were available.
I then read online that the whole of the UK had run out. 

An overseas purchase was made, but it will only be given to people over 55 initially. It seems that only the NHS will have supplies, and not private companies.
This still has not arrived. 

I phoned the NHS again today and the same story. Did the government just forget to buy ample supply, or is there a worldwide shortage? 

Colds, Flu and Covid19 all have similar initial symptoms.
So it is hard to diagnose someone over the phone, and going to a doctor face to face is a hotspot. 

This essentially means is that some people are going to catch Covid, and think it is a cold or flu, instead of getting to hospital earlier. This will result in more deaths, unfortunately. 

If this was some random screw up of failing to purchase enough vaccine from overseas, it begs the question of who is running the country. 
If they can't even organise flu vaccines, how can they beat Covid? 

Johnson and his gang appear designed to Get Brexit Done, but a crisis has exposed their abilities to run a country, and not just see it as an opportunity for the richest to avoid declaring their earnings by avoiding new EU tax laws. 

Nov 13, 2020, 02:04

I was luckily able to get the jab a few weeks back, but its the same issue in Ireland now, we are out of it. Believe its just due to unprecedented demand around the world for it.

I think at this stage anyone with symptoms that resemble Covid will go for a test. With all the social distancing going on as well, the flu might be less prevalent over the coming months.

But I'm no excusing Johnson, he's completely incompetent and while as a person I don't find him as personally dis-likeable as Trump, he's arguably doing more damage to his country than Trump did in his first year in office.

Nov 13, 2020, 02:25

@Stavanger, 

Well, I suppose if it is an international problem that other countries are also experiencing, then it is not a complete blunder. 

I don't think I am going to get the flu vaccine, but at least it is for a good reason to give it people who are most at risk from Covid. 

What I don't understand about Covid testing is that places like clinics and hospitals could become hotspots - like retirement homes. I would not even want to go to the hospital for fear of Covid. 

How do they test people for Covid without allowing all the infected people to spread Covid?
I don't live in a city, but maybe it is done outside places like parks in cities? 

You need to Log in to reply.