You need to LOG IN to reply.

Gillett Horse Manure

Forum » Beenos Trumpet » Gillett Horse Manure

Jan 19, 2019, 10:03

When a TV add becomes a sermon

Jan 19, 2019, 10:05

Opposed to the 80's

Jan 20, 2019, 17:19

This is propaganda on so many levels and sickeningly inaccurate. Notice how the while male is the issue throughout this copy and the black man is the peace maker. Whereas disrespect for women and the family is a much bigger problem in the black community.

Just another in a long list of attacks on the white male by the left.

The thing is Gillette is a brand, and obviously this is an attempt to take a leadership position in owning new masculinity......the advertising agency has persuaded the Brand it's a good idea. Personally I thinkit will backfire, but they will have focus group results that support the position.

The Agency must be ecstatic No doubt they will get some award for this and not even Hollywood is as radical as these Agencies, mostly populated by frustrated creative types. I spent a career working with them.

It attributes all the power to men and portrays women as helpless victims.....there's another insult

Jan 21, 2019, 11:58

I don't get why everyone is so upset about this advert. I don't find it racist or offensive. So what if they are trying to portray a message of fathers teaching their kids to respect woman, or to look for an alternative to a fist fight, or to stop bullying? What is wrong with that? I am the youngest of four boys, so I grew up having to take care of myself with my fists. Because of that fact, I never got bullied, but that does not mean I can't see the damage that bullying can do? Any father who does not discourage bullying is an idiot. Same goes for respecting woman etc. 

Look, I am the first person to strip my moer and swear and threaten stupid drivers on the road, and I got into my fair share of fights when out on the town or whatever back in the day, so I am no angel. The thing is, I regretted it afterwards just about every time it happened. I have never been beaten up, so that is not the reason for my regret, I have just regretted acting like a common idiot. A fist fight is almost always the worst way to resolve an issue. 

The same white people whining about every slight little incident in South Africa being called racist, and saying black people here are too sensitive and must get over it,  are the same people bitching about this advert. You get over it. If this advert offends you, it is not because it portrays a real man as being too sensitive for your liking, it is because you are too sensitive. Either that, or you are pro bullying, fighting and treating woman as a lower form of humanity. Feeble either way.

Long story short, I do believe there is an attack on white males, especially in South Africa, but this advert is not such an attack. Neither on their masculinity or on the colour of their skin.

The whole uproar has been brought about by a bunch of wannabee tough guys that are simply insecure.    

Jan 21, 2019, 15:22

Well, I did not even the race thing, I just thought that they went too far away from selling a brand towards a social justice agenda.

You feel good after watching the 80's add, but the new one has god some ugly truths in it. Importand issues, but not issues for a razor blade commercial....Bizarre to say the least.

Jan 21, 2019, 17:49

But look at your toxicity Bloo.....accusing others of being 'a bunch of wannabee tough guys'.....'you get over it'....more toxic aggression.

And if we disagree with this we are 'pro bullying or treating women as a lower form of humanity'......really?

Well when the agenda jockeys try to shape public opinion they need some gullible people to convince.....and you are a good reminder that there are plenty of them Bloo. You don't have a clue as to what's really happening here.

Jan 21, 2019, 17:53

MORE FROM: KAROL MARKOWICZ

From Karol Markowicz >................ Razor blade commercials aren’t supposed to make national headlines, but these aren’t ordinary times. Last week’s Gillette commercial playing on the #MeToo movement became the latest piece of corporate messaging to berate and belittle men.

The commercial implored men to “be better,” while juxtaposing scenes of boys wrestling at a cookout, bullies menacingly chasing a boy down the street, men catcalling women and making lewd jokes and generally acting like brutes.

Many Americans were angry, not least men, whom the commercial framed as universal aggressors and rapists.

Fans claimed that those who were upset by the Gillette ad should be asking themselves why. The implication was that, if you didn’t like being lectured by a company trying to sell you razors, it must mean that you are likely the bully and sexual assaulter the ad makers had in mind when they made the commercial.

Well, I’m a woman, and I hated the commercial, because I’m tired of the boy-bashing that has become all too common on our screens and in our world.

“It’s just an ad!” doesn’t fly. Would women shrug off “just an ad” that treated femininity as something inherently bad and in need of modification? They wouldn’t. Women accept far less criticism from advertisements than men do.

In 2015, a company called Protein World released an ad for a diet supplement featuring a fit model in a bikini and the words: “Are You Beach Body Ready?” The backlash was swift. The ad was defaced again and again in the NYC subways, and the city of London went so far as to ban “body-shaming” ads on the Underground.

If there was a moment in time when women collectively decided that they would no longer stand for being body-shamed, that was it.

Similarly, the response to the Gillette ad feels like a dam breaking. This might be the moment when men have finally had enough.

Men are constantly barraged with criticism. “Men are the worst” has gotten old. The word masculinity is only preceded by the word “toxic” these days.

Meanwhile, men have been on a downward trajectory for some time now. Fewer men go to college, more men commit suicide, more men live at home with their parents well into adulthood.

Men take the most dangerous jobs, they fight and die in our wars, yet they are told nonstop that they are terrible, and the future isn’t for them. They are expected to shrug it off because, well, they are men.

If men are traditionally stoic and impervious to criticism, and we like them that way, then the idea that men can take the shots simply because they are strong and manly flies in the face of the commercial — which bashes male stoicism.

Gillette implores men to be better because kids are watching. Yes, kids are watching men portrayed as bumbling idiots in so many ads and as violent misogynists in this one.

The worst part of the commercial is the group of men standing in a row over their grills robotically repeating “Boys will be boys.” The message is that men are all the same. They don’t think for themselves, and they excuse bad behavior in each other. They’re grilling just like your husband, father, brother — doing this activity they enjoy while simultaneously creating bad men out of their sons.

“We expected debate,” Pankaj Bhalla, Gillette’s North America brand director, told CNN Business. “Actually, a discussion is necessary. If we don’t discuss and don’t talk about it, I don’t think real change will happen.”

No, what we need is to stop insulting men. We can’t elevate women by knocking men down. Some men will nod along with ads that insult them, but, in general, these companies are offending men and doing damage to their own stated cause. On the Gillette YouTube channel, the commercial has garnered more than double the number of “dislikes” than “likes.”

This wasn’t a win for the company.

“Isn’t it time we stopped excusing bad behavior?” Gillette asked in the tweet introducing the commercial. Yes, it is. And that includes the bad behavior of corporate salesmen treating half of the population as monsters, all to sell a product targeted at precisely that segment of Americans.

Jan 21, 2019, 19:53

I just see it for what it is. An silly advert trying to point out that being macho does not make you a man. If that offends you, then I maintain that you need to be less sensitive. Simple really. 

Moz, you call me gullible, I don't agree, but even if I am, I'd rather be gullible than an oversensitive pensioner that still has not learned that bragging about qualifications, intelligence, achievements, possessions etc, does not make them a man, it makes them insecure. 

Jan 21, 2019, 20:27

I do not see much in that advert- but I doubt it was very effective in doing its job..

Jan 21, 2019, 22:53

And telling us you are a big guy, who had 'to take care yourself with your fists'...isn't? Get real!

I have quoted my credentials from time to time when some on this Board have accused me of being stupid or a liar.....I can't remember any poster calling you weak or a coward. But you nonetheless position yourself as the white Mike Tyson.....which of us is insecure?

Use it, discard it....I don't care.

Jan 22, 2019, 07:42

I never stated I was the white Mike Tyson. I never even said I beat anyone up. I just got into the odd fisticuff on the rugga field or when out on the town, which invariably landed up being two guys rolling around on the ground, and before anyone could get hurt, they were pulled apart by those nearby. Hence me never getting beaten up. Are you really going to point a finger at me for mentioning being relatively big, when it was YOU and Dave who started the whole argument on who was one centimeter taller than the other? Compared with you guys, I am relatively big, there is no other way to say it. Compared to a modern day back row forward, I am probably relatively small. 

This has just deteriorated into a pissing contest. You think what you think and I think what I think. We may as well leave it at that. 

The real point about the advert, getting back to the issue, if you really look for a reason to be offended, I guess you can find one, but I maintain that if anyone is offended by it, they should question there own masculinity, and not worry about a silly advert that will be completely forgotten about in a month. 

Jan 22, 2019, 08:40

Oh the Dave thing....well you missed the whole point of that as well. Dave had styled himself Big Dave on a prior Board, and was in the habit of making claims of physical feats....kinda like you.

How surprised was I when I met him and found he was a fat chappie at least an inch shorter than me, and I am certainly pretty average in size.

As for the silly ad as you describe it, is indicative of something much more insiduous. And I see no reason to question my masculinity, to use a trite phrase ....I leave that to you.

Jan 22, 2019, 09:01

I am trying to leave this thing alone, but you are making false statements about me. When have I ever made claims of physical feats? All I have stated about myself is my height and weight....and that me gaining or losing 10kg's is not really noticeable. Hardly a physical feat. 

Moz, again. lets just leave this be. 

Jan 22, 2019, 09:42

The real problem here is Moffie wanting everyone to be as weedy and as scrawny as he is so he can feel like a big man for once in his sad and pathetic life.

Jan 22, 2019, 12:24

New add, focus on the negatives. vs Old add focus on the positives

Dreary vs Feel good

Chaos vs Order

Bad vs Good

Unnecessary for an add, forcing a new age agenda....horse droppings.

Jan 22, 2019, 15:29

Db, let it go man. I see a hundred things a day on the news in South Africa that are truly offensive. In comparison this advert is really just insignificant. If this advert was a drink, it would be offensive light! :D

What is being said in the Zondo commission is offensive. And all the bribery and corruption that is being laid bare by Agrizi is just that of one company! You can be bloody sure that with every single big contract awarded by the ANC to whatever company, this blatant theft is being repeated. I find that insanely offensive. And then the ANC wants to steal our land, because all South Africa's failings are "because of white people" and apartheid. I find that offensive. What is now clear is that all big businesses with tenders and contracts with government are rotten to the core. I find that offensive. The Gillette advert...ag please man. Its a big fat nothing. I must just quickly add. I watch absolutely no TV. Everything I watch, I stream, as a result, I either have no adverts at all, or I just skip past them. In other words, I pretty much haven't seen a TV add in ages....what a pleasure.   

Jan 22, 2019, 16:10

Poor old Fat Urinal....after years of calling me 'fat', with no evidence......he found, by trolling my daughters' internet accounts, that I'm actually spot on for a guy of 5' 11.5".

So now he calls me scrawny.....and then he admits he himself is obese. You can't make this up, even if you wanted to try!

LMAOFY&Y!

Jan 22, 2019, 17:32

Blue. I deliberately post both adds to illustrate the difference in perspective from the 80's till now. I'm not much offended,  but I'm not happy with the direction the world is moving to.

Did you know that the average IQ of humanity peaked in the 70's and has been declining since? This horsh!t surely has something to do with it and this new age horse sh!t is definitely to blame for all the BS we see around state capture.  The day you take away accountability is the day your society goes down hill...and it all start by shifting blame to where it does not belong.

Jan 23, 2019, 08:06

Db, I am not sure if you have ever seen the movie Idiocracy? Not a great movie, though it does have its moments. Anyway, it is about an average Joe soldier that that is frozen in a capsule, but instead of waking up 30 days later, the capsule is buried accidentally and only resurfaces something like 500 years later. In that time, the humans of the world have become stupid, and the soldier turns out to be the smartest man on earth. While he was frozen humans got dumber and dumber as time progressed, and you know what, for what is basically a spoof movie, I think they have actually nailed the future of humanity. Think about it, the educated and financially secure humans in the first world are having one, two or even no children, while the stupid, the uneducated, and the destitute are breeding like flies. In the words of Joe Rogan, "the stupid are out fucking us". So it is pretty simple to ascertain which genes are being passed on to the next generation. With that in mind, consider, WWE, pop music, the support for the ANC, the idiotic mindlessness of the latest movies, and so on, and so on, and so on, and it is clear to see that humanity is on a rather kak trajectory.  

Jan 23, 2019, 09:17

Exactly, it seems we are hell bent for self destruction. Haven't seen the movie, but it sounds spot on.

You need to Log in to reply.