You need to LOG IN to reply.

Moz - Polar Vortex

Forum » Beenos Trumpet » Moz - Polar Vortex

Jan 31, 2019, 17:03

Hi Moz

I see they are saying that your weather conditions are not going to get any better soon, and that in fact they will get worse over the next coming week.

It is truly saddening and breath taking, what this weather has achieved in such a short space of time.

I hope no more people lose their lives to this phenomena, because quite a few have already needlessly lost theirs due to the extreme cold. 

The pictures in this news report are incredible to look at

Polar Vortex

Jan 31, 2019, 17:37

DA thanks for your concern. Yesterday was the second coldest ever in Chicago. The Lake which is just above freezing, was actually steaming....producing massive clouds. Quite beautiful actually.

Some weather guys were doing a trick where they threw a cup of hot water into the air and it turned into steam. Frostbite would occur in 4 minutes.

But this part of the country is set up for cold weather....kids and the homeless are the risk and schools were closed as a consequence. So apart from a few sad incidents, including fires....people were protected. Here are a few details from WGN:

'CHICAGO — It's now official — this is the second coldest day in Chicago weather history.

Weather records here go back 148 years to 1870. Wednesday's high of 10 below zero at midnight, and this morning's minimum of 23 below zero averages out to minus 17 degrees. The only other day colder was Christmas Eve Day, 1983 when the high and low were minus 25 and minus 11 degrees respectively, averaging 18 below zero.

A little perspective on how rare this is. There are 54,020 official temp readings on file for Chicago in the 148 years since 1870, and Wednesday's minus 23 at O’Hare is only the 17th temperature which has dipped under 20 below zero!'

Feb 01, 2019, 07:26

Wow, that is some serious cold Moz

I sincerely hope it gets better before it gets worse, but as you also said, Chicago is geared to deal with this sort of temperature.

Frostbite in 4 minutes is just ludicrous......

Feb 01, 2019, 07:56

I understand that with the windchill factor, it is as cold as 50 below in some parts. Good lord that must be cold!!! Still, I'd love to experience it. I love extremes of weather, except heatwaves. But huge thunderstorms, cold snaps, extreme rain or even hail. I just love how awesome nature's power can be. I remember as a kid we had a huge tree in our garden, the moment there was a big highveld thunderstorm, I'd climb all the way to the top of the tree just to experience the wind and rain and the general awesomeness! My mother however nearly had a heart attack every time she found me up there in those conditions. I guess I never really grew up.   

Moz, don't forget your little knee blanky eh!!! Hahaha, just taking the piss. 

Feb 01, 2019, 09:27

I'm similar. I'll take any level of cold and I don't mind rain, hail, snow or wind . . . just don't give me heat!

Feb 01, 2019, 09:30

Spare a thought for that arch hoaxer Al Gore who predicted the melting of the ice caps etc. How much more EGG can this buffoon take one wonders. He still does the rounds by jet selling his BS.

First it was the coming ice age, then it was global warming. Realizing they hadn't got a clue they say how about climate change - now we cant be wrong. What a bunch of lying agenda driven loons.

Feb 01, 2019, 11:03

Its always refreshing to have someone like Beans on the forum. His opinions are totally agenda free, which is always good. :angel:

Feb 01, 2019, 13:49

I'll never ever forget my first summer in Sydney. I always get folks laughing by telling them that my hair went curly the day we landed and it's remained that way ever since. Coming from temperate Cape Town those early years in Sydney was a rude shock. That summer they had to stop running the trains because the railway lines were bending. Bushfires were everywhere and they were being being fanned by hot winds. Trust our luck to arrive in what turned out to be one of the worst summers in terms of fires. Took us a while to get used to the heat but it's not only the heat it's the humidity that's the killer and if it's fanned by a hot wind then it becomes very uncomfortable. But that said I remember landing in Durban up from Cape Town wearing a jeans and T-shirt, everything was sweet until I stepped out of the airport, their humidity must be on par with what we experience over here in Australia.

My choice between extreme cold or heat is heat. Like Chicago we're geared to handle the conditions, the thing is you can still get about because public transport, the office, your car, clubs and pubs are all air-conditioned and of course there's the beach. Temperatures in the mid-thirties don't bother me one bit, surprisingly over time one becomes accustomed to heat, in a strange way it grows on you, your skin feels for it, just like today we had a  max of 22 which feels kind of cool after the run of 40+s of the last few days. When it becomes very uncomfortable is when there's a heatwave of 40+ running for three or four days. The people I feel for are the ones in rural and outback Australia. It's bone dry out there and until you get to see places like the back of Bourke, Nyngan or Brocken Hill it's only then that you begin to feel the extreme effects of heat and humidity. Recently they've had record highs of around 48 degrees and not just over one day, add the humidity and I reckon you've already experienced hell.

All that said what the folks in the midwest and north of America is experiencing is pretty damn awful.

Feb 01, 2019, 13:53

Oh joy, it's Chapter 17 of Part 3 of Volume 9 of Dense's sad and pathetic life story.

Dense, I hate to be the one to break this to you but - having seen a picture of you (and lived to tell the tale) - I don't think it's your curly hair they were all laughing at.

Feb 01, 2019, 14:40

Nothing's changed, trust Koosie to fuckup a healthy debate.

And OBTW the photo you brag about.......for the umpteenth time, it wasn't me you low life fuck, that is a photo of my beloved late brother.

Now Fuckoff!

Feb 01, 2019, 15:02

Get the fuck off my thread Piss Mint

Here I post a thread about people dying from this epic weather phenomena in the USA and all you want to do is come in here, just to ridicule a fellow poster and try and score some stupid brownie points.

Just fuck off, nobody wants you here...… absolutely nobody.

Feb 01, 2019, 15:06

Uh-oh . . .

DumbAss is only ever in one of two states . . . rage or attention-seeking . . . and I think he's just flipped into rage mode!

Feb 01, 2019, 17:03

I just happened to come across an old 2013 post...…from you Piss Mint

Wow..... the exact same old and angry little man who is upset with the entire world, because you alone fucked up your own life and your family now suffer the consequences of your own selfish and drug and alcohol induced actions earlier in life....

No wonder you are such a bitter person

Feb 01, 2019, 20:20

A bit warmer today, but still double digits below freezing. I relate to your tree top experience Bloo....as a kid we lived up in the tops of trees. I only fell once! But it affected my rugby for weeks.

A massive South Easter is something to experience....best done on the Cable Station road. The venturi effect is unbelievable.

Feb 01, 2019, 20:31

"I only fell once! But it affected my rugby for weeks."

Translation: "When I used to run on at half-time with the oranges, some of the players used to give me a dirty look because I'd dropped half of them. Ooooh I loved those dirty looks!!! (Swoon)"

Feb 01, 2019, 23:12

Some give me a dirty look (singular) while others presumably loved a bit of mud on the orange....hahaha.....Koos in charge of his material again.

You need to Log in to reply.