My nephew and family returned to South Africa

Forum » Beenos Trumpet » My nephew and family returned to South Africa

Jun 02, 2019, 07:26

After living in Essex for more than 19 years my nephew and family returned to South Africa this month.   They both attained English citizenship and he started a very successful plumbing business in England and his wife worked for the country as a physiotherapist.

He bought a house in Still Bay and they are unpacking their furniture and other equipment 

I was curious as to the reason for his return and asked him why he did return and want to list his reasons for returning after appearing to having settled in England.   I would like to summarized what he stated as his reasons:-

*   His son is now 10 years old and must now to secondary school.  The quality of education is good - but the environment in which secondary school children function is degrading insofar as issues such as family values and  respect for parents is concerned,   He and his wife is worried about what influence the environment would have on their son.   

*    He expressed his own findings and said socially Europe is in political chaos.  He referred to the way the politicos treated May and also in the frustration people showed with the political establishment all over Europe.

*    He found that in the main in the working class the children are financially worse off than their parents have been,   A new generation of poverty is emerging and the children of working class people find it hard to find employment and if they do, they have to put up with inadequate wages to maintain a reasonable standard of living.

He still owns a house and a flat in Essex which he is leasing out and that would give him an income of circa  R40 000 per month and will start a plumbing business and his wife will do physiotherapy work as well in Still Bay - a very rapidly expanding town.

He wants his son to go to the Oakdale High School in Riversdale and until then will go to the primary school in Still Bay.   His son is only ten years old and very tall for his age.   Oakdale is a top sport school and his son is a very keen cricket player already.          

Jun 02, 2019, 08:28

Good for him Maaik. Unfortunately we can't all live in Stilbaai.

Jun 02, 2019, 10:56

Essex is a rough working-class place. Not a nice place to live or go to school. 

However many people that live overseas would like to return to SA, but more to the old SA, not the current one. People that live overseas think of their memories, more than the current SA.

From what I have heard more people are leaving SA, than returning. Some people have returned to SA, only to leave again. 

As for European politics, I am confident that politics is much better than most third world countries, in particular Africa. 
Population growth is the main issue, particularly imports from the third world war torn countries but it is much worse in many other countries. 
Politics always looks like a shambles, but part of this is to trick the dumb voters.

Jun 02, 2019, 15:57

Population growth is the main issue, particularly imports from the third world war torn countries but it is much worse in many other countries. 
Politics always looks like a shambles, but part of this is to trick the dumb voters.

Strangely, I can agree with you for a change....Population growth is the main culprit. If south Africa had the population of 100 years ago, this place would be paradise, regardless of who are in charge....There are just too many mouths we have to feed...take a look at all the suffering we breed...Freddy knew it 35 years ago..we all know it....we must lose our freedom in some regards, or we perish...simple really.

Jun 02, 2019, 16:03

Back on topic. Stilbaai is still a fantastic place to live...if you can generate enough income there...very isolated, but in a good way. Crime is very low, because there is almost nowhere for the criminals to hide...and the weather is even better than in Cape Town!

Blob, whenever you come to the Republic again, you and I must go and buy Oom Maaik a beer somewhere in Stilbaai.:D...we may even go and buy MeanOu one too in the Klein Karoo.

Jun 02, 2019, 17:15

I also love that place Draad, in fact it was one of the places I ear-marked for my last years on earth.

It's a simple place without the trimmings of pretention, quality living nevertheless and fresh fish and sea food, without crime and I'm an avid fisherman and yes I could visit ol' Maaikie now and again but things are changing fast, I also ear-marked Hermanus and Knysna but there is crime and disturbance there.

A little hide-away called Rhodes in the Eastern Cape Highlands is where I'm planning now. No sea but mountains and trout streams in summer and ski-ing in winter at Tiffendell.No crime there, no hi jacking, no theft, no murder. The trouble is no supermarkets either, you have to travel 80 klms to a spar and to Queenstown, Aliwal North and even Bloemfontein for hypermarkets.

The missus does not like this:'(

Jun 02, 2019, 17:31

I also love that place Draad, in fact it was one of the places I ear-marked for my last years on earth.

It's a simple place without the trimmings of pretention, quality living nevertheless and fresh fish and sea food, without crime and I'm an avid fisherman and yes I could visit ol' Maaikie now and again but things are changing fast, I also ear-marked Hermanus and Knysna but there is crime and disturbance there.

A little hide-away called Rhodes in the Eastern Cape Highlands is where I'm planning now. No sea but mountains and trout streams in summer and ski-ing in winter at Tiffendell.No crime there, no hi jacking, no theft, no murder. The trouble is no supermarkets either, you have to travel 80 klms to a spar and to Queenstown, Aliwal North and even Bloemfontein for hypermarkets.

The missus does not like this:'(

Jun 02, 2019, 17:42

Mike with an income from rental in UK of approx R40000 per month and some capital to establish the businesses of plumbing and physio for both of them, probably another R50,000 -R100000 per month (if theres enough market there and this I don't know) they I think will be very comfortable and yes as Shark says a far better than in Essex.

But maybe that's very ambitious, but remember he's got the backbone of real estate in UK.

Oak dale seems a good govt school, certainly good rugby. If junior school is a problem I would send my child to be a weekly border to some school in further regions, like George or even Stellenbosch or Paarl....I know it's far but only once a week.

Jun 03, 2019, 17:08

Seb 

Stilbaai has a very good primary school so e is going to go there.    

Jun 03, 2019, 18:16

Indeed Mike.

Seb, I know about Tiffendel...my cousin used to work there during winter holidays in the 80s and early 90's. A bit cold for my taste, but goodluck and enjoy.

Jun 04, 2019, 08:51

The Southern Cape is the most stunning area in the country. The natural water bodies and bird life is breath taking.  

If I had a choice, I would live in most any town in that part of South Africa.

It sounds as if Mike's family had a choice to live anywhere in the world. The skill sets that both parents have would enable them to pick and choose.

I do not think that it was wise to return to this country. It's not the same place they knew two decades ago ... and most certainly not a place you want to raise young children in.

Good luck to them.

Jun 04, 2019, 09:15

Draad

I would not have advised them to return to South Africa - but they worry about their son  growing up  in England in a very messy environment from both a social and educational environment,   

They would rather give him a chance in life in an environment where he could get a sound education at Oakdale - where my nephew went to school too - and at Stellenbosch  and then he has a wider choice where he could work worldwide,   He has both SA and English citizenship and then have a better chance in life.  

If things do not work out for them they could always go back to England anyway.             

Jun 04, 2019, 11:10

Interesting you bring this up Mike. I have basically given up on SA and the wheels are already in motion for a move to Europe. I am 40, if I move now I have time to start a new life and 25 odd years to get my shit together for retirement. I will lose many things with this move, things like a domestic worker, a gardener, the weather, my family and friends, a nice house with a big garden etc. But I will gain safety, no more discrimination based on my skin colour, functioning public transport, a house that has no need to resemble fort Knox, but most importantly a future. SA is a beautiful country with massive potential, but in my opinion it will never be realised. From a statistical point of view, Africa has a 100% failure rate post liberation. And far from bucking the trend, SA is embracing the very same course that caused the failure of every other African state. I see no reason to hang around and wait for what to me seems to be inevitable. At least if I leave now I'll have a fair amount of money from my savings/property/pension etc to basically carry on from where I left off here. If I wait and the economy does fall off a cliff, then my house/pension/saving etc are all going to be worth nothing. Then I would have to move to Europe anyway, but I'd be going with no financial backing. 

My decision, leave now while I still can.   

Jun 04, 2019, 13:11

Well BlueBok ... personally, I think your decision to leave this continent is the best decision you can possibly make for yourself.

Establishing a foothold elsewhere opens doors for friends and family members too, so when the shit hits the fan, like we know it's going to, they have a place to go to if need be. 

I have a friend in the Czech Republic who speaks of his new home as being radically pro children. He tells me they have free medical and education, and that the standard of their education is far superior to the retarded system we have in place here, which as you know, is aimed to help the natives get to the next grade.

Not sure why they bother ... they're only going to breed further and put additional pressures on our collapsing society.

I hope you aren't having second thoughts.  

If I could ... I would be long gone. This continent would never see me again.

Your are still young and your entire life lies before you.

You will regret it if you stay ... I know I have.

Jun 05, 2019, 01:48

I am too old to leave and am struck in SA - but one thing is for sure,   I will rather burn down my home than leave it for the benefit of the looters.   That is where I am at present - a totally hopeless situation I believe.        

Younger people in their thirties and forties should rather ;leave while they still can - White have no future in South Africa.    Alan Paton wrote a book :Cry the Beloved Country - bit he advocated a change which when it did happen  and he died - his wife had to flee the Beloved Country because of the change.   Huge mistake - I believe. 

So the younger generation has no future in SA  - so study hard and when they have the necessary qualifications leave asap..     

Jun 05, 2019, 13:24

Imagine SA could be segmented. The whole coast link from Durban to Capetown is given to non-black races, up to 50 square miles inland from the sea.  

This would be about 10% of current South Africa land. 

This could be an area without a black majority- and a proper government could be elected. This could the Western Worlds haven in Africa. It could become another country outside of SA, with the sea as the other order. 

A bit like the old Transkei in position - but just from Capetown to Durban. The in-land farms could be sold - and they can become Zimbabwe. It some ways it would be the reverse of Apartheid as it would only be a small piece of the land. 

Jun 05, 2019, 13:59

@Sharkbok,

“The in-land farms could be sold - and they can become Zimbabwe. “

Luckily those living in your “Coastal Utopia” won’t have to rely on the farms for their food. They just buy it at Checkers or Pick ‘n Pay.

Jun 05, 2019, 14:02

Natal also has farms dummy. The land is probably more fertile than the Kalahari. 

Certain foods could be imported. 

Jun 05, 2019, 15:25

You said 50 square miles of land. Stretched out from Durban to Cape Town? It is about 1000 miles between Durban and Cape Town. Where are your farms going to be?

Actually, how wide will your land be from the coast line? 0.05 miles?

Jun 05, 2019, 15:59

50 Square miles from the Coastline all the way down to Capetown. So in Durban, it is 50 miles inland, and in Capetown, it is 50 miles inland- then the places are connected...

I said it would be around 10% of the land of South Africa, so there was enough data points for you to establish this. Additionally, that is was similar to Transkie situatuion.

Jun 05, 2019, 18:48

Cera, don't bother...the fool doesn't realize that he wants to reinstate Apartheid...not to mention that he seems to be unaware of how the units of measurement actually work.:D....

Jun 05, 2019, 18:53

@Draad, I was hoping that somewhere, somehow, it would have become clear that 50 square miles is roughly 7 miles by 7 miles.

Jun 05, 2019, 19:19

That's what he said yes, but not what he meant...and now it's your fault for misunderstanding :D...It was perfectly clear what he meant....and that you understood.

Shark, what you are trying say is that it should that the border should be parallel to and 50 miles from the coastline....your latest effort isn't right either.:D...The Zulu and Xhosa people won't be happy!:'(

Jun 05, 2019, 19:33

Shark, I'm just taking the p!ss a bit. I know what you are trying to say, but that is Apartheid in a nutshell. (IMO).

Jun 06, 2019, 03:48

Leave or stay there are always regrets....but if you are going to do it, do it now.

Jun 06, 2019, 06:23

Article

Another white South African farmer who spoke out about land grabs is shot dead as he eats dinner at home with his family just weeks after fellow landowner was beaten to death

By Leigh Mcmanus For Mailonline -

June 3rd 2019, 4:26:38 pm

Stefan Smit, 62, had been openly critical of the threat of land grabs on his property - a large estate in Stellenbosch, Western Cape - South Africa's most famous wine region.

Jun 06, 2019, 18:33

Fok Blob, that's 12k's from where I am...and only yesterday there was a big shooting onthe N1 between my work and my home!...Ad to that the absolute lawlessness of the ever increasing minibus taxis on our rouds...something is gonna snap soon. Normal people are starting to talk about taking the law in their own hands. Anarchy around the corner...soon.

You need to Log in to reply.