My Octopus Teacher

Forum » Beenos Trumpet » My Octopus Teacher

Jan 06, 2021, 02:21

For those who admire nature this is a beautiful film available on Netflix. Shot around Miller’s Point  it shows an incredible relationship between a human and an Octopus. And it reveals the exquisite world beneath the surface. I know every rock at Miller’s Point, but what lies beneath the surface, plants and creatures, is a revelation.

If you admired Jock, White Fang, Salar the Salmon, Ring of Bright Water.....watch this short movie

Jan 06, 2021, 05:46

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12888462/

My Octopus Teacher (2020) - IMDb

www.imdb.com › title

Klop-klop.

Jan 06, 2021, 18:47

This is amazing. I used to dive those waters many times in the seventies and eighties for perlelemoen (abalone) and the odd kreef and aricrickle and often saw octopus. That is Millers Point...from what I can see but underwater kelp beds all look the same underwater but it could also but on the Pringle Bay side too...those rocks look very familiar but we dived all over False Bay and further up to Agulhas but definitely is typical False Bay underwater life.

It's a must see for me and brings back many fond memories.

I don't have Netflix however , maybe there's another stream. 

Thank you for posting this guys.

Jan 06, 2021, 21:54

Wow Mozart what a brilliant documentary...mind blowing...what an incredible creature with high intelligence. What a experience.

Managed to stream whole film.

I know exactly the spot...it's just before Millers Point...there's a big rock about 200 metres out...the one the octopus crawled on to when chased by the pajama shark. There used to be a lot of galjoen around it in my day. Did not see any in documentary. We need to conserve these precious gifts given to us.

The world needs people like Craig, what an incredible human being. Give the documentary 10 out of 10.

It taught me a lot. I wish I was young again and fit...diving is the most enjoyable experience in those kelp forests.

Jan 06, 2021, 22:01

Actually I think it’s not an exaggeration to call this an epic piece naturalism. In the English tradition, but with the patience Africa breeds. South Africa at it’s best!

My dad and I fished the open pond under the large rock at Spring tide one day....we caught about 15 fish in an hour....Steenbras, Red Romans, Dassies....you couldn’t keep your bait on the hook. I love that stretch of coast line.

Jan 06, 2021, 23:26

Steenbras, were they red or white steenbras ?.. probably white...we saw them closer to Muizenberg side,I never saw red steenbras on that side but on Rooi Els side...now the reds are never seen or caught from the shore, only further up to Garden Route from boats, but must be released. Dassies were plentiful and as I observed in documentary plenty of small ones and hottentot, red romans yes there were a few there but quite plentiful from Steenbras River mouth onwards to Rooi Els.

There were a lot of octopuses too but we were totally ignorant of this amazing creature and completely missed what Craig saw. Unfortunately we missed so much by not looking deeper into nature and took it all for granted...that's what this documentary does...it really opens both your eyes and mind.

I started diving in 1975 until I left the Cape in 1983. Dived in Natal a few times on my own but that was dangerous...one should not do this..then stopped as I did not enjoy diving in water with cloudier viz. How I miss those Cape days. I always loved the sea. I also had 2 older cousins that did their bit at Simonstown, I think in the late sixties or maybe early seventies that were on the President Steyn. I think you said your did as well but that might have been a bit earlier.One of them now lives in California and is very wealthy and owns a seagoing yacht. The other has now reired and lives at the Boulders.

I really enjoyed that documentary...it was like a breathe of fresh air in this trouble torn world. My wife loved it very much too...thank you.

I really hope some of the posters look into this documentary too...it is a mind opener.

Jan 06, 2021, 23:44

Thanks Moz

Jan 06, 2021, 23:48

https://mixdrop.co/f/gnnr9077fejgnz
or
https://clipwatching.com/9mjnr2og35x5

Jan 07, 2021, 02:20

I was on the SAS Good Hope....on it’s last voyage. Freedom of the City in East London, then round the Cape up to  the Cunene River. On the way back the engines started to pack in.

Jan 07, 2021, 02:20

When we left EL the sea was so rough one of the destroyers was photographed with half it’s length out of the water hanging over an abyss. I was in the paint locker!

Jan 07, 2021, 02:57

Just finished watching.

WOW how incredibly beautiful and wonderfully educational

Thanks again Moz

Jan 07, 2021, 07:39

What a wonderful natural environment we have as part of our history...this film reminded me of that, it’s been some time since I was in CT.

Jan 07, 2021, 12:27

Watching it made me very homesick

I had one of those ‘it’s not fair that my homeland is so fucked up that I’m living elsewhere’ moments

You need to Log in to reply.