Notre Dame ablaze

Forum » Beenos Trumpet » Notre Dame ablaze

Apr 15, 2019, 19:57

What a sad sight to see this magnificent building in flames. I couldn't help but think our CT helicopter pilots would have this massive blaze out in minutes....the firefighting effort seems inept.

Now they are saying the main cathedral spire has collapsed...the flames are shooting well above the roof.

Eight hundred years old.....two hundred years in the making.

Apr 15, 2019, 20:25

What terrible news - what caused such a massive blaze in this magnificent near to 800 year old building?   What  a disaster - listening to Sky News some for the onlookers seems to think it was done intentionally - but there is no real proof of anything yet.  

Paris Prosecutors' Office said it has started an Inquiry into the Notre Dame Cathedral Fire.       

Apr 15, 2019, 20:57

I suspect terrorism but one has to wait for the facts to be established.

One would think a national treasure like Notre Dame would be adequately protected against any fire hazard. 

Apr 15, 2019, 21:43

You would think the owner of the place would have the power to stop it  wouldn't you

Apr 15, 2019, 21:46

Where was the hunch back?

Apr 15, 2019, 23:01

I got rather angry when I look at this horrible fire. Nothing can be done to replace this marvelous building. Yes, they will repair it but the original material is forever lost. Very, very sad.

I can not believe that the safety of the building was not determined with models and the impact a potential fire could have and what fire protection action should have been in place to combat any fire.

Apr 15, 2019, 23:04

Churches are being attacked every week in France. 

Wonder if the truth will come out. 

Apr 15, 2019, 23:07

I had the same reaction Blikkies.....the reaction seemed so flaccid. It makes you wonder how quick the response would be for a hotel fire in Paris.

Apr 15, 2019, 23:22

A true tragedy.

Hope it was an accident and not an islamic zealot.

Apr 15, 2019, 23:44

..not hard to imagine how an open flame used by a roofer doing renovations could easily catch on some insulaton and spread quickly...happens quite a bit... tar paper is highly flammable... a dry old building like that's probably full of borer is epecially susceptible..

Apr 16, 2019, 00:33

The building is (was?) literally priceless. 

The Operational Health and Safety committee for the Notre Dame Cathedral is probably made up of extremely wealthy and powerful church figures along with billionnaire patrons and the French government - possibly even treasonous no-border globalist democrat-loving deep-state Illuminati for all we know . . . suffice to say that these are not the kind of people to hire Acme Quick Fix Renovations Pty Ltd where someone might have flicked a cigarette by mistake that destroyed a billion euro building.

In terms of tourism, religious pilgrimages, artifacts and plain old real estate, a billion euros is probably way south of the real value . . . and yet we're suggesting this disaster could have been caused by a careless roofer who used an open flame where he shouldn't have?

Do you think that scenario is even remotely possible?

Rather think in terms of who would like to see arguably the world's most symbolic christian structure burnt to the ground.

Even if I'm wrong, I'm still surprised that ISIS or some crazed islamic splinter group hasn't claimed this yet . . . even if they're lying and just exploiting a tragic situation.

I don't think this was a careless casual worker who fired up his blowtorch too enthusiastically. The trained professionals working on this renovation project were probably all highly qualified engineers who had passed a psychological screening test and who  had a sniper trained on them watching their every move!

Apr 16, 2019, 03:45

Just watched it on the news. Very sad even more poignant were the people singing a French hymn in the street.

When renovations go terribly wrong.

Apr 16, 2019, 07:07

Seems arson and terrorism have now been ruled out....which has to make the renovations a strong suspect in this depressing event.

Still, while it will never be the same, I walked through a Cathedral in Berlin that had been totally flattened in WW2, and was authentically and impressively rebuilt.

Apr 16, 2019, 09:08

... this kind of tragedy makes one wonder ... just how stupid are the French ... ??

One would think that with their recent terror attacks they would have secured priceless building like this ... among other things.

They have such a rich history, going back centuries. 

When are they going to wake up?

Apr 16, 2019, 09:17

We are talking here of the fact that it is one of the oldest surviving structures of more than  800 hundred years of age  in Europe.   Historically it was always important to the French and it will be rebuilt - but much of the historic structure components will be lost.   

I still wonder how it started.  The French may yet come out with an explanation - to guess about a blowtorch starting it is ingenious - but highly unlikely.  

Apr 16, 2019, 11:24

As an apprentice i remember the old hands talking of soldering / brazing incidents where the building paper has caught resulting in fires so a bucket of water was always on hand ...simce then silicone rubber has replaced much of that as a way of joining metals ...but a building like this one would be a lot of copper and lead and therefore the need to weld , braze //solder i imagine in the interest of maintaing authenticity and integrity......so accidents can happen and do...building sites are inherently hazardous... that said could also be electrical fault/ wiring that caused it... anyones guess

Apr 16, 2019, 14:35

Image may contain: 1 person, meme and text

Apr 16, 2019, 14:39

Image may contain: people standing and outdoor

Apr 16, 2019, 17:34

SB

Who was that eye-witness and what was his hunch?    :D:D:D

Apr 16, 2019, 20:07

Not sure, their is another rumour about a dragon

No photo description available.

Apr 16, 2019, 21:33

:D:D:D

Should not laugh about this one - it certainly as from a cultural point of view a massive tragedy.

Apr 17, 2019, 20:02

The owner of the renovation team says all his staff were off site when the fire started. 

In 2018 over 800 churches in France were vandalused/desecrated. Wonder by who. 

Apr 17, 2019, 20:07

According to the Sun UK 875 French churches were vandalized in France in 2018.

Of course hate crimes against Jews have rocketed. 

Any ideas oaks? 

Apr 17, 2019, 21:09

Must be the Dragon then Beenz.

Apr 17, 2019, 21:26

Certainly the Dragon is at the bottom of it all!

Apr 18, 2019, 15:30

The latest report is that the Police has arrested a person they allege was responsible for starting the fire.   There was some reference to lighter fuel maybe used for lighting candles in the cathedral.  Full story not provided as yet.

You need to Log in to reply.