Oxford /Astrazeneca vaccine approved in the UK

Forum » Beenos Trumpet » Oxford /Astrazeneca vaccine approved in the UK

Dec 30, 2020, 12:24

It is now believed that a single dosage of Astrazeneca is strong enough to prevent deaths and severe sickness from Covid. 

The second dosage in 3 months time (instead of 3 weeks) is planned to just be for long term protection against Covid. 

A single dosage means that more people can be vaccinated quicker and therefore get to the point where the R-rate can never get above 1.0. 

Mass vaccinations using the Oxford vaccine start on the 4th of January. 

Dec 30, 2020, 19:59

Good news, I guess they have figured out how to calculate the dose! Jokes aside the 3 month spread is a big plus....it’s time to move on!

Dec 30, 2020, 20:14

Yes, Covid cases here have exploded over Christmas with the new strain. 60,000 in one day yesterday in the UK.
It is totally out of control, and at this rate- herd immunity would be achieved without a vaccine in 2021 or 2022- albeit more deaths and ongoing sickness. 

This new UK strain is now being discovered all over the world - in addition, to the new strain that developed in South Africa. 

I just cancelled a holiday to the Canary Islands -  because I would have to go through four airports. 
If I had caught Covid and it hit me badly, I would be in an overseas hospital. Disappointing as I really like going to a warm place to skip some of the winters here. 

I think the government in the UK should declare martial law and there should be a 2-week lockdown. Everyone should stay at home, to prevent getting Covid and spreading it. 

Let the country run with a skeleton staff- and give everyone who is apart of this the vaccine.
The virus dies in 14 days and is only transmissible for about 75% of this time. 

Let the army work with the post office to ensure all parcels and food deliveries from shops are run through ultraviolet light to kill all Covid making it not transmissible through the mail or from a delivery person (who would have already been vaccinated). 

Then no one can go to the shop, or anything. Just stay safe at home. 

Then in 2 weeks, the Covid numbers will be low. 
Then with more people taking the vaccine each day, or having already been infected- it may never gain traction again by being able to get above a 1.0 rate. This is a double-pronged approach to gaining herd immunity. 

That could be the last lockdown in the UK, and the rest of the world will also start taking the increasingly available vaccines to develop herd immunity globally. 

Dec 30, 2020, 22:35

We currently have it haha

My blood oxygen is a steady 99% saturation but my partner's is pretty low at 93-94%...yes, we have a blood oxygen monitor.

She's on blood thinners due to a pulmonary embolism some years back.

Slight headache but otherwise not too bad.

Luckily we keep fit, aren't overweight and I made a point of spending lots of time in the sun this year. 

Quite concerned for the older folk in my family though as it's now at the point where everyone should get it pretty soon and SA hasn't secured any vaccinations for now.

Still don't think I'd get vaccinated in the first few years but it's a pity that people who want it can't get it.

Shark, if you do get to the Canary Islands...make a point of checking out how they get their fresh water. It's pretty ingenious.

Dec 31, 2020, 22:56

@Plum,

Hope you feel better soon. Sounds positive so far, I think most cases that get bad - do so in the first few days. 

I have been to Lanzarote 2 years ago, but just for 3 weeks. I was hoping to go to Fuertenfentura for 2 months, or perhaps a bit longer. 

As I work over the internet remotely- taking some time away is possible. 
Although, I was expecting the phone line quality to also be better than the connection in Lanzarote. 

I was not aware of the water idea, and just Google'd it, and it seems pretty innovative.

The waves in Lanzarote are amazing, although the best spots have the most fierce localism I have ever seen - and it makes it hard to get a good wave - at least at the very best surf spots.
One spot in Lanzarote is almost as good as Pipeline, in Hawaii.
Both islands are heavily volcanic and changing over time. 

Fuerteventura also has localism, but when I was in Lanzarote, I Google'd worst surf localism spots in the world- and every website had x2 spots in Lanzarote in the top three every time. 

Jan 01, 2021, 02:33

Good luck Plum to you and your lady.

Jan 01, 2021, 08:21

We're all good thanks guys. 

I was asymptomatic for the most part. My partners medical history was the only concern but dealing with my COVID jokes was the worst part for her haha. You've only had a small taste of my poor "humor" on here...haha. 

I've never surfed, Shark. 

If I had a life do-over I'd probably make a point of getting into surfing as it's always looked like a great hobby. I suppose, being from Natal, surfing was a right of passage for you.

Perhaps in that life I won't have a fear of sharks and murky water either.

Jan 01, 2021, 22:35

Best wishes to your partner Plum. I also suffer with pulmonary embolism  and I can assure you it is not easy (in my case) to live with. Blood saturation of 93-94 is pretty normal for us. The killer is high air temperature with a high humidity (something like  Durban's summer climate).

Jan 02, 2021, 12:02

Thanks Blikkies and sorry to hear about your condition. Always kak to hear about good peolple suffering.

Luckily she's a super-nerd so takes very good care of herself. I also managed to get her to stop smoking years ago, so that's a plus.

She's still a bit groggy now and I'm completely fine. 

Just  wish big-tech wasn't censoring doctors giving people advice about fitness, diet, lifestyle and vitamins as regards COVID. When I speak to people, it's quite clear that there is a huge information gap when it comes to preparing for the being infected...and it's totally unnecessary in today's world of instant communication. 

You need to Log in to reply.