Sewerage 720 000 litres per hour of into Durban Harbour

Forum » Beenos Trumpet » Sewerage 720 000 litres per hour of into Durban Harbour

May 13, 2019, 12:31

Cape Town - A surfing contest scheduled for this weekend at Durban's North Beach has been cancelled due to safety reasons.

The Zigzag Durban Surf Pro, scheduled to run from May 10-12, has been cancelled due to Durban's beaches being closed because of high levels of sewerage from Durban Harbour affecting the surrounding area, Zigzag's official website confirmed on Friday.

A statement from the city read:

"Please be advised that we are suspending all diving operations and fishing in the port due to the sewage flowing into the port. It is approximately 720 000 litters per hour that is flowing through.

"The City has taken the sewage pumps out and these pumps require spares that will be coming from overseas.

"Our Environmental Department has been engaging with the City but will only be able to contain this spillage earliest by the 31st May 2019.

"Furthermore, damages on City infrastructure are making matters worse. Port of Durban has invoked BCP as we need to do water samples. We need to test for dissolved oxygen levels, and do an analysis of faecal contamination across the port."

The organisers, Accelerate Sport and World Surf League (WSL), said there was not enough time to relocate the event.

"With regards to relocating the event, it's not as easy as it seems. Accelerate Sports weighed up various options but logistically, it simply wasn’t possible.

"The difficulty of moving locations is that it would have taken at least a day to secure a permit for an event of this size, but the event would also need three days to run and complete.

"Starting the event and not being able to complete it by Sunday 12 May 2019 would have meant no winners would have been finalised and the surfers competing would have forfeited a refund of their entry fees. WSL rules, as soon as an event gets underway, the option of refunds falls away if an event is incomplete."

May 13, 2019, 15:48

talking shit again, huh?

May 13, 2019, 16:54

CC

This is actually serious  -  the City is just pumping sewerage into the harbor because of breakdowns in their badly managed sewerage system.   A major part o the Harbour is covered by plastic bags dumped by the present inhabitants along the Victoria embankment. A pig sry is a good description of what is happening there.  

May 13, 2019, 18:44

Shocking and gives one utter despair to think that human beings can do this...just shows how impaired those in municipal and govt are...how utterly thoughtless, lazy and irresponsible.

Unfortunately black people in majority cannot rule without european and civilised government.

Simple things like just being clean and enviroment conservation don't bang bells in their selfish and uncivilised skulls, yeah not all but enough that over populate our municipal and govt officialdom.

That's not racist but a hard cold fact sadly...it's so sad. Not one country in Africa since Colonialism is better off...certainly not the poor.

May 14, 2019, 09:00

I have a park close to where I live, where children are brought to play on the swings and jungle gyms ... where families bring their dogs for an outing ... unfortunately, there's a taxi rank across the street, and the black commuters are often found in the park openly urinating and defecating there. 

There's bits of shit stained toilet paper and newspapers all over the place.

I have never seen a white persons stoop so low.

They have no shame.

This too isn't being racist ... it's cold hard facts.

Needless to say, I avoid that park now.

May 14, 2019, 09:55

Between the center of Riversdale and the new township for the poor there is a graveyard, then the N2 and a park - at one stage one of the most beautiful imaginable.   So what happened?   The walkers broke down the gravestones in the graveyard  and they left the park full of broken bottles and rubbish.  Their is a little stream running through the park and that makes for use as a urinal.  A stinking and polluted mess.

I had to have my parents grave stone repaired. 

It is an utter disgrace and the Municipality cannot keep up with the destruction and since nobody dares to enter the park a new proposal is to sell it to a developer to lay out an enclosed  sectional title complex.   

One dares not even mentioned anything since it would land you in legal trouble - but it is indeed a total mess. 

May 14, 2019, 12:14

And the Mayor of E'Thekwini Metro (Durban) was arrested for bribery and corruption relating to waste disposal contracts - where money was paid to 4 contractors without services being rendered, 

A nice juicy court case is on the cards for that Zumanoid.

So what is coming up - two other KwaZulu-Natal Mayors arrested connecting them to murder,   The Zumanoid faction would not like what is coming to them.       

May 15, 2019, 08:21

It's never ending, Mike.

Beautiful places that once attracted people by the thousands are now being avoided since the black man took over.

Why is it necessary to destroy everything?

There is a public swimming pool just outside Kempton Park which I greatly enjoyed as a kid ... it has since been drained and is now used to dump filled garbage bags in.

You can smell it from a mile away and the municipality does nothing. There's even a few squatters living in their tin shacks within the enclosure ...  

I wish I could leave this continent. It's would never seem me again if ever I managed it.

You need to Log in to reply.