The Indian Variant

Forum » Beenos Trumpet » The Indian Variant

May 20, 2021, 14:25

The UK variant is estimated to be around 70% more transmissible than the original variant from China. The  Indian Variant could be more than 50% transmissible than the UK variant.

Each level of lockdown becomes less effective as the transmissibility increases. Countries that did well at the start of Covid, done worse as new variant transmissibility increased.  

So far it is believed that current vaccines are effective against the Indian variant. The UK is in a rush to vaccinate faster to prevent another wave. It does however seem mRNA vaccines are more resistant to variants than viral vector technology like AstraZeneca and Johnston & Johnston- and Sputnek 5. 

The Indian variant is expected to become the dominant strain in the UK within weeks. A good chance it will become the dominant variant in the world as more cases are discovered. 

I see the Blue Bulls have a player who had long Covid, he was out of rugby for 5 months- but is now playing again. (Probably the South African variant). 

On the positive side, more vaccine is available around the world, so this might help stop the next variant - while combating the current variants. 

May 20, 2021, 16:43

With the freedom of movement between Ireland and Northern Ireland there is no way we can stop the Indian variant taking hold if it becomes dominate in the UK.

Really is race against time. Our vaccine program has picked up speed recently but we are a few weeks behind the UK, I suspect my age cohert will get its first jab next month, most likely it will be Pfizer.

Looking forward to getting back to normal.

May 20, 2021, 17:26

I see Northern Ireland is ahead of the rest of the UK. They are now inviting people 25 and older to get jabs.  

The UK government is going to make a decision on vaccinating children in around 1-2 months once all adults are vaccinated. 

May 20, 2021, 17:35

"Looking forward to getting back to normal."

Nothing will be the same again. This is the new normal. We'll manage it as good as we can and get used to living like we have to...the vax won't be a fix like with polio and smallpox. ..it might help for a while, and mabe we will adapt and live with like we do live with flu...but vaccine even 100% of the population won't stop it...I hope I'm wrong...we'll see soon.

May 20, 2021, 17:43

My problem is the vaccine does not effect spreading of the virus, but help  with serious illnesses of infected people.    So whatever happens vaccination will not effect transmission at all.   

I have registered to get  the jabs but was not informed  yet when to get the jabs.    In  a way I would be happier if the vaccines prevents transmission  even by people that has been vaccinated - but experts all  over the world claim it does not and I have seen no reports to the contrary anywhere.         

May 20, 2021, 17:53

Tests in the UK and US have reported around 70% reduction in transmission after vaccination. Though that might vary by the variant. 

May 20, 2021, 19:53

50% in South Africa, according to the government. 

Jun 02, 2021, 19:24

Cases in the UK have gone from under 2000 per day to 4000 per day in about 10 days. That is even with 3/4 of the population vaccinated with 1 dose, and about half with a second dose. 
It is mostly younger people that are reporting infections, so it shows the vaccines work. 

Looks like the start of the third wave...

The Indian variant is going to create problems all around the world for the foreseeable future. 

Jun 02, 2021, 19:31

..so says the BBC.

Jun 02, 2021, 20:12

@ButtPlug,

South Africa is about to go into a third wave as well. It is only a matter of time before the Indian variant takes over from the UK variant as the dominant globalist variant. 

The South African variant does not appear to be as transmissible as even the UK variant. If SA gets the Indian variant Covid will be much worse. 

Jun 02, 2021, 20:17

Yes we have now heard the same claim for the UK variant, the SouthAfrican variant and this Indian variant. But Indian cases have dropped from 400000 a day at the peak back to 133000 cases per day. In a population of 1.4 billion!!

So far India has had 28 million cases, one case in 50 people living cheek to jowl in huge cities. If this variant is 2.5 times as transmissible as the Wuhan virus one would have expected more cases.

Jun 02, 2021, 20:22

India's recent wave peaked and dropped because of lockdowns.
It is the only way to tackle the problem quickly, at least until herd immunity from the vaccine. 

India has also claimed all the AstraZeneca vaccine that was being produced in India - so they must be doing mass vaccinations. 

South Africa will struggle to go into a third lockdown, more so than richer countries.
70+50 = 120% increase is transmissibility, not 2.5 times. 

Jun 02, 2021, 20:35

Your words:

The UK variant is estimated to be around 70% more transmissible than the original variant from China. The  Indian Variant could be more than 50% transmissible than the UK variant.

Basic arithmetic:

UKR=WRx1.7

IR=UKRx1.5=WRx1.7X1.5= 2.55WR

So the Indian rate according to you is 2.55 times as transmissible as the UK rate. Lefties shouldn’t  use numbers.

Jun 02, 2021, 20:39

Those numbers are wrong. You are using 1.5, instead of 0.5, and 1.7 instead of 0.7. 

1 + 100% = 2.

1 + 50% = 1.5    (This is a 50% increase of the base transmissibility). 

Jun 02, 2021, 21:01

Are you sh!tting us?

Jun 03, 2021, 00:27

Unfortunately he isn’t....Lefties have trouble with numbers.

Jun 03, 2021, 00:30

If you take any number and add 100% - it doubles the original number.

So if a variant is 70% more transmissive, it is less than double the original number. 
1 +70% = 1.7 

That is the law of physics chappie, an objective universal truth - not faith-based truth. :P

If someone grows by 20%, they are 20% taller than their original height.
Original Height + 20% = new height. 
If someone is 5 foot, and they grow to 6 foot- they have become 20% taller. 

Jun 03, 2021, 03:02

Precisely.....let’s assume 100 people are infected in Wuhan. If the UK variant is 70% more infectious than the Wuhan version, instead of 100 people being infected 170 people are infected.

But if they had gotten the Indian variant 50% more people would have been infected than the UK variant (your words not mine). So rather than 170 people being infected 255 would have been infected

So 2.55 times the original 100 were infected. This has nothing to do with physics, it’s primary school arithmetic. I’m not really sure what your major malfunction is, but it appears to be serious. See a doctor.

Jun 03, 2021, 05:30

"That is the law of physics chappie, an objective universal truth - not faith-based truth. :P"

LMAO!!!

Jun 03, 2021, 08:06

My morning coffee almost came out my nose. 

VisKop, tell us again about "zi science".

Plank.

Jun 03, 2021, 08:09

Thought you would like that...I wonder how he calculates mark-up?

Jun 03, 2021, 08:32

Mark-up or pop-up?

Jun 03, 2021, 08:48

Jun 03, 2021, 09:04

I see your math PHD and I raise you my drivel.

hahaha

Jun 03, 2021, 09:13

Jun 03, 2021, 09:18

Before this disappears!:D:D:D

"

mozart on Ruckers Forum

mozart

Hall Of Fame

33349 posts

Jun 02, 2021, 20:17

Yes we have now heard the same claim for the UK variant, the SouthAfrican variant and this Indian variant. But Indian cases have dropped from 400000 a day at the peak back to 133000 cases per day. In a population of 1.4 billion!!

So far India has had 28 million cases, one case in 50 people living cheek to jowl in huge cities. If this variant is 2.5 times as transmissible as the Wuhan virus one would have expected more cases.

0 0 Likes

sharkbok on Ruckers Forum

sharkbok

Hall Of Fame

13377 posts

Jun 02, 2021, 20:22

India's recent wave peaked and dropped because of lockdowns.

It is the only way to tackle the problem quickly, at least until herd immunity from the vaccine. 

India has also claimed all the AstraZeneca vaccine that was being produced in India - so they must be doing mass vaccinations. 

South Africa will struggle to go into a third lockdown, more so than richer countries.

70+50 = 120% increase is transmissibility, not 2.5 times. 

0 0 Likes

mozart on Ruckers Forum

mozart

Hall Of Fame

33349 posts

Jun 02, 2021, 20:35

Your words:

Basic arithmetic:

UKR=WRx1.7

IR=UKRx1.5=WRx1.7X1.5= 2.55WR

So the Indian rate according to you is 2.55 times as transmissible as the UK rate. Lefties shouldn’t  use numbers.

0 0 Likes

sharkbok

Hall Of Fame

13377 posts

Jun 02, 2021, 20:39

Those numbers are wrong. You are using 1.5, instead of 0.5, and 1.7 instead of 0.7. 

1 + 100% = 2.

1 + 50% = 1.5    (This is a 50% increase of the base transmissibility). 

0 0 Likes

DbDraad on Ruckers Forum

DbDraad

Hall Of Fame

14120 posts

Jun 02, 2021, 21:01

Are you sh!tting us?

0 0 Likes

mozart on Ruckers Forum

mozart

Hall Of Fame

33349 posts

Jun 03, 2021, 00:27

Unfortunately he isn’t....Lefties have trouble with numbers.

0 0 Likes

sharkbok

Hall Of Fame

13377 posts

Jun 03, 2021, 00:30

If you take any number and add 100% - it doubles the original number.

So if a variant is 70% more transmissive, it is less than double the original number. 

1 +70% = 1.7 

That is the law of physics chappie, an objective universal truth - not faith-based truth. :P

If someone grows by 20%, they are 20% taller than their original height.

If someone is 5 foot, and they grow to 6 foot- they have become 20% taller. 

Jun 03, 2021, 09:50

This though...

"That is the law of physics "chappie", an objective universal truth - not faith-based truth."

:'(

The levels of screwery in that sentence are unprecedented and will remain hilarious until the end of time.

Jun 03, 2021, 10:08

"If someone grows by 20%, they are 20% taller than their original height.

If someone is 5 foot, and they grow to 6 foot- they have become 20% taller. "

Jun 03, 2021, 10:08

I would ask for a refund for your maths degree, it seems like a waste of money. 

Although the far right is so blinded by ideology, it is pointless for them to learn maths or science. 
They will try to shape the world to fit their Arab ideology, even if that includes lying to themselves. To dishonest for science, and stuck believing in Noah's ark. 
That is part of being a good Fake Christian or Arab- living a lie. 

It is very simple, a 70% increase is not a + 1.7 increase, it is +0.7. 
Even Dolph "Lungerin" sic" would know that.

A 20% increase in transmissibility is + 0.2% (not 1.2) 

Just like if someone is 5 foot, if they grow by 20%  - they come 6 foot.
If someone is 5 foot, if they grow by 120% they become 11 foot. 

Very simple stuff... No need for a doctrine. Honesty is something inherent in someone, it is not something that can be bought. 

Jun 03, 2021, 10:17

Draad I have tried to make it simple so even you can understand. 

a 20% increase is + 0.2, not + 1.2 

5 Foot +20% = 6 foot (correct) 

5 Foot + 120% =  11 Foot. 

Use a calculator... Try refuting what I am saying logically, instead of being a blue-arse horse fly around Mozart. 
---
Buttplug is dependent on his YouTube education and world of conspiracies, so we cant expect independent thought from him. 

Jun 03, 2021, 10:37

I would ask for a refund for your maths degree, it seems like a waste of money. 

Although the far right is so blinded by ideology, it is pointless for them to learn maths or science. 
They will try to shape the world to fit their Arab ideology, even if that includes lying to themselves. To dishonest for science, and stuck believing in Noah's ark. 
That is part of being a good Fake Christian or Arab- living a lie. 

It is very simple, a 70% increase is not a + 1.7 increase, it is +0.7.  (or original value x 1.7, what is 1 + 0.7?)
Even Dolph Lungerin" sic" would know that. (He's got a degree in Chemical engineering, so he probably knows that, yes)

A 20% increase in transmissibility is + 0.2% (not 1.2) (No, it is multiplied by 1.2 idiot)

Just like if someone is 5 foot, if they grow by 20%  - they come 6 foot. (I'm stumped how you managed to calculate that correctly)
If someone is 5 foot, if they grow by 120% they become 11 foot. (No sh!t Sherlock)

"Draad I have tried to make it simple so even you can understand. "

"Use a calculator..."

Maybe you should stop using one and exercise your brain for a change.

Jun 03, 2021, 11:29

This is becoming funnier by the moment.

Now we have inserted a strawman in order to cover poor maths.

We are perhaps only a hair's breadth away from bringing in UFO's to bolster the argument.

...and it's not even Friday yet.

Please keep going $ussieVissie.

Draad, when last did you laugh out loud at a thread like you have this one?

Jun 03, 2021, 11:29

My guess is that anyone who is not part of the far religious right would agree with the facts. 
70% increase =  +0.7

However, most of these "people" that cant understand primary school maths are also anti-vax conspiracists. so it is not as if they live in reality anyway.
If their church minister tells them that the tooth fairy exists, then so be it- it becomes reality. 

The same clowns who try to argue with scientists. They can't keep up with logic, so their only option is a conspiracy, misinformation, and disinformation. 

The same clowns who would try fix their car themselves instead of using a certified expert mechanic. 

Jun 03, 2021, 11:33

We are dealing with the same person that doesn't understand the difference between possibility and probability.

The guy actually thinks the two words mean the same thing. Cos of all zi sciencing.

Is it possible for a pop-up merchant to make sense? Yes.

Is it probable? No.

hahaha

You plank!!!!

Jun 03, 2021, 11:48

The same ButtPlug who worked at Mcdonald's and argued at a braai with a scientist who had a doctrine. :D

ButtPlug then claimed that people with doctrines are stupid, because this person was struggling to turn his patty at the braai...

The far-right fear science, because it can destroy their tooth fairy reality...
They fear the honesty and truth that science provides, and this crushes their little reality of going to heaven... For they are God's people after all, for it was they that stole the Jewish Bible, and passed it off as a Western Bible with a white God and white Jesus. 

Just like how the Boers stole the "Western" Bible and turned the Great Trek into the promised land, with black people the slaves given by God...The alt-right...

Jun 03, 2021, 12:09

Haha and God enters the debate.

Planky, you really are a special one.

Jun 03, 2021, 12:11

"My guess is that anyone who is not part of the far right would agree with the facts. 

70% increase =  +0.7"

No, it's +(0.7 x the amount/quantity) which equates to multiplying the amount/quantity by 1.7.

Increase "A" by 70% = 1.7"A"= 1.7x"A"

Jun 03, 2021, 12:13

Plum, he's gotta be trolling...

Jun 03, 2021, 12:29

Here are x2 calculators.
I suggest you use them, but you won't because it is created by evil scientists. 
You want to remain a child with your tooth fairy fantasies... Anything that destroys your fantasy reality is blocked.

----

This is another calculator. So now you have 2 calculators. 1 +1 = 2. 

Jun 03, 2021, 13:02

You don't need a calculator for basic arithmetic...and that seems to be the problem...

Jun 03, 2021, 13:04

Lol Draad

He still hasn't seen it. I really don't know how, but he hasn't. And this from the guy that uses "blind faith" as a crutch in almost every argument. Priceless.

I kinda wanna put him out of his misery but the cruel part of me wants this to go on forever...

Jun 03, 2021, 13:05

If the penny drops, but VisKop doesn't hear it...did it drop at all?

hahahahaha

Jun 03, 2021, 13:06

Snarkhole...from one of your calculator links...try it on a piece of paper if it's too complicated for you.:angel:

"

How to Calculate Percentage Increase

• Subtract final value minus starting value
  • Divide that amount by the absolute value of the starting value
  • Multiply by 100 to get percent increase
  • If the percentage is negative, it means there was a decrease and not an increase.

Percentage Increase Formula

You can use the percentage increase formula for any percent increase calculation:

Percentage Increase=Final Value?Starting Value|Starting Value|×100" role="presentation" style="display: inline; line-height: normal; text-align: left; word-spacing: normal; overflow-wrap: normal; white-space: nowrap; float: none; direction: ltr; max-width: none; max-height: none; min-width: 0px; min-height: 0px; border: 0px; padding: 0px; margin: 0px; position: relative;">

Jun 03, 2021, 13:11

He'll disappear when it twigs.:D:D:D

Jun 03, 2021, 13:20

The answer I provided is consistent with what both calculators delivered. 

Notice how I can provide evidence and third-party sources to back up what I say. 
The people who created these calculators obviously know a lot about maths. 

All you have are Qanon that will back you... Brains support my viewpoint, whereas you have monkeys. 

Jun 03, 2021, 13:36

"he answer I provided is consistent with what both calculators delivered. "

The answer is correct...the way you explained the logic to get to the answer is not...the fact that you can't understand what I'm telling you is absolutely mindboggling...

100% + 70% = 170%

1 + 0.7 = 1.7

If you want to increase something by 70%, you multiply by 1.7, you can't just add (+) 0.7...that only works for one (1) ...if you want to increase 5 by 70%: 5 x 1.7 = 8.5   or 5 + (5 x 0.7) = 5 + 3.5 = 8.5....your calculator does it automatically...

Jun 03, 2021, 13:45

"Notice how I can provide evidence and third-party sources to back up what I say. 

The people who created these calculators obviously know a lot about maths."

They also seems to know a lot about stupid people because they obviously dumbed down arithmetic enough for you to use it.

"All you have are Qanon that will back you... Brains support my viewpoint, whereas you have monkeys."

Jun 03, 2021, 13:47

Jun 03, 2021, 14:10

The calculators prove my sum was correct. Enough said...

Any number + 100% doubles the original number. It does not just have to be a base of 1, the original number can be anything. 

You never gave your own sum, so can I assume you accept Mozart's as fact?  However, now you appear to be saying that my figures are correct. (e.g. that 70% is less than 1). 
Thanks....

Can you provide a calculator that will confirm that Mozart's number is correct? No you cant...

Science and maths agree with me, but you still have Qanon conspiracies... Without the crutch of religion, your left without a pot to piss in. Qanon is an awakening. It is the dumb religious simpletons starting to realize that the tooth fairy does not exist. Their reality is just one to be ridiculed.... :D

Jun 03, 2021, 14:15

Please, never, never ever let this thread end!!!

Jun 03, 2021, 14:28

One more time, because, well because this sentence needs to be carved in stone and will hopefully be the last surviving remnant of humanity's existence on this earth.

"That is the law of physics chappie, an objective universal truth - not faith-based truth. :P"

Jun 03, 2021, 14:41

Here's a sentence to be etched into Ruckers Forum history:

"You want clearer images.

Here's one taken in 1956 by a female South African pilot as she was flying above one. The original photos were auctioned off recently.

1950s Photoshop?"

LMAO!

Jun 03, 2021, 14:44

"It is the dumb religious simpletons starting to realize that the tooth fairy does not exist."

LOL

Jun 03, 2021, 14:46

...and Rooi still hasn't twigged.:D:D:D

Jun 03, 2021, 14:54

Whooooooooossshhhhhhhh!

Jun 03, 2021, 14:58

"Can you provide a calculator that will confirm that Mozart's number is correct? "

"The UK variant is estimated to be around 70% more transmissible than the original variant from China. The  Indian Variant could be more than 50% transmissible than the UK variant."

Original = 1, UK=1+70%=1.7, India= UK+50%=1.7+50%= 1.7 + 0.85 =2.55

So, yes, his answer is right, go punch it yourself.

See if you can spot your error idiot, I can't draw pictures on the laptop....well, I can, but not any that can help you.:D

Jun 03, 2021, 15:02

Jun 03, 2021, 14:54

Whooooooooossshhhhhhhh!

Actually the whooooosh is on you, you just don't want to get it, because you are focussing on the wrong facts...a bit of slight of hand by Plum, but it shouldn't have escaped you, you're just too stubborn to admit it.

Jun 03, 2021, 15:11

What Poor Old Shark has not processed is when you have a 50% increase ......you multiply the original by 1.5 to get the resultant amount. As simple as that.....lefties can’t multiply.

Jun 03, 2021, 15:12

"Slight of hand"?

Ummmm . . . is that someone with small hands . . . like Bozo?

LMAO!

Jun 03, 2021, 15:13

Woooosh....hahaha .....Peeper desperately trying to provide air cover for his fellow Leftie.

Jun 03, 2021, 15:20

"Woooosh....hahaha .....Peeper desperately trying to provide air cover for his fellow Leftie."

Not sure where to start here . . . the old fool who can't spell "whoosh", the notion that I'm supporting Sharkbok in any way on this thread or the insinuation that I'm a "leftie".

Probably best to just leave Moffie and his Servile Gimp the Squeaky Toy to their delusional little fantasies. Neither one is intelligent enough to realize how stupid he sounds.

Jun 03, 2021, 15:24

Yet my answer is supported by x2 calculators.
If I am right, which both calculators confirm, then any alternative answer is wrong...

Any honest and sensible person would concede. 

50% +70% = 120  (not 250).
That is just more than double the original number. 

Show me the calculator to confirm your "maths". (sic)
I see you are slowly changing your numbers now that a calculator is involved, but it does not detract from your error. 

A bit like the far-right believing centrists is left-wingers...

And yes, Squeaky Toy has proven once again he is a servile gimp. He does not want to think, he just tries to find loose bricks that are removed from context- to try to construct his version of reality...

Jun 03, 2021, 15:44

‘Woooosh  the old fool who doesn’t know how to spell woosh’......waaaaaahahaha.....the spelling defence. Sure Peeper I thought woosh had four ‘o’s.

And Shark still won’t admit what is obvious to everybody. 

So here is your homework Shark. If  100 people would have become infected with the Wuhan virus, how many people would have been infected by the UK variant if it is 70% more infectious than the Wuhan.....and how many people would have been infected by the Indian variant if it is 50% more infectious than the UK variant.

One number please and you can use your calculator.

Jun 03, 2021, 15:46

Look, I'm happy to draw a line under this...

Provided, SussieVissie promises to recite his times tables tonight.

Jun 03, 2021, 15:49

We know that anti-vaxxers like ButtPlug and Draad - along with other retards (usually religious) are not very good with maths. 

Like Fauci says: " Taking the vaccine is a no-brainer".  

Nursery school maths could work out the risk of the vaccine is much, much lower than getting Covid. 

For every million that take the vaccine, there is less than 1 death. 
For every million that get Covid, thousands die. (Something like 1%).
That also does not factor in related diseases like Long Covid, and lung and other organ damage of survivors.

Blinded by ideology, it has left them stupid.
Somehow all the governments are in cahoots in this conspiracy to bring about mark of the beast... 
It is embarrassing that 10-year-old children have more common sense than these simpletons who claim to be adults.

Jun 03, 2021, 15:57

Diversion alert.

Jun 03, 2021, 16:06

Mozart while your maths was wrong, you at least accept that the people who created the vaccine know more than you- about the science and maths of vaccines. (even if you do not accept the calculators that prove you wrong).  

You are a bit like Tucker Carlson. Complain about science all of the time, but you were one of the first ones in the queue to get your shot. 

I remember some of your rants on this board about not being able to buy the vaccine to jump to the front of the queue. You hated having to wait behind people older and more at risk than you. No one wanted the vaccine more than you, and you would even be willing to pay a bribe for it. 

Other conservatives (the stupid anti-vaxxer ones) like Draad and Beeno will be taken sooner than later by Covid... 
The US still leads the way for most deaths in the world. Thanks to Trump America became the Kings of Ventilators and Covid.

The world has seen that Americans have some smart Democratic people, but most of the Republicans are not first-world people. 
It is clearly a country in decline, propped up by Big Tech. 

Jun 03, 2021, 16:26

Anyone notice a pattern?

God, Qanon, Trump, Rednecks....squeal bubble beep beep boop boop.

Does your calculator also make beep sounds, VisKop?

Jun 03, 2021, 17:28

I too have noticed that pattern.

99.9% of anti-vaxxers are religious- and they are conspiracists, they are Trump lovers, or/and Rednecks.

My calculator(s) works great. They confirm my logic.
That is the difference I can prove my opinion in this instance is a fact. 

The alternative reality crew don't like facts. They hate fact-checkers.  They love conspiracies so they can avoid the truth. 

Jun 03, 2021, 18:21

VisKop,

Pathetic.

Nuf said.

Jun 03, 2021, 19:38

Snarkhole, I'm not anti-vax,  all 3 my boys are fully vaxed, and then some...I just don't feel comfortable with the experimental covid vax yet... and the way the whole media establishment is suddenly parroting the same mantra should raise a few eyebrows....as for Calculus...stick with your calculator....woordsomme issie jou ding nie....stick to internet-bevarking.

PS, unnecessary medical procedures/treatments does more harm than good...see the over use/ un-effective use of antibiotics, malaria and TB drugs.

Jun 03, 2021, 20:25

meanwhile...

Jun 03, 2021, 20:35

Aren't the UK almost fully vaxed?

Jun 03, 2021, 20:42

We had 3382 cases yesterday and we're approaching winter...are actuallyin winter...almost the same population size as the UK, with almost no vaccinations and an ill-complient populace...the science doesn't gel...some unknown factors in the equations...

Jun 03, 2021, 20:49

PS, Plum...this thread is proof that there is a God and that He has a very sharp sense of humor.:D:D:D

Jun 03, 2021, 21:13

Shark I have played a nice round of golf in the fresh air, no Covid in the sunlight as the Donald pointed out. But I’m disappointed to find you haven’t provided the number. You brought it up.....tell us how much more infectious the Indian virus is than the Wuhan virus.....one number please.

Jun 03, 2021, 21:13

Yes, it is surprising that the number of infections could double in 1 week, given over 70% of the population is vaccinated. 

Only 50% of all adults have had both vaccines.

It does raise questions about AstraZeneca if people are getting infected so highly- "if" they have had the vaccine already. It seems almost impossible - "if" the vaccine works well. 

Number of deaths is the key metric, but reducing cases would be ideal. 

Jun 03, 2021, 21:23

I just got out of the water after surfing. Lovely weather today. 

I have provided 2 calculators that show how I worked out the number. If you are not going to accept these, it is your choice.
However while you can have your own opinion, but you can't have your own facts. 

The calculators produce the same result I did, albeit they are using different methods for the calculation. I provided a simpler method that is easier to work out in your head without using a calculator, but the value is the same. 

Jun 03, 2021, 23:01

What is the number?

Jun 04, 2021, 01:06

Taking a number and multiplying by 1.7 is exactly the same as adding 70% to a number. Draad pointed this out.

So let’s use your methodology......take 100 people affected by the Wuhan virus, add 70% to that and you get 170 people affected by the  UK virus. ......stay with me now.

Now take the 170 affected by the UK  virus and add 85 or 50% to get to the Indian virus and we have 255 cases.

Do you have a different number?

Jun 04, 2021, 06:14

yes Moz...he got 120, that's where the whole thing started.:D:D:D

He's just too chicken to admit his gaffe. 

Jun 04, 2021, 08:09

...did you use a calculator though?

If so, did it beep?

:angel:

Jun 04, 2021, 09:20

Jun 04, 2021, 11:25

I have already marked this thread as another victory to me. 
All answers have been provided, just read this thread from start to finish.

70+50% = 120% increase. (not 250%). The calculators confirm that this is a little more than double the transmissibility rate. 
There is no need to thank me, but I will be available next week to sign autographs for all my fans. 

Signing out, from yours truly, and Dolph Lungersin (sic)

Latest Number 1 GIFs | Gfycat

dolph lundgren GIFs - Primo GIF - Latest Animated GIFs

sylvester stallone dolph lundgren gif | WiffleGif

Jun 04, 2021, 11:48

Haha signing out?

Don't you mean falling off?

Jun 04, 2021, 15:33

Hahahaha please mark this thread it’s a classic. Hint the 50% refers to an increase off the UK variant, not the Wuhan variant. You can’t apply the 50% to the Wuhan variant which is what you are doing.

Jun 04, 2021, 16:24

I see what you mean now...:D

(1 + 70%) + 50% = 2.55

That is a valid point, 
Although that simple sum showing the order of precedence would have clarified it.
Draad and ButtPlug offered nothing in the argument... 

Jun 04, 2021, 18:37

What could we add, Viskop?

Never stop a man on form. Just clap at the right times.

haha

Jun 04, 2021, 19:58

Noone has won this thread. The base statistics are numbers plucked from nowhere. It's a fact that numbers have been padded by non-Covid cases. We don't know how transmittable the virus is; we will likely never know. 

Jun 05, 2021, 07:47

Aug, if you looked through this thread you'll have seen the level of simpleton we're dealing with.

Here, he made a clear, really dumb and provable error...yet still declared himself "the winner".

Arguing anything even remotely abstract or nuanced with these types is entirely pointless. You'll just get second-hand CNN and BBC talking points chucked at you IE "zi science".

Jun 05, 2021, 10:24

"I see what you mean now...:D

(1 + 70%) + 50% = 2.55"

"That is a valid point, 
Although that simple sum showing the order of precedence would have clarified it."

This didn't:

"Original = 1, UK=1+70%=1.7, India= UK+50%=1.7+50%= 1.7 + 0.85 =2.55"

You were too invested in being a snark smart-ass to realize your blunder...a man must always know his limitations...you clearly don't...a calculator is just a tool, it means nothing if you can't use it correctly. 

Jun 05, 2021, 11:24

This thread has turned into a Viking funeral. 

Not in the respectful sense. Just, there's a dead/defeated corpse floating down river to a volley of flaming arrows. 

We all thought it would be his poor calculations of blood alcohol levels(remember that gem?) that would do him in. Ultimately, nobody could have guessed he'd run headlong off of a cliff shouting "I win," as he did so.

Jun 05, 2021, 16:40

Now that had me in stitches Plum....I love your Viking warrior analogy. It’s funny how humor trips up some posters, guys who really don’t have a sense of humor.....Mike, Rooinek, Denny, Stav.....guys who don’t get irony. Oddly I think Shark actually does have a sense of humor, but not in his new role of Viking warrior apparently.

Jun 05, 2021, 20:37

Haha thanks, Moz.

It is actually what I pictured as poor postmortem Sharkie managed to draw further fire from Draad.

Perhaps he sees the funny side now, from somewhere in Valhalla.

You need to Log in to reply.