Timeline: President Trump’s comments on the coronavirus

Forum » Beenos Trumpet » Timeline: President Trump’s comments on the coronavirus

Oct 04, 2020, 23:58

President Donald Trump has sought to minimise the risks of the coronavirus since it first emerged and has contradicted US public health experts as he pushed to reopen the US economy.

On the campaign trail, Trump has mocked his Democratic rival Joe Biden for excessive caution and warned voters Biden would seek to shut down the US economy to control the virus.

Now Trump’s comments discounting the risks of COVID-19 are coming under new scrutiny following disclosure he and his wife Melania Trump have tested positive for the virus.

Here is a timeline of key statements by Trump about the coronavirus:

September 29: Trump says he wears a mask ‘when needed’ and sees ‘no negative effect’ from rallies

In his first debate with Democratic rival, Joe Biden, Trump said he wore a mask “when needed”, pulling one out from his breast pocket.

The US president disparaged Biden’s caution in adhering to social-distancing rules, saying: “We’ve had no negative effect” from the large public campaign rallies.

“Every time you see him, he’s got a mask. He could be speaking 200 feet away from them, and he shows up with the biggest mask I’ve ever seen,” Trump said of Biden.

September 16: Trump says US deaths would be lower without ‘blue states’

Trump claimed his administration had saved 1.5 million lives by keeping US deaths about “100,000 to 240,000”.

“If you take the blue states out, we’re at a level that I don’t think anybody in the world would be at. We’re really at a very low level.” Blue states was a reference to US states governed by the Democrats.

September 14: Not concerned about contagion at indoor rally In Nevada

In an interview with the Las Vegas Review-Journal newspaper, Trump said he was not afraid of getting the coronavirus from speaking at an indoor rally.

“I’m on a stage and it’s very far away. And so I’m not at all concerned.”

“I’m more concerned about how close you are, to be honest,” Trump said to the interviewer.

September 4: Disputes experts, says vaccine coming before election day

“We remain on track to deliver a vaccine before the end of the year and maybe even before November 1st,” Trump said at a White House briefing.

“We think we can probably have it sometime during the month of October.”

August 3: ‘It is what it is’, Trump tells Axios in interview on HBO

“They are dying. That’s true. And you – it is what it is,” Trump told an Axios news outlet reporter who quoted the death toll from the virus in the US.

“But that doesn’t mean we aren’t doing everything we can. It’s under control as much as you can control it.”

July 19: US has lowest ‘mortality rate’ in the world

“When you talk about mortality rates, I think it’s the opposite. I think we have one of the lowest mortality rates in the world,” Trump said, arguing with broadcaster Fox News’ Sunday host Chris Wallace.

“I heard we have one of the lowest, maybe the lowest mortality rate anywhere in the world.”

July 7:  US is ‘in a good place’ and will be in ‘very good shape’

“I think we are in a good place,” Trump told a TV interviewer, after breaking with Dr Anthony Fauci who had warned on July 6 the US was still in a “serious situation”.

“I disagree with him,” Trump said. “I think we’re going to be in very good shape.”

June 17: Trump says the virus is going to ‘fade away’

“We’re very close to a vaccine and we’re very close to therapeutics, really good therapeutics,” Trump said in a television interview with Fox News.

“But even without that, I don’t even like to talk about that, because it’s fading away, it’s going to fade away, but having a vaccine would be really nice and that’s going to happen.”

June 15: Trump says without testing, case numbers would decline

“If you don’t test, you don’t have any cases,” Trump said at a White House round-table discussion.

“If we stopped testing right now, we’d have very few cases, if any.”

May 8:  ‘Not worried’ about  virus at the White House,  it will ‘go away’

“No, I’m not worried. But, you know, look, I get things done. I don’t worry about things. I do what I have to do. We’ve taken very strong precautions at the White House. But again, we’re dealing with a invisible situation. Nobody knows,” Trump said.

“Well, I feel about vaccines like I feel about tests. This is going to go away without a vaccine. It’s going to go away, and it’s – we’re not going to see it again, hopefully, after a period of time.”

April 29: Trump says in Oval Office meeting ‘This is going away’

“It’s going to go away. This is going to go away,” Trump said in an Oval Office meeting with Dr Fauci, Dr Deborah Birx, and Louisiana Governor John Bel Edwards.

Trump told reporters the White House’s social-distancing guidelines for the US would be “fading out”.

April 23: Trump suggests ‘injection’ of disinfectant could kill virus

“I see the disinfectant that knocks it out in a minute, one minute,” Trump said in a White House press briefing.

“And is there a way we can do something like that by injection inside, or almost a cleaning? Because you see it gets inside the lungs and it does a tremendous number on the lungs, so it would be interesting to check that,” he speculated.

April 6: Trump sees ‘light at the end of the tunnel’

“There’s tremendous light at the end of the tunnel,” Trump said in a White House briefing.

“Stay inside and let’s win this and let’s get our country (back) as soon as we can. I think it’s going to be sooner than people think. Things are going really well,” Trump said.

April 3: CDC advises public wear face masks, Trump says he will not

“The CDC is advising the use of non-medical cloth face covering as an additional voluntary public health measure. So it’s voluntary. You don’t have to do it. They suggested for a period of time. But this is voluntary. I don’t think I’m going to be doing it,” Trump said at the White House.

“I just don’t want to be doing, I don’t know, somehow sitting in the Oval Office behind that beautiful resolute desk, the great resolute desk. I think wearing a face mask as I greet presidents, prime ministers, dictators, kings, queens. I don’t know, somehow I don’t see it for myself. I just, I just don’t.”

March 7 & 16: ‘Not concerned’ about virus, and it ‘washes through’

Asked at Mar-a-Lago at a working dinner on March 7 with Brazil President Bolsonaro whether he was concerned about the virus, Trump said: “No, I’m not concerned at all. No, I’m not. No, we’ve done a great job.”

Later on March 16 in White House press briefing, Trump said he expected the virus to go away: “It washes through. Other people don’t like that term. But where it washes through.”

February 26-27: Compares coronavirus to the flu, says ‘it will disappear’

“We’re very, very ready for this, for anything – whether it’s going to be a breakout of larger proportions or whether or not we’re – you know, we’re at that very low level, and we want to keep it that way,” Trump said at a White House press briefing on February 26.

“This is a flu. This is like a flu,” Trump said.

At a White House meeting the next day, Trump said: “It’s going to disappear. One day – it’s like a miracle – it will disappear.”

February 25: On state visit to India, Trump says virus ‘well under control’

“You may ask about the coronavirus, which is very well under control in our country,” Trump said. “We have very few people with it.”

February 10: Trump tells governors, rally virus will recede in April

“Now, the virus that we’re talking about having to do – you know, a lot of people think that goes away in April with the heat – as the heat comes in. Typically, that will go away in April. We’re in great shape, though,” Trump told governors at the White House.

Later at a campaign rally in New Hampshire, Trump said: “Looks like by April, you know, in theory, when it gets a little warmer, it miraculously goes away.”

February 2: Trump tells Fox News virus is shutdown

“We pretty much shut it down coming in from China,” President Trump told the Fox News presenter Sean Hannity.

“But we can’t have thousands of people coming in who may have this problem, the coronavirus. We’re going to see what happens, but we did shut it down, yes.”

January 24: Trump tweets confidence in China’s handling of the virus

January 22: Trump says the US and China have virus ‘under control’

“We have it totally under control,” Trump said in a CNBC television interview from the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.

“It’s one person coming in from China. We have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.”

#######################################################################

It stopped being hilarious a long time ago.

Oct 05, 2020, 01:21

So politicians  should socially distance or actually hide in their basement, while ordinary people like nurses, supermarket workers, taxi drivers and factory workers are expected to go out there and do their jobs.

All the experts, all the scientists have been wrong at some point. The virus has fooled everybody including Trump’s acclaimed advisor Fauci who told us we were safe in the US and also told us masks were counter productive.

Give me a president who is willing to get in the trenches with ordinary people vs a puppet who is  controlled by an uncertain scientific consensus.....any day.

Oct 05, 2020, 01:55

https://www.factcheck.org/person/anthony-fauci/

No Threat Debunked. 

In a Feb. 29 interview, Fauci said that “right now at this moment” the risk was “low” and there was “no need” for people “to change anything that you’re doing on a day-by-day basis.” But he added that “this could change,” that people needed to be wary of “community spread,” and that it could develop into a “major outbreak.”

FaceMasks Debunked

Quick Take

An outdated video clip of Dr. Anthony Fauci is circulating on social media — giving the false impression he is currently advising the public not to wear face masks. Fauci, like other health officials, recommends wearing a cloth face covering when distances of at least six feet can’t be maintained.

Full Story

On April 3, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reversed its earlier position on the use of face masks during the COVID-19 pandemic and announced that it was now recommending that people should wear face coverings in public, citing new studies on the transmission of the virus that causes COVID-19.

---     ---    ---    ---    ---    ---    ---    ---    ---    ---    ---    ---    ---    ---

Many governments around the world also did not advice masks right away, because the immediate supply would be needed by hospitals, or people in contact with the public the most.

If governments recommended masks right away, everyone would buy the limited stock. A scenario like the shops where everyone bought the tin cans. 

Oct 05, 2020, 03:03

So on February 29th the risk is low, but on March 29th there are 502 deaths in the USA in one day. And nobody contracted the disease in the immediate aftermath of Fauci’s ‘all clear’? Spare me!

As for masks, what  utter balls......so masks save lives, but Fauci and his CDC cronies tell us not wear one because it makes you less safe.......but they are secretly protecting the mask supply?

So an outright lie is okay ....even if people could have died because of it? The right stance was to tell the public masks were life savers but the N95 masks had to be initially kept for healthcare workers. Manufacturers and distributors would have largely complied.

In the meantime the public could have been instructed on how to make their own masks...not N95 quality, but still considerable protection, especially for others. And those who had masks, we had a considerable supply for other reasons, could either have used them or donated them in the knowledge they might help those on the frontline.

The media’s complete pass to those perpetrating this disgusting lie is just another example of getting Trump being more important than people’s lives,

Oct 05, 2020, 04:35

Check minute 1:15 onwards

Oct 05, 2020, 04:51

Exactly what I said....and if this man needed additional evidence to know a home made mask was better than nothing he is stupid as well as dishonest. But of course he is not stupid. So who knows why they concocted this fiction but no amount of latter day unctuousness excuses his dishonesty.

Oct 05, 2020, 05:46

There is clearly a hidden agenda.

Oct 05, 2020, 07:59

...and now Trump is shown as being ahead of Biden on the polls. Hahaha! So much 4d chess.

Another attempted hit and run post by tannie Dennie. 

Unfortunately it comes off as that crazy person in the street that sprints up to you, slaps themself in the face and then runs away in shrill laughter.

<shrug>

Oct 05, 2020, 08:36

Tx for an excellent video Sharkbok.......clear as crystal that the humble and honorable Dr Fauci's advice was for everyone to wear a face mask when out in public. That said he wasn't the only to advise wearing a mask, there were several other notables like Dr Birx and the head of the CDC etc

Here just one of many times Trump flouted CV-19 protocols

Trump Tempted Fate Long Before Rose Garden Coronavirus Cluster

Ever since March, when much of the country went into lockdown to contain the coronavirus, Donald Trump has tempted fate -- ignoring his own administration’s advice on avoiding the virus, yet managing to avoid it all the same.

There was a June rally inside a Tulsa arena, and a convention speech to 2,500 people on the South Lawn of the White House in August. Then came de facto political rallies, which gave way to full outdoor rallies, which gave way to indoor ones. All gathered Trump supporters, largely maskless, tightly packed together, and yet the president -- a habitual germophobe even before the pandemic -- always emerged unscathed.

But they all paled next to last weekend’s celebratory introduction of Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett, where roughly 150 guests sat shoulder-to-shoulder in the White House Rose Garden. Senators and other Republican luminaries worked the crowd, shaking hands, hugging and air-kissing, leaning in for conversation. There were indoor gatherings, too. And barely a mask in sight.

The triumphant event has turned into a public health nightmare. At least eight people who attended have since tested positive, including Trump himself, his wife, two Republican senators, former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie and the president of Notre Dame University, though it isn’t known where they contracted the virus.

In the aftermath, the White House said it is performing contact tracing, but several attendees told Bloomberg News that they haven’t been contacted. Some guests are quarantining while others are not, in apparent contradiction of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines.

“If you had to invent a way to transmit this virus, that’s the environment you would invent,” said Michael Osterholm, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota. “The only higher risk environment I can think of is the air in an ICU that is caring for lots of Covid patients.”

The response mirrors Trump’s inconsistent approach to the pandemic: only selectively, and rarely, following the advice of his own health professionals. Trump, in a statement from Walter Reed hospital on Saturday, chalked up his diagnosis to fate and his desire to be seen leading the country.

“I had no choice because I just didn’t want to stay in the White House,” he said. “I had to be out front, and this is America, this is the United States.”

Trump has made downplaying the risk of the virus and getting the country back to work a centerpiece of his re-election campaign. Now voters will judge how that approach has paid off for both the country and Trump personally, just a month before Election Day.

“We have a situation now where multiple people in the White House have Covid, as precautions were not being taken,” said Dr. Leana Wen, an emergency physician and public health professor at George Washington University who is a former health commissioner of Baltimore.

Trump has often cited ubiquitous coronavirus testing within the White House as an excuse to not wear a mask. But testing is about detection, not prevention, Wen said.

The Grunt Work Begins. How ‘Contact Tracing’ Works: QuickTake

It’s not known how, when or from whom Trump contracted the coronavirus. He conducted nearly a full week of public events and fundraisers after Saturday’s Rose Garden ceremony, including one on Thursday at his golf course in New Jersey after learning a close aide, Hope Hicks, had contracted the virus.

He was flown by helicopter to Walter Reed National Military Medical Center on Friday after testing positive for the virus and exhibiting symptoms. His staff say he’ll spend at least three days there.

The Barrett introduction has drawn criticism for what appears to be a flouting of CDC protocols. Images of the event show a relaxed crowd mingling freely -- some with masks, but many without.

There was a giddy feel to the occasion, as guests gave fist bumps, posed for group pictures and shared hugs before and after Trump’s announcement. During his remarks, guests sat close together.

“I was not happy there were a lot of people not wearing masks,” despite signs asking attendees to do so, said John Malcolm, a legal scholar with the Heritage Foundation who attended the event.

Malcolm, who serves as director of the Meese Center for Legal & Judicial Studies, said he took a Covid test on Tuesday, which was negative. Malcolm said he has yet to hear from any White House officials following up on the spread of the virus at the event -- though he added he didn’t think that was necessary.

“At this point anybody who attended the event is certainly on notice they ought to consider getting tested,” Malcolm said in a phone interview.

Temperature Checks

White House guests were subject to temperature checks on their way in -- though the screening is not foolproof, since some infected individuals may not have symptoms and others do not develop fever. And most attendees only participated in the outdoors event, where the risk of spread through aerosolized droplets is believed to be reduced.

No one was “being cavalier about Covid,” said Cleta Mitchell, a political law attorney and partner in the Washington, D.C. office of Foley & Lardner.

“Most of the people in the audience, including me, were outdoors the entire time,” Mitchell said by email. “Temperatures were taken as we went through the entry points and masks were required. Once outside, masks were optional -- but we were outside.”

But the outdoor event was bookended by gatherings inside the White House, attended by at least some of the participants later found to be infected. Some who attended these indoor events were tested, but it’s not clear how many. Barrett and her family visited with Trump, the first lady and other White House staff in the Oval Office before the Rose Garden celebration.

And while the virus is generally spread less easily outside, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends people stay six feet apart from people they don’t live with and wear masks in those situations. The CDC also cautions that a mask is “not a substitute for social distancing.” Both recommendations were widely disregarded.

Oct 05, 2020, 09:09

How about the timeline of NY's democrat mayor, governor and health administrator's actions in the epicenter of the virus in the USA? Remember how everyone was encouraged to attend the Chinatown festivities by the health administrator when the virus was already active in the USA? I've posted it here before.

The democrats made exactly the same mistakes, got it wrong time after time, it just gets sweeped under the carpet. If it doesn't have anti-Trump value, it's not newsworthy.

Oct 05, 2020, 09:25

What's it, 4 out of 10 deaths in the US is resultant from deM mayors sending infected patients back to old age homes.

Yeah, but they get a pass.

Why?

Because of reasons! Orange Man bad and the demS love BLM/Marxism.

Whahaha!

No worries Pakie, Trump will win again in November and by and even bigger margin.

Gonna need a few dump trucks for all that salt.

Oct 05, 2020, 09:27

Oct 05, 2020, 09:31

Oct 05, 2020, 09:32

Oct 05, 2020, 09:54

Despite calling the virus a hoax, downplaying it at every opportunity, pretending it was going to magically go away, holding mass rallies, lying about it being under control, proposing outlandish and dangerous treatments, ridiculing people for wearing masks and now contracting the virus himself; the incompetent, bloated and self-serving pig gets off his hospital bed just to take a drive around the hospital in his Trumpmobile and wave to his brainwashed Trumpanzee fans . . . endangering the lives of his security staff just to get some self-promoting photos.

It's fair to say that this clown is too stupid to understand the dangers of this virus to himself or the people around him. Why on earth is this bungling moron making decisions that affect the entire country?

Oct 05, 2020, 12:25

Was reading over the weekend that JHB might be at the point of herd immunity.

The article is a few weeks old though...

https://www.iol.co.za/saturday-star/news/joburgers-could-have-reached-herd-immunity-without-even-knowing-it-experts--03f47b1f-2638-43df-8daf-47f023ab960c

Oct 05, 2020, 15:11

Despite being the first world leader to implement a travel ban the only effective measure to limit early spread.......overcoming Obama’s failure to restock protective equipment after the last epidemic by harnessing the power of American manufacturing.....and giving the US a trillion dollar recovery advantage over Europe....

.....the Left still goes small at every opportunity.

Pathetic really!

Oct 05, 2020, 15:13

And Plum even in Red states like Florida, 80% plus of cases are in Dem led cities. Anybody notice how Sweden is registering almost no cases day after day.....they may yet be proven right.

Oct 05, 2020, 15:15

Anybody who thinks Fauci is humble has zero insight into human nature.

You need to Log in to reply.