You need to LOG IN to reply.

Unique South African words only found here ...

Forum » Beenos Trumpet » Unique South African words only found here ...

Apr 23, 2019, 15:35

Detta Mine = determine

Da-mocra-tick = democratic 

Obli-gooz = obliques

Unimiss = unanimous

Ling-gery = lingerie

Totaal = total

Plum-ba = Plumber

Shikken = chicken

Vaaicle - vehicle

and the latest one that I've just heard ... 

Burrow-matter = Barometer.

LMAO!!!

More will follow ... feel free to add to the list ...

Apr 23, 2019, 15:44

"GARDEN REFUGE" ... that's an actual sign close to where I live. 

Apr 23, 2019, 15:44

not your best work CC.

Apr 23, 2019, 15:51

Doos...

Apr 23, 2019, 16:04

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaaaaa!!

Not one a lie ...

One would understand if these words were used by rural natives, but they're not. These are words that the natives in power use to speak to their masses ... supposedly educated ...

Apr 23, 2019, 16:17

LMFAO @ flash and shark

Apr 23, 2019, 16:18

McDonald's drive through must be slow today

Apr 23, 2019, 16:31

... if you have a few bags of lawn cuttings that are a little fearful ... I know a place ...

Apr 24, 2019, 09:26

Bat

Bird

Bed

All pronounced exactly the same.

Apr 24, 2019, 10:32

Hahahahaha CC never 'eard any of these pronunciations in SA dialect quite honestly, on second thoughts, maybe shicken for chicken because black people have a problem with ch...they would call Chippo...Shippo....LOL

Anyway, you tried to raise a laugh but yes, certainly not your best effort...:'(

Apr 24, 2019, 11:52

Afrikaans pronunciation can have it's moments of mirth though.

This one's for Mike and Draad as they will see the funny side and this actually happened.

When I was very young I used to cover the Northern Cape as a rep for a large company.

I was brought up in Western Cape (English community), Natal and a bit in Rhodesia so my knowledge and especially my speaking in Afrikaans was limited but being a junior in the company I was posted to cover Northern Cape on one of my calling routes, which was very unpopular.

In other words, I was a real "Rooinek" in the land of the die-hard Afrikaaner...nobody spoke English there.

I travelled as far afield from Cape Town to Upington...the hottest place on earth in summer and one of my calls was in Pofadder.

I only had one customer there. He was Mnr Dixon (pronounced Diksen) but my first call there I was unaware of this. In the platteland there are quite a few families from English, Irish, and Scottish decent that during the Boer War changed their allegiance due to what they perceived as an embarrassment of rights and justice. They saw Britains control and invasion in a moral sense as wrong. They were not turncoats but people with strong ethics and beliefs

Incidentally,he was a huge man and owned the only store, hotel and was also a wealthy Karakul sheep farmer and owned a big spread there...he had 7 beautiful daughters.

When I arrived there the first time I spotted his name Dixon on top of the door to his store and immediately thought with relief, at last an englishman...I can now at last converse my business in my own "taal". I had had a terrible time in my previous calls with scant success after driving through hundreds of miles, you see.

I approached this large figure with gay abandon : Good day Mr Dixon, I'm Michael from J&J.....

He stopped me in my tracks raising his massive hands : "Boetie, my naam's NIE Dixon nee...dis

DIKSEN, jou Bliksem...as jy in hierdie wereld is boet, moet jy Afrikaans praat!"

PS .However the story has a happy ending though, we eventually became friends and he supported me loyally and once invited me to stay on his farm and had a good braai there and I quite fancied one of his daughters. I was quite surprised they all could speak english and the eldest was 18 at the time and had been to europe. He had an airplane as well. Sadly we lost touch when I left the company. I grew to love the dry country and Karoo with it's character.

Apr 27, 2019, 10:03

Haaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaaa!!

Nice one Plum ... so true.

How about ...

Cowntree = Country

So sorry to offend you, Sebastien ... not.

Sometimes I have to sit a few minutes at a meeting and try to figure what the quota has said.

The one guy had me in stitches when he said .. "when push comes to shovel" ... needless to say I had to excuse myself  for a few minutes.

Hilarious ...

Apr 27, 2019, 10:12

Seb' I've actually been at the hotel in Pofadder about 20 years ago....wonder if it was the same owner. 

Apr 27, 2019, 10:33

I don't know if Mnr Dixon was still around 20 years ago...I knew him in 1977/8. He had all daughters and they were all pretty...I guess he married them off...he had no son's so maybe one of his son's in law took over the farm. I guess his age was about 48-50 in 1977, which would make him about 92 now and he's probably passed on by now. He might well have sold his farm, and business. I googled Dixon in Pofadder but could not find any link, although there are some references to Dixon's in that area.

He was the salt of the earth type of Afrikaaner you get there...sadly dying out...the N Cape & Karoo still has many of them left, they were generally wealthy farmers and some of them immigrated to I guess, Oz, perhaps NZ and some to Georgia and even Southern Russia because they saw what was coming...but I've lost touch with these fine people.

Apr 27, 2019, 11:00

I am very pleased to have Afrikaans blood in me. It opened me up to all kinds of wonderful traditions ... not to mention their foods ... foods that I would never have gotten to know had it not been for my Afrikaans grandparents.

My oupa made an incredible boerewors ... and my ouma made her own kaaiengs (sp) aftr my oupa slaughtered a pig ... I can go on and on ... good days ... 

Sheeeat ... I'm getting old ...

Apr 27, 2019, 11:32

CC

I can remember one day when they were slaughtering a heifer, pig and sheep on the farm to cater for the quests coming from all over the area from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth for my grandfather's birthday - mostly family but also some politicians.

My grandmother was sitting making boerewors and my grandfather sent he some meat cuttings for the purpose.   She looked at it and said to the person who brought the meet that she won't use it because it was not good enough asking for better cuttings.   Only the best meat could be sued for boerewors.

My grandparents was fully bilingual -  but banned people from speaking English in their presence,   They lived through the Anglo-Boer War and to put it mildly did not like what happened.    

I am old already and can assure you that old age is a disease.   

Apr 27, 2019, 11:42

I get the feeling that the Afrikaner is getting tired of being pushed around and marginalized....DSTV are going to get some flack for their music awards BS....Easter Worshippers...what horse manure next?

Apr 27, 2019, 12:00

Mike ... my father deserted my mother when I was very young ... and we ended up living with my oupa Henk on his farm.

Needless to say, I grew up speaking Afrikaans ... well for the first first 5 years of my life anyway ... and then my father returned, forcing me into an English primary school.

English was banned from my grandfathers house ... for the same reason.

There was no love lost between my oupa and my father.

Had he not returned I would have grown up an Afrikaaner with a Danish name ... probably cheering for the Bulls. I'd probably have a hangbal on my towbar as we speak.

My oupa mixed cuts of pork with beef, a little fat and his special combo of spices. I am yet to find a boerwors that can come even close.

I was born 50 years to late, Mike.

Those were magical days.

Oh and ... you may be old, Mike ... but you are of sound mind and pretty sharp. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Apr 27, 2019, 14:47

They can make the best by far boerewors in the Karoo...when I used to travel past Laingsburg I often bought their boerewors and lamb...the Laingsburg butchery made the tastiest I ever tasted...it was famous in those days...the owner butcher told me he mixed fat,pork, beef (sometimes Mutton) and game and used natural herbs (and bossies) that grew there as well as the normal spices.

He had a recipe that he jealously guarded...the exact proportions remained his secret.

I've tasted many delicious boerewors's but none could come close to his.

Apr 27, 2019, 20:11

Sounds amazing ... love to give it a tester over some hot coals and a few icy brews ... You and Draad are welcome to join me ... you too Denny ... 

Introduce you guys to some fine tunes ...

Apr 27, 2019, 20:22

Sounds like a lot of fun . . . you Easter Worshippers all tasting each other's wors while you listen to Pikkie Prinsloo en sy Gospel Orkes.

I'd suggest you send us photos but on second thoughts . . . no thanks!

Apr 27, 2019, 20:49

Hi Rudeneck. Congrats on the Sharks' win.

May 15, 2019, 14:09

Dippaning = deepening

May 15, 2019, 14:19

One of my favourites was when the TV had a captioned "Kyk Weer" for a sports replay. How unique and funny. 

You need to Log in to reply.