@Mike and Dave

Forum » Cricket » @Mike and Dave

Jan 07, 2021, 05:30

Adam Gilchrist

"I think that stroke there shows you what all the talent scouts throughout NSW and the junior development officers have seen in Jack Edwards," Gilchrist said on Fox Cricket.

"Really beautiful stroke. Stands tall, technically correct, left elbow up high and hits the ball from up to down so he's not coming up underneath the ball."

Edwards is a 20-year-old right-handed batsman whose technique is very sound and who can graft an innings or destroy an attack.

He became the youngest player in history to score a century in Australia's top one-day domestic competition, then known as the JLT Cup, when he struck 116 runs off 112 balls in October 2018.

He made his Sheffield Shield debut later in the month and enjoyed one of the brightest moments of his young career a month later, becoming the fourth-youngest player in the competition's history to score a century when he crafted 101 runs off 149 balls.

Edwards only averages 26.63 from 13 first-class matches, but it's believed he's still high on the radar of Australia's selectors.

Aussie prodigy stuns legend in BBL showing

Jan 07, 2021, 06:04

Denny

Thanks for the info.

That is why Australian cricket  is in the top category of  world cricket and why SA is going down rapidly in the ratings.    In SA anybody younger than  30 is rarely on the radar for selection.   

That is why Dawid Malan is playing for England, why Labuschagne choose rather to play for Australia and many other younger players see no future or them in SA cricket and why the4y rather leave and play for other countries,  

Aside from that there is the quota system and the lack of professional coaching  that is destroying SA cricket and cricket in SA will go the Zimbabwe  way and SA will become the joke team in world cricket,

SA Rugby was going the same way until Erasmus took over and through shock treatment recovered from a mortal disease,    There must be a similar recovery in  SA Cricket if the game is to survive - but there is no Erasmus available in SA cricket.    If there is ever to be an improvement the first thing to he done is to get rid  of the selection committee and let the Director if Cricket (Smith) and Head Coach (Boucher) do the selections.

Another requirement  is to clean up CSA maladministration and get the sponsors  back on track.   There is too much to be done to expect any brighter future for SA Cricket.                       

Jan 07, 2021, 11:06

Mike.

van Tonder Mulder Sipamla Ngidi Rabada De kock

All youngsters that are / were invested in.

There are more to come.

You need to remember that the nucleus of our side for the past 15 years were all seasoned and proven. And we were winning.

Like Aus went through, we’re now going through a change in guard.

We can’t have 11 players under 27 in the side.

Jan 07, 2021, 11:39

"And we were winning."

What's happened since?

Jan 07, 2021, 12:02

Denny

Simple answers -

*   Entitlement of elderly players who put their personal interest ahead of team interest - despite a serious decline in performances;

*   A Selection Committee that did not do their work properly and allowed the elderly to stay beyond their sell-bye date.

*   Only minimal team renewal over the last decade.

*    Atrocious coaching

*    The quota system

Jan 07, 2021, 13:45

Will keep an eye out

I no longer get excited watching SA cricket for the simple reason I know all our old bats are boring to watch. It’s the same old shit - they flatter to deceive

I enjoy watching Markram and de Kock batting, Markram because he is classy and fighting for his spot and de Kock because he is pure class and an entertainer

I wanted to give Bavuma a chance but aged 30 and lacking consistency I’d rather see a youngster in his place.

The problem with all our promising young bats is that none are black which is a huge issue that realistically after all this time should not be an issue.

I can’t be bothered watching Elgar, Rassie and Faf batting - Bavuma to a lesser extent.

I enjoy watching our side bowl as it’s a young exciting attack full of potential

We should have a sweep out I’d go with something along the lines of:

Markram (c) Janneman Malan Hamza v Tonder de Kock Verreynne Mulder Maharaj Rabada Nortje Ngidi

With the likes of Sipamla, Josh Richards, Roelofsen, Rickelton, Ackerman, de Swardt, Andile and Pretorious (the quick bowler) and Coetzee pushing for a spot.

There are not enough black players in my side so it might have to be Sipamla for Nortje and Andile for Mulder

You need to Log in to reply.