2022 UK Tour.

Forum » Cricket » 2022 UK Tour.

Aug 11, 2022, 16:19

Well the Proteas bowling squad have not performed thus far in this game.

Sure hope that this is not what we can expect from the TEST team.

Some of these bowlers are running up tons in their bowling figures, is it poor bowling or just great batting.

Appears to be both.

Aug 11, 2022, 19:39

Oh s...

Still another day to go and 170 odd runs behind with 7 wickets standing.

Not the start that the Proteas would have wanted at the beginning of the tour.

But fortunately we have batters all the way down to #11.

Sorry but could not resist the dig.

Rain please.

Aug 13, 2022, 03:01

The only true test is being out in the middle, that's what it comes down to regardless of all the prep leading up to that moment, some of these guys have been idle of match practice for several months.

Aug 16, 2022, 16:43

It appears that comments made by the SA captain are ruffling a few feathers in England cricket circles.

Trust that we can deliver once the first ball is bowled.

Aug 17, 2022, 14:30

First Test: Eng 100/5 - Lunch Day 1:D

Aug 17, 2022, 15:05

Yep, quite the turnaround... 

Aug 17, 2022, 15:36

116/6...raining now

Aug 18, 2022, 03:42

Some hostile bowling from Rabada and Nortje in particular.

Aug 18, 2022, 08:37

We won the toss and sent them in to bat...I thought you're always supposed to bat first?:angel:

Aug 18, 2022, 09:41

Gooooooooo England!!!

Aug 18, 2022, 10:44

Never England...never ever, no matter how bad things become, never England!

Aug 18, 2022, 11:35

Aug 18, 2022, 12:55

Tail wagging a bit here.

160-200 is likely the 1st innings total.

...and why do I have a feeling that it's gonna be competitive!?

Aug 18, 2022, 13:16

Weather is not ideal...tomorrow would be the best day for batting...

Aug 18, 2022, 13:53

Solid so far.

A couple of weak LBW shouts and Proteas leaving nicely. 

Elgar given out...review saves him. He didn't touch it.

Aug 18, 2022, 14:37

Yep, SA looking quite confident...

However, I do believe it will turn out to be a competitive total, barring a super innings from someone, because that ball is still moving so much

Aug 18, 2022, 15:40

Bad luck Elgar:(

Aug 18, 2022, 16:20

Shitty one indeed

Aug 18, 2022, 19:42

Damn, we had such a good start...

Aug 18, 2022, 19:46

For me, Stokes is the least likable England captain in many years...irritates the hell outa me...but he's a good player.

looks too much like Tywin Lannister...:D

Aug 18, 2022, 19:49

Feels odd, there's no Saffa in the Pom side.:D

Aug 18, 2022, 19:58

The giraffe just hit 2 consecutive sixes!!!

Aug 18, 2022, 19:59

7 overs of old ball left...

Aug 18, 2022, 20:34

We better bowl good tomorrow. 

Aug 19, 2022, 09:22

"Feels odd, there's no Saffa in the Pom side.:D"

I agree, very strange indeed

Aug 19, 2022, 09:24

Seems we found a better version of Morkel.

No slight on giraffe 1.0 but 2.0 seems to be the more intelligent and handy cricketer.

I think Jansen has impressed all of us since his debut, and rightly so.

He offers real variation with his height and being left handed. At the same time, he also swings the ball considerably and is considered an all rounder.

Morkel, for me anyway, through lack of accuracy or information, never seemed to settle properly into the uncomfortable length that would have best suited him and which would have seen him take many more wickets than he did. He was always a door or two too full.

Jansen seems to understand his game very well already. The swing that he extracted to remove Root in the 1st innings was phenomenal. Delivering it from that height and getting the ball to hoop like it did, absolutely menacing. Being that tall should mean you’re a straight up-and-down bowler…Root would probably have agreed prior to said dismissal.

Is it only me that sees a bit of Mostert in him? That lanky son of a mechanic who doesn’t know when to quit.

Very happy with the find and credit to the selectors on this one. As much as we deride them most of the time, one has to give credit where is due.

edit: i keep watching that delivery to Root. It’s just unplayable. The only way you get anything on that is if you see it late. For me, ball of the year so far.

Aug 19, 2022, 12:59

Nortje driving Stokes back down the ground.

Haha VERY frustrating for England as the teapots come out and the lead stretches beyond 150.

Aug 19, 2022, 13:11

A nice cushion of 161 in the end.

Aug 19, 2022, 14:22

Lol England!

Try winning at least a session. 

Geez!

Aug 19, 2022, 15:03

Jansen is eyeing root up...

Would be perfect if he gets him again with a similar ball.

He'll be trying to, that's for sure...

Aug 19, 2022, 15:30

Stokes looks a bit like an Oz….a certain rat like look. How did he miss the boat?

Aug 19, 2022, 15:49

Ja, he ain't photogenic at all!

Aug 19, 2022, 17:38

Well all I can say is:

"WHAT A WIN"

Sure outplayed England in this test.

Thanks to some fine bowling and a positive attitude.

Wonder if old Red Nose is applauding the Yarpies, guess not the Poms are all bad losers.

Well done Proteas.

One down and two to go fellows.

Aug 19, 2022, 18:47

Wow...good win, but this wasn't a classic contests like our previous tours to Pomland...

Aug 19, 2022, 20:05

Well done, you thrashed us. 

We need to remember how to play Test Cricket quickly or these Tests will be painful !! 

Aug 19, 2022, 20:49

Becs, for some odd reason, we always play well at Lords...your team will bounce back...we got lucky with the conditions...winning the toss was crucial...2 matches left...

Aug 19, 2022, 22:27

We have a lot of hard work to do, Draad. 

Let’s hope the next Test is a little more competitive:)

Aug 20, 2022, 16:36

Ja, I was looking forward to watching the whole of day four today...now I have to work in the garden.:(

Aug 20, 2022, 17:14

Ja same goes for me DbD.

Aug 24, 2022, 01:24

we got lucky with the conditions...winning the toss was crucial...2 matches left...

Summed up like a man who knows cricket. I agree and I daresay things would have been different had the toss gone the other way. The Proteas as the saying goes had the rub of the green allowing their attack to take full advantage of the conditions. Following that it became a 1/sided contest which to be fair doesn't tell us a great deal about the Proteas or England. 

And then this "little" concern....four batsmen(Petersen, Dassie, Markram and Verryenne) scored a combined total of 70 runs.

Tail-enders Maharaj and Nortje scored a combined total of 69 runs.

Aug 25, 2022, 08:35

Weather looks overcast again for atleast the first 2 days...anothe quick match...we struggle a bit in Manchester...but don't play there much.

Aug 25, 2022, 08:38

No Headingly this tour...

Aug 26, 2022, 18:55

Man did Elgar ever screw up on his call to bat.

Pathetic batting and only Nortje and Rabada made the early breaks to see the others getting clobbered all around the field.

The wheels sure have come off this test.

Out gunned by the Poms this test I'm afraid.

Any chance of rain?????????

That is all that can save the Proteas from and innings defeat in this test.

Aug 27, 2022, 10:49

Well, either that or a miracle.

Do you have any good contacts with upstairs?:angel:

Aug 27, 2022, 17:18

Some situations are not worth asking for guidance or help.

In this instance a bad toss to win and then bat can never be reversed.

It's called a BLUNDER.

Sorry.

Aug 27, 2022, 19:21

Markram with a grand total of 20 for this test. I don’t know about this guy. He’s had enough time now.

He doesn’t possess the mental fortitude to be the occasional hero we need. We needed a big score from someone today. Time is quickly approaching where the Proteas are going o have to move on from him.

Aug 27, 2022, 20:52

Well I enjoyed this more than the last Test !! But seriously, this does make the final Test pretty exciting. 

Let’s hope it’s a good one. 

Aug 28, 2022, 02:24

God we enjoy watching Ben Stokes play.

Aug 28, 2022, 02:29

We watch from far in NZ.

This world is a better place because he is in it.

Great player and I don't give a damn that he plays for England, just pleased that we are able to see his cricket skill and attitude. 

Aug 28, 2022, 03:47

I understand your frustration AJ and it's hard to contain one's hopes but I did warn in my above post after the 1st Test.

Summed up like a man who knows cricket. I agree and I daresay things would have been different had the toss gone the other way. The Proteas as the saying goes had the rub of the green allowing their attack to take full advantage of the conditions. Following that it became a 1/sided contest which to be fair doesn't tell us a great deal about the Proteas or England. 

And then this "little" concern....four batsmen(Petersen, Dassie, Markram and Verryenne) scored a combined total of 70 runs.

Tail-enders Maharaj and Nortje scored a combined total of 69 runs.

Obviously nothings changed from one test to another and I'd be very surprised if there's a positive change in the third.

The blame for the recent loss seems to be falling square on the shoulders of the delusional Elgar.......I'm not entirely convinced. Here's the thing, once they selected two spinners instead of one then the team had to bat not bowl if they won the toss. Question is who decided on playing two spinners.....was it Elgar? The selection of the two spinners pretty much decided how the Proteas were going to role.

The second mistake was to change a winning side......."if it ain't broke don't fix it"...went whoooosh over some peoples head in the Protea camp. Let me tell you that the young Marco Jansen is hugely underrated in all forms of the game, one can argue that had he played for India or Oz he'd be given the support to develop into an awesome Allrounder.

Thirdly, the Protea seam attack was found wanting, runs early in England's innings were like hen's teeth, Rabada going legside as often as he did and Nortje bowling ineffective bouncers which flew over the keeper's head for four took the pressure off their batsmen. Ngidi contained rather than took wickets and this is where Marco Jansen would have been very effective.

We  now know that England bowling as a unit have the better attack of the two teams and we also know that the Proteas have a lingering batting problem.

If you don't get your hopes up you can never be disappointed.

Aug 28, 2022, 20:35

Hoor, Hoor.

Also surprised that they made Jansen the 12th man and brought in a spinner.

I have always been unsure of Elgar as the captain as well.

He really screwed up on the call this time.

But in general the Proteas batters seemed to be intimidated by Anderson, Robinson and Broad and I for one think that Markram has once more failed and another batter should be brought in.

He has failed on many occasions with the bat proving to be a liability rather than a reliable run maker.

Time to give the young guns an opportunity to show their skills I think.

Aug 30, 2022, 03:19

I have always been unsure of Elgar as the captain as well.

As a batsman he is average and as for the captaincy you'd have to say it was handed to him because there was no-one else.

Still, I'm not convinced it was his decision to bat instead of bowl, that decision was determined the instant two spinners were selected.

Question is, who decided on playing two spinners?

Aug 30, 2022, 17:07

Hopefully the Proteas come up with a all round better performance in the third and final test.

Aug 30, 2022, 19:56

Ja, hope, that's all we have.

Sep 08, 2022, 08:31

Weather doesn't look too hot for cricket for the first 2 days of the final test.

Sep 08, 2022, 09:18

Massive blow for England with Bairstow out

Sep 08, 2022, 12:47

Four changes to the team, glad to see Rickleton finally get his chance also glad to see Marco Jansen back on deck. Mulder will need to step up with bat and ball.

Proteas to bat, England won the toss. This could be tricky, there'll be some juice in the pitch.

You need to Log in to reply.