2nd Test - India to bat first

Forum » Cricket » 2nd Test - India to bat first

Jan 03, 2022, 10:13

Olivier, Jansen and Verryne.

Seems Boucher opted for more bowling strength with Olivier being an outright bowler replacing the all-rounder Mulder.

Yeah, I’m confused too.

Perhaps the Flopteas will surprises us and someone might get 100 in this game. Perhaps Rassie.

Kholi is not playing in this test due to a back spasm. I doubt they need him though.

Jan 03, 2022, 10:19

First mistake.

Olivier is new back in the side and gets the new ball with Prince Kagiso.

Ngidi should be bowling second. He’s full of confidence and inside some of the Indian’s heads.

Jan 03, 2022, 10:50

India dealing in boundaries as the Flopteas seem to have forgotten where 6th stump is.

Jan 03, 2022, 11:23

I watched thje fiorst ten overs bowled and the average speed of the bowlers was  as follows:-

Medium Fast Bowlers

Rabada                     -      135 kph

Ngidi                         -      132 kph

Medium, Pace Bowler\

Olivier                       -      126 kph

Other than Nortje we have no fast bowler left and the only one that can really bowl at 140+ kph is Jacobs.    South Africa always was proud about is fast-bowling attack now is scraping the barrel.    Jacobs in fact did take a wicket.- the other three have gone through the motion.       

Rabada used to be a fast  bowler - that is gone - he is nothing of the sort anymore.     It is going to cost him in the IPL auction .  He was paid $2,1 million by Delhi - his budget price now with his present pace is down to $600 000 and he would be lucky to get even that.   The magic has gone out of his bowling.     

Jan 03, 2022, 11:33

One begins to wonder if Rabada is saving himself for IPL and other competitions.

That’s probably what I would do if I knew I couldn’t be dropped.

Jan 03, 2022, 11:41

Ngidi immediately slowing the scoring with Olivier/Jansen continuing a nice spell of nice pressure here…

Jan 03, 2022, 11:44

Rahul with 10 off 62 balls and SR16.12

Jan 03, 2022, 12:00

Olivier takes two in row!

Jan 03, 2022, 14:41

So far 5 wickets taken:-

Jansen               =       2

Olivier               =       2

Rabada              =       1

Olivier still bowl medium pacers with some bound to it.   His  fastest ball was 131 kph with the average at 128 kph.   -   however he is very accurate and difficult to play.   Jansen is in fast bowling range.   

What is happening with Olivier and Jansen has been reporterd back to the IPL clubs and they will consider high bids for both.   .

Jan 03, 2022, 16:07

201/9 Jansen has 4.

Jan 03, 2022, 16:11

202 all out.

Jan 03, 2022, 16:40

Markram out cheap...again!

Jan 03, 2022, 16:43

Ja, it’s perfect.

Markram has been a Protea for over five years now but we are happy to wait for another five years for him to get a few runs.

Is it not abundantly clear that this guy is not an opener?

Jan 03, 2022, 21:36

Jansen is about 8 ks quicker and he gets more bounce. He is fast/medium maybe just fast. He is awkward enough that he might have a bit of a test career. Olivier looks bog ordinary.

I’d say India were in the stronger position, but for the injury to Siraj which could decide the test.

Jan 04, 2022, 02:50

Moz good to see you have changed your mind on Jansen - he looks handy enough for a starter - will get better with a bit of experience

Amla said he loved the lads composure

Agreed Olivier was rubbish - what the fuck was he doing bowling an average speed of less than 130kph

He used to bowl in the high 140’s

KG again was bowling his medium pacers

Fucking Markram has failed yet again. It’s a sad state of affairs when our most gifted bat can’t find the middle of the bat these days

This side has to be one of the worst we have ever had

For me the biggest disappointment is the lack of fight and fire from KG

It kind of sums up the state of the side as a whole - KG going through the motions and de Kock throwing in the towel

Something is very wrong

Jan 04, 2022, 10:02

I say, if KG wants to bowl at 132km/h then fine.

…let him bowl first change and give the new nut to Ngidi.

Guy is literally in his prime but is somehow 10 clicks slower? It can’t be an injury because if so then he shouldn’t be playing.

One could argue that he may be trying to emulate Pollock or Philander.

The problem with that is still his total lack of celebration when he takes a wicket. It leans more towards him simply not caring too much.

Contrast that with Tahir. The guy that would do two laps of the field when he took the final tail-ender out. Steyn would look on the verge of bursting a vein when he took wickets.

Indeed, KG is annoying everyone at this stage.

Jan 04, 2022, 10:30

Did you forget that KG got in trouble for overdoing the celebrations a few seasons ago? The team needs a spark to put them on the right track again...but the political landscape makes it increasingly difficult for that to happen.

Jan 04, 2022, 10:33

Dave 

There is a pro0blem in the whole set-up - the players are totally demoralized - same as the Springboks became under Meyer and Coetzee.   They are going through the motions and you cans see it from, their attitude and approach to the game.   .   

Look for instance at Elgar - ii runs after facing 75 balls.   He is just standing there trying to block  balls and not very successful in that either.   That is less than 1 run  in every 6 balls faced by him.   That is not leadership at all - it is a losing strategy in a  winnable game.   

Jan 04, 2022, 12:12

101/3 with both Peterson (62) and Elgar (28) gone this morning. I like the look of Peteron, but he's yet to perform...pity he didn't get to convert his first 50.

Jan 04, 2022, 12:14

Rassie gone for one...102/4:(

Jan 04, 2022, 12:24

Petersen was fiddling around  - but did make runs  and his average would now reach about 25. in test match cricket.   He is not a test batsman's arse or perhaps he is.

Elgar was horribly ineffective - he made 28 runs casing 125 balls and could ahve been out a number of times - what he did is not batting required in cricket.

And Rassie had another shocker out for 1 run again - he really could have been out earlier for a duck -but survived by a miracle.   

The team is still at least 3 batsmen short.    When play restart  Bavuma on nil runs and Verreynne will be batting.   My bet is the team will NOT make 150 runs.         /   

Jan 04, 2022, 13:03

Rassie, Elgar and Markram failing yet again.

Are we even surprised?

Bavuma is due for a small score too.

Happy days

Jan 04, 2022, 13:37

Elgar and Rassie are there for their experience. They'll be gone as soon as the youngsters settle, but the young bats can't step up because the experienced guys don't provide a settled environment...then you go all in and pick your best young bats and let the chips fall...foolish to persist with experience not delivering.

Jan 04, 2022, 14:09

153/4...51 partnership...

Jan 04, 2022, 14:31

Verreynne and Bavuma gone after a 60 run partnership:( - 177/6....still 25 runs short...

Jan 04, 2022, 14:54

191/7

Jan 04, 2022, 15:09

This team is so bad. Our previous proteas sides would have put an extra 250 on top of India’s first innings total.

One simply cannot have a batting lineup fail so consistently yet refuse to make wholesale changes.

Again, the bowlers doing their part but our batters just nowhere to be found.

It’s blatantly unacceptable and starting to look equal parts stubbornness and incompetence.

And if you don’t want to play Markram at 4 or 5 but he keeps failing up the order then bloody well drop him from the side and put someone in that can bat up the order.

Jan 04, 2022, 15:17

Why is it always so satisfying watching a lanky fast bowler batting?

This Jansen chappy is winning me over.

Jan 04, 2022, 18:01

What about his identical twin brother Duan whom Donald believe is even better than Marco.   Want to find out where he is at present.    

Jan 04, 2022, 18:12

The bowlers skittle India for 200 in the first innings but our batters will make sure we lose this test.

India are 160 runs away from a winning total and their first series win in SA.

Hilarious stuff.

Jan 04, 2022, 19:04

Par for the course I guess.

If you select failures and expect success then this is your team.

Not impressed with the players except for Jansen.

Well never fear the selectors will no doubt find some more Brillant cricketers in their ANC pick list.

After all these years it is disgusting to think that color is still an issue in RSA.

Shame.

Jan 04, 2022, 21:09

Geez this side is super shit - how the fuck the bog ordinary Indian 4th seamer took 7 wickets is beyond me

There is just no hope for this side. Bavuma is the sole bat looking the part

Petersen made runs but was dropped on 12 by the keeper - sitter of a catch

The side is fast approaching beyond watching

It’s a given we will lose this test

Jan 05, 2022, 01:03

The Indian seamer, said to remind the commentators of Eddie Barlow,  was 5ks faster than Olivier.  

Jan 05, 2022, 02:03

That still makes him a medium pace owler.

One would have thought that Nortje will put some real pace into the ODI side - but he is absent from that series as well.   So back  another toothless attack in that case too.    Pity Jansen has no back-up fast bowler.   

Jan 05, 2022, 03:16

I reckon my arm ball is faster than the shit Olivier bowls

Jan 05, 2022, 11:21

I reckon we will lose this test and literally gift India their first ever series win on SA soil

What a fucking joke

Jan 05, 2022, 12:04

Yo! Happy New year, DA.

I take it you did see Loma wreck Richard Commey? Neo is back in full swing.

Looks like KG is taking a few wickets.

India Leading by 150 with 5 wickets in hand.

If they get another 70-80 runs it’s their series.

Jan 05, 2022, 12:14

Hey Plum

All the best to you my good man..... let's hope that 2022 is a awesome year for everyone and their families.

Loma crushed him, as most expected...... I really want to see the Loma vs Teo rematch, with a fully fit Loma.........should be very a different outcome.

With us batting last on this wicket, anything over 200 should be defendable by India.... I really hope I am wrong, but I just don't see SA chasing anything over 200.... this wicket is gradually getting worse, but if one or two batsman can really set themselves in, and mentally push through.... it can be done... I just doubt it

Jan 05, 2022, 12:53

Ja, our bowling is super shit, not to mention our batting too. Probably worst our batting has ever been. We did struggle when we came out of isolation for many years to built a decent batting line up. Darryl Cullinan, Rhodes, Macmillan, Andrew Hudson, Kepler Wessels and Dave Richardson, but none of them other than Cullinan were decent batsmen. Although, Kepler played for Australia which speaks volumes of his quality. 

But this lots takes the cake. Bavuma is poor, for him to look good is next level. What happened to our batsmen that were averaging 50. Right now none of this lot is even above 40. 

I haven't seen a single batsmen post a couple of hundreds or even gotten into double centuries. 

Faf was an okay player, not great but he could grind out a win. Now we have not batsmen that can wear the bowlers down. 

Everyone is more interested in  their IPL contracts and just want to get the test matches done. 

De Kock is a waste of talent and probably better that he is not in the squad. 

We need Kirsten back as a coach, serious shake up at cricket SA is required and enough of this political chair where you have to have 8 selectors for a team. 

Let the coach pick the team, end of

Jan 05, 2022, 13:44

Korn

Love it! Our debutant getting in the batter's faces. Lad is ticking boxes for me! He squared up to Bumrah...and is now glaring at him after every ball. Shades of Donald's post-ball look.

I disagree about the bowling being bad. It's been low energy mostly but has turned out match-winning numbers 4 out of 4 times thus far in the series.

DA - I doubt Teo was gonna give Loma a rematch. And with the division being stacked...an injury free Loma should see some other huge fights over the next 2-3 years. Just sucks that he has to move up to lightweight to get good fights.

Jan 05, 2022, 14:11

Ja, we always seem to have a decent bowling attack, we did have a dip in that department way back when we had Ntini and Nel, Ntini was class the rest wasn't. 

But I don't see a single batsmen that  are any better than the batch we had before

Jan 05, 2022, 15:04

SA are 34/0 after 7 overs..... 206 needed

I hope they prove me wrong

Jan 05, 2022, 15:16

Markram looking like he can bat for a change1

Jan 05, 2022, 15:25

...and then he gets out playing all around a straight one when he knows the bowler is targeting his pads. 

Got hit on the pads three times in a row with the 3rd appeal being successful. This guy is prone to mega-brain farts.

Jan 05, 2022, 15:26

SA needing 193 with 9 wickets in hand.

Jan 05, 2022, 16:02

169 needed with 9 wickets.....

Interesting indeed

Jan 05, 2022, 19:43

I expect them to choke tomorrow,  don't think they'll get the runs.  Poor  coaching and even poorer batsmen

Jan 06, 2022, 09:02

"I expect them to choke tomorrow"

I actually fully expect the same thing to happen..... but I would also be pleasantly surprised to be proven wrong on this one

Jan 06, 2022, 14:36

It's beginning to look like the rain will have the last say...probable draw?:(

Jan 06, 2022, 16:08

Game back on 

108 needed .... 8 wickets in hand..

Surely..... this should be an SA win

Jan 06, 2022, 16:50

We need to finish it today...tomorrow is a washout in Joburg.

Jan 06, 2022, 17:02

"We need to finish it today"

I agree, no option 

Rassie has just gone out...

65 runs needed, and 7 wickets left....... this should definitely be SA's game though.....

This would go down as the biggest choke by South Africa if we lose this game, and hand the first ever series win to India at the same time

Jan 06, 2022, 17:19

Bavuma just got dropped

50 needed..... this should be over soon

Jan 06, 2022, 17:53

10 needed!

Jan 06, 2022, 17:55

What a fantastic  innings by Elgar...leading from the front...I stand corrected,  there's still life in him yet.

Jan 06, 2022, 17:56

Jan 06, 2022, 17:59

Jan 06, 2022, 17:59

Jan 06, 2022, 18:01

Jan 06, 2022, 18:01

Jan 06, 2022, 18:02

Done!

Jan 06, 2022, 18:09

Well a win is a win.

Cannot believe that India was beaten by this squad.

Just like NZ being beaten by the Bangles.....unbelievable.

Markram  needs some time off big time.

The Kaptain did well with the bat and was the mainstay in both innings.

Jan 06, 2022, 18:11

Dean's average looks good for the last couple of years...we can do a lot worse, especially since we're not actually spoiled for openers.

Bavuma and Rassie also not too bad...we need a bit of mojo.

Jan 06, 2022, 23:04

A nice win in the end.

100% down to SA’s bowling.

Elgar came good but anyone that watched his innings would know how many times his outside edge was beaten.

By contrast, Markram looked good. Hardly put a foot wrong until his mental meltdown.

Both Verrynne and our new beanpole slotted in with no issue.

Jan 07, 2022, 08:28

"100% down to SA’s bowling"

My thoughts exactly, although I was quite impressed with some of the batting.....it finally looked like some of them actually wanted to protect their wicket...

Jan 07, 2022, 09:14

I think Bavuma is highly underrated, he deserves his place in the team. Composed, technically sound, has all the shots, good footwork with just one nagging flaw.....the ability to bat through to a ton.

Jan 07, 2022, 09:57

The win was at least some bright spark in three dark years,   That was not enough to lift the gloom cricket is in at present.   Th only real bright spark was Marco Jansen's bowling - the rest was pedestrian and at a  pace being bowled at medium as against fast pace.   

The batting problem has not been solved.   None of Elgar, Markram, Van der Dussen and Bavuma has batting averages in the 40"s and  that is too low for international batsmen.   

Jansen has done himself a massive financial favor.    He is bound to get a higher bid in the IPL  Auction this year.   In 2021 he got an offer on 20 Lakh - this year it is likely to be a higher offer than $600 000 thousand than Rabada is likely to get.    Incidentally Rabada used to be paid $2,1 million per season   to play for Delhi - he will not get a repeat offer of that kind at the auction.           

Jan 07, 2022, 12:04

You're not wrong, batting remains a problem with no light at the end of the tunnel. Agreed about Marco Jansen he is a breath of fresh air, a bit wooly with his line but who cares he's made a phenomenal debut, one simply can't ask for better. I haven't seen enough of his batting to make a call but who knows he might be the Allrounder we've been crying for since the retirement of Klusener.

Jan 07, 2022, 12:36

Denny

I want to know what happened to his identical twin brother - Donald coached both the brothers and  thought the best one of the two was a slightly better bowler.    Both are only 21 years old and has a  long future in cricket.   The brother's name is Duan.         

Jan 07, 2022, 12:36

Denny

I want to know what happened to his identical twin brother - Donald coached both the brothers and  thought the best one of the two  (Duan Jansen) was a slightly better bowler.    Both are only 21 years old and has a  long future in cricket.           

Jan 07, 2022, 12:46

His stats aren't great. 

Jan 07, 2022, 18:36

Need some more  coaching by Donald yet.   

You need to Log in to reply.