3rd Test

Forum » Cricket » 3rd Test

Jan 16, 2020, 11:57

England 57 for no wickets. 24 overs gone. Looking good for a big score. 

Jan 16, 2020, 11:59

Maharaj has spun a few. 

Jan 16, 2020, 13:09

74/1

Jan 16, 2020, 13:28

The run rate is very poor -  79 runs from 38 overs is just about 2,2 runs per over and represents a strike rate of 34,65.    

Jan 16, 2020, 14:50

Strike rate is getting worse - it is now 33.35 -  117/2  runs from 58 overs.    

Jan 16, 2020, 14:51

What the fuck is useless Paterson doing in the side and opening the bowling

What an insult to KG

Piss poor call by Faf and no doubt Boucher

Jan 16, 2020, 16:01

I  think  Faf is totally clueless.   He stands in the slip at the same spot when Rabada and Patersn bowls,   Because he did not take a step up with  the mush inferior=paced Pattersomn came on, the edge Stokes hit to slip fell short of Faf,  Bad news that one.  

Jan 16, 2020, 16:04

Paterson looks like he should be bowling in my local club side

Jan 16, 2020, 22:13

Are you sure your local club would take him - you better check, LMAO

Jan 17, 2020, 13:40

We are seeing our arses in this test and now we have lost KG for the final test

Jan 17, 2020, 16:29

Let's see how we go. Things though look pretty grim. 

Jan 17, 2020, 17:54

It is 60/2 and Malan fell off his wagon and so did Hamza - both failed on a dead pitch, 

Jan 17, 2020, 18:58

How many more chances should Hamza get?

He should go down the order

Jan 17, 2020, 19:23

That English run rate certainly doomed them.....hahahaha.

Jan 17, 2020, 21:48

Pope is such a good find for England

21 years of age and looks like a veteran

Boy we could do with a few Pope’s coming through

Jan 17, 2020, 22:47

Ollie Pope is real class. Yeah I wish we had a few of his calibre.

Impressive stats for one so young.

Personal information
Full nameOliver John Douglas Pope
Born2 January 1998 (age 22)
Chelsea, London, England
Height5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)
BattingRight-handed
RoleBatsman / Occasional wicket-keeper
International information
National side
Test debut (cap 687)9 August 2018 v India
Last Test17 January 2020 v South Africa
Domestic team information
YearsTeam
2016–presentSurrey (squad no. 32)
Career statistics
Competition Test FC LA T20
Matches 6 31 28 36
Runs scored 363 2,293 751 736
Batting average 51.85 58.79 37.55 28.30
100s/50s 1/2 8/8 0/5 0/0
Top score 135* 251 93* 48
Catches/stumpings 5/0 37/0 8/0 15/0
Source: ESPNcricinfo, 17 January 2020

Jan 17, 2020, 23:40

Have to agree on Paterson and Hamza, Dave, test cricket looks a bridge too far!

Jan 17, 2020, 23:56

Poor Hamza has been thrown in the deep end.

Tall ask finding your test feet batting at 3

My guess is Bavuma will now return after getting 160 odd in a provincial game recently

Jan 18, 2020, 10:34

Edgar and Du Plessis are both gone and the score is 71/4   The fact is that Nortje reads the bowling better in defending than the two mentioned idiots did.   Now the game is over and the test is lost  already,  

Get rid of all four top batsmen and  replace them asap,  Poor De Kock  is in the dwang again and he must be really demoralized by now,   

Bavuma may return and will fail again on test level.  

Smith and Boucher inherited shit and they would now be blamed for the disgrace.   

Jan 18, 2020, 11:37

Nortje has faced 76 balls - more than Elgar did - and he reads the spin balls better than Elgar did.  What does that tell people?  

Van der Dussen is out with the score on 109/5.   This is ridiculous - clean up the swamp please.

Jan 18, 2020, 11:54

ouMaaik, score updates , as well as your knowledgeable input,  is appreciated. .Thanks..

Jan 18, 2020, 12:14

Heaven may yet save the Proteas - it has been raining in Riversdale for two days and the fact is the rain driven by the North-Western is moving in the Port Elizabeth direction.     

Jan 18, 2020, 13:09

Yes heavy winds down here in the Cape so rain may help save Proteas. 

The Proteas side lacks class. Big rethink should happen after the serurs if things continue to go south as is looking to be the case. 

Jan 18, 2020, 16:59

They are back playing.  What a disgrace,   Nortje faced 132 balls - virtually two thirds of which from Bess - who took all five 5 wickets,   If a bowler can play him  can play him how the hell can a batsman not do so?   

Nortje is out after facing 135 balls - he was caught off the bowling by Stokes.

Jan 18, 2020, 18:21

So Wanker you want to replace the first  four batsmen. Okay with whom? 

Jan 18, 2020, 18:31

Easy as pie - idiot speaker.   

1   Janneman Malan

2     Breetzke

3    Van Tonder

4    Verreyne      

5    Ackerman

They cannot be worse than the players already in the team.

Jan 18, 2020, 18:50

You never played any cricket...did you Wanker? Put these chaps in a test match setting and they will melt away like Hamza.

In any case our biggest failing so far is the bowling.

Jan 18, 2020, 19:20

Well, our batting has been p!ss poor for a while now. Faf will probably retire with Vern after the fourth test vs Poms...Elgar owe us runs. Hamza should bat lower...we are just hopelessly out of sorts. They recovered some grit, but there's no quick fix for this rabble.  CSA left it too late.

Jan 18, 2020, 19:33

While the team struggled with Nortje, De Kock and Philander to get something out of the game, Du Plessis showed no interest in what is going on the field - he is sitting reading a  book. What a captain would not be that interested in  what is happening to his struggling team?     

Jan 18, 2020, 20:17

And they did not struggle in batting Idiot Speaker?   The wicket went flat on day 2 in PE and remained flat on day 3.   Five batsmen lost there wickets when a very average spinner bowled.  A   bowler held out against him for about 80 balls in total and facing  a total of 135 balls.   

Melt away like Elgar, Marais, Du Plessis Hamza and Van der Dussen did you mean?  

At least the players I mentioned has the potential to develop further in future,  The above five has none other than going further down than they already are.   By the way the only batsman who showed some real fighting spirit is De Kock - a player you despise and wanted to be replaced by Klaasen last year,        

That is what I call a shit disaster - and a thorough house cleaning is called for - so bring in th new guys.    .            

Jan 18, 2020, 20:42

A few weeks ago in jest, I suggested that Bavuma would be appointed Captain of the "Marigold's" once Faf is fired.

Sure seems like a possibility now.........

Right political affiliations.

Right color.

Right he is not a test player.

Fits right in with what is expected.

Nothing.

Jan 18, 2020, 21:33

De Ock fighting spirit?  No, mostly just lady luck, dropped 3 times by Stokes....one has to wonder whether Stokes has a side bet on Okkie making a 100. He should have been gone at 30. Besides Ock was the player who surrendered the second test, when he and Dussen were well set.

Jan 18, 2020, 22:23

What about the rest - Snow flake? 

Jan 18, 2020, 22:41

The Proteas are well documented chokers....but at least we were tough in our own backyard. Since the loss of Amla and Steyn the last vestiges of  that are gone. Ock is right at the point in his career where he should be setting an example. But as he has done through his whole career, he folded again in the second test.

I can't think of one test he has helped win  through mental toughness....he has scored runs, yes, but never when the chips were really down.

Sadly as I predicted the loss of the prior generation, although now inevitable, was going to be followed by something a whole lot worse.  Those clamoring for that change have been shown to be gormless.

Jan 19, 2020, 05:12

"Sadly as I predicted the loss of the prior generation, although now inevitable, was going to be followed by something a whole lot worse."

Actually, I predicted the decline of the Proteas as far back as the last WC. I also predicted that the decline would last for at least the next five years, perhaps even longer.

Jan 19, 2020, 08:50

Mozart never accepted that the decline was evident in performances by the players he wanted to stay way past their "sell by" date.   Once players have one good innings and mess up in 6 or 7 you have clear signs that things are going downhill fast,  

Lets look at the performances over the 5 innings thus far played in tests against England:- 

Hamza                                   -      76   runs  -  average   15,2
Du Plessis                             -       77   runs  -  average   15,4
Markram/Marais                   -     109   runs  -  average   21,8   *
Elgar                                      -     179  runs  -  average   35,8   #
Van der Dussen                     -     185  runs  -   average   37.0   
De Kock                                -     262  runs  -   average   52,4   +

Lets look at the above in more detail:- 

*    If the 109 runs made - Malan made 84 in one innings,   Of the other 4 innings played Malan made 23 runs and Markram made 22.  There must be serious question marks about Markram's performances after his failure in the prior Indian series,   In real fact both players are seriously questionable at this stage,   There was no stability at all in the case of that opener position,  
#    Again a case where 1 good score (88) in 5 is already in evidence,   The other four scores were pretty poor on average - another questionable player.  Not as bad as the other three - but not good enough
+   De Kock is not out in the present test - but 3 fifties out of 5 innings played makes him the only real deal in the batting department.   If he is able to hold out till tea time on the fourth day - there is a slim chance that the test could be drawn,  

Van der Dussen did quite well with 2 fifties out of 5 innings played - he is less of a problem than the 4 others.   

So where to now?   Like in the case of rugby under Meyer and Coetzee there was no real planning of a positive replacement programme for future players,  The England team has a number of under 23 players in their squad and they are making hay,   Amongst the SA batsman there are two - Markram and Hamza  and both failed,   England realized they have problems in the squad and they bring in youngsters - South Africa realized they have problems and they bring in 29 year olds and older.

Members on site talk about Hamza - but what about Du Plessis?   He was anytime as bad as Hamza was and was totally unreliable.   Is Du Plessis going to improve in future and the answer is an emphatic NO.  He prefers to read books while his batsmen are struggling.       

The idea must inevitably be to start looking for alternatives.  Even Elgar and Van der Dussen at their ages are not a sound basis to build on.  They may last for a year or two more and what then?

What worries me  more is what is already evident in the under 19 team of SA in the present Under 19 WC squad,   Why is the squad the weakest ever fielded by SA?  I think the problem is the fact that in provincial school competitions in SA no school provincial teams may have more than 4 White players out of the 12 squad members,  White kids have lost interest in playing cricket as a sport and the development of the game has gone out of the window.   Denny talk about a period of five years before a recovery is possible - I think the days of SA teams being competitive in World Cricket is gone and will not recover ever.  The sponsors are walking away from cricket and that is the surest sign of the demise of professional cricket in SA,                                               

Jan 19, 2020, 10:34

South Africa lost 4 wickets with the addition of 1 run this morning,   It was a continuation fo the disaster already in evidence.    

Jan 19, 2020, 10:49

"What worries me  more is what is already evident in the under 19 team of SA in the present Under 19 WC squad,   Why is the squad the weakest ever fielded by SA?  I think the problem is the fact that in provincial school competitions in SA no school provincial teams may have more than 4 White players out of the 12 squad members,  White kids have lost interest in playing cricket as a sport and the development of the game has gone out of the window.   Denny talk about a period of five years before a recovery is possible - I think the days of SA teams being competitive in World Cricket is gone and will not recover ever"

You've brought something to my attention that I didn't think of......if what you say is a fact then my belief of a 5-10 year recovery period goes out the window and that the decline will be permanent. They'll lose the current series which makes it the fourth in a row with not a win on the horizon. My only hope is that Bouch and Smithie won't be held responsible for the decline in our cricket and that they are not unfairly criticised because the entire blame lies with the ANC and its ubiquitous racist policies. CSA is just a puppet organization which rubber stamps that policy. The obsession to pick on race and that being black is a tick box and the only requirement is insane.

God help us as no one else can.

Jan 19, 2020, 14:08

There has been no cricket played since about 10:45 this morning and it is still raining.  The chances of rain today was given as 55% and there may be some cricket played.  The SA score 14/0.  The chances of it raining tomorrow is given as 67%.

It is still raining in Riversdale - the third day in a row - with a western wind driving the rainy weather towards Port Elizabeth,   It will be a travesty if the rain caused the test to be a draw,  

Jan 19, 2020, 14:50

The game has started again and the score is 22/2  with Elgar gone for 15 and Hamza for 2.   

Du Plessis book reading has been interrupted and he is batting,  He egged he ball badly and it went for a four.    

Jan 19, 2020, 15:34

A friend if mine in Joburg spoke at length about the discrimination against white kids when it came to selections. It's a fact as is all the other racist ANC discrimination. 

Yes realistically can we be amongst the best if we refuse to field our best? Do we even deserve to be there if that is our attitude. 

Oddly enough a few big defeats maybe what is needed to get people really thinking. 

Jan 19, 2020, 15:43

How can Malan be given out there was a sick? 

Jan 19, 2020, 17:14

Now the game has been lost already.  Malam out for 12, Van der Dussen 10 and De Kock for 3,  None of the batsmen showed any interest in scoring runs and was out because of it,   Dy Plessis has 26 from 106 balls.

The instruction to De Kock was to block out the ball and he is not capable of playing that type of game.   

Anyway - it is a shocking performance by the batsmen - get rid of the top 5 batsmen and start afresh.   They cannot be worse than the present lot, 

Jan 19, 2020, 17:57

We hardly ever agree on anything but this time I have to acknowledge that Denny is correct.

It is a pity that sport in RSA has become such a political football for the government resulting in the determent of sport in the country. 

Political interference has never gelled with anything to my knowledge other than crime and corruption. 

Shame.

Jan 19, 2020, 18:06

The side lacks class. The commentators lack class. The band lacks class. 

Jan 19, 2020, 18:12

Is there a chance that rain will not allow play on the final dayÉ

Jan 19, 2020, 20:00

Ja Denny...Boucher and Smith will probably be scapegoats...

I've lost interest in sa cricket over the years...the ANC are terrible people, corrupt to the core with evil and hidden agendas..it's apartheid in reverse...we whites, coloureds and asians are all being slowly marginalised...they do it slowly, a little here and a little there but nevertheless it's increasing...some Saffas are either too naive or too blind to see it...they do it subtly at first with a little bit of window dressing but it is obvious to those who have the discernment to see.

It is heart breaking but what's worst we cannot fight back because we are a minority caught in a trap.

Jan 20, 2020, 00:19

I totally agree, the ANC window dresses everything to make it look moral and ethical but underneath all that is a stinking rotten agenda.

Too funny, I'm calling for divine intervention, AJ' s calling for rain :D 

In the interim will someone puleeezz get rid of that band!

Jan 20, 2020, 07:37

....and the band played on.

Jan 20, 2020, 12:08

As the Titanic sank!

Maharaj and Paterson showed up the top order big time. Are probably 5 players who could be retained. 

Remember how I got roasted years ago when I said ANC was racist.  There were howls when Mandela was criticised. The stardust has been washed off the eyes of some by the many tears. 

Jan 20, 2020, 12:58

Different band, different scene.....same end result.

Jan 20, 2020, 14:08

So the test was lost by an innings and 53 runs.  Hoorah for the demise of the wonderful batsmen in the SA team, but especially the main one blamed by Mozart, namely De Kock.  They were all shit.

Obviously the bowlers all bar Philander was to blame for the loss and not the batsmen - that according to Mozart is how we should read the situation.            

Jan 20, 2020, 14:08

Si the test was lost by an innings and 53 runs.  Hoorah for the demise of the wonderful batsmen in the SA team, but especially the main one blamed by Mozart, namely De Kock.  They were all shit.

Obviously the bowlers all bar Philander was to blame for the loss and not the batsmen - that according to Mozart is how we should read the situation.            

Jan 20, 2020, 17:30

Poor Okkie....he was 'incapable' of following the outrageous instructions he was given. What were these unreasonable instructions? Well we don't know for sure, but they appeared to be to avoid risk and defend your wicket in the hopes that rain would intervene. Surely not an unreasonable view when we were over 200 and an innings behind with 4 wickets down.

But according to Wanker,  Okkie is incapable of doing that....disappointing.

Jan 20, 2020, 18:25

I’d dump all the bats and the likes of Pretorious, Paterson, Second and Hendricks

Start from scratch with the youngsters 

I’d keep Hamza and Markram but drop Hamza down the order but I guess that just exposes other youngster to the top order

The only worthy players are de Kock, Rabada, Ngidi, Nortje and Maharaj 

I’d build my batting side around Markram at 4 and de Kock at 6, with Andile the all rounder at 7

There seem to be a good few young bats about like Janneman Malan, Richards, Breeztske, Bird, van Tonder, Verreyenne, Hamza, Ackerman etc. Chip mentioned a few more

Add bowlers Sipamla and Coetzee to the squad along with all rounder Mulder and start from scratch

Jan 20, 2020, 18:55

Dave

Markram is not yet available for selection.  I would agree with you about dumping the lot and starting a rebuilding program but it will not happen<  Boucher was nearly in tears when dealing with the press,   Smith I bet you will go the India for the IPL and will then come back and decline   the Director of Cricket job,   

The fact is that the environment in rugby was the same.  SARU realized that there was a problem and went to Ireland to ask him to return to SA.   He played hard0ball with them and made demands that SARU would have to accept before he signed an agreement on the issue with them.  These conditions in his contract was clear - he would decide on the coaching staff and he will do the player selection as well  as the game plan.   SARU accepted the conditions and it is written into his contract,

If Smith and Boucher want to achieve anything they should lay down the same conditions and force SAC to accept them - otherwise they are going to destroy their reputations,   They should get a copy of the Erasmus contract, take out his name and replace all changes to fit the cricket environment and take it to CSA and tell them they want the same basic conditions as to coach appointments, player selection and strategy that Erasmus got.   If SAC refuse they should  tell them SAC should stick their appointment where monkeys stick their nuts.

Otherwise  they will get nowhere in their jobs and will ultimately be disgraced,                                    

Jan 20, 2020, 19:03

If Smith and Boucher can’t get their way then no one will 

Jan 20, 2020, 19:42

That is why I suggest they must get clear contractual obligations that lay down  their powers and responsibilities so that they have grounds to take the bastards to court if they do not comply and  undermine them.  SAC has developed into a snake pit with the snakes running wild and the snakes will always undermine people like Smith and Boucher.   

You can be bloody sure that the snakes are already attacking them blaming them for the loss of the two tests,         

Jan 20, 2020, 20:09

I'm sorry, I was a big Faf fan, but he lost his mojo a few years ago. I don't want to hang this on his neck, but he is part of the problem. Drastic measures are needed and he is unfortunately not part of the way forward...i don't see him surviving past this series...IF even into the next match. Hard choices ahead.

Jan 20, 2020, 22:53

Yes at 35 and on current form Faf needs to go

Jan 21, 2020, 08:33

Alright then, so Faf goes(mind you this is his last home series).....

Captain, anyone?

Jan 21, 2020, 08:55

Sadly there are no apparent candidates...dire situation indeed.

Jan 21, 2020, 09:08

Exactly.

You need to Log in to reply.