Aid Him Markram

Forum » Cricket » Aid Him Markram

Oct 15, 2019, 02:01

His test scores against India......5, 39, 0, 0. Boy we sure stepped up when the great Amla retired.

Oct 15, 2019, 08:16

And he's been at it for I think 4 years now.

Even our late bloomers began showing signs of reward for the time investment by now.

Is he Jaques Rudolf or Boeta Dippenaar mark2?

Seems like it. 

Problem is, he isn't even comfortable on SA pitches anymore. That was his saving grace for me early on. But it vanished too.

One wonders if Rossouw and Abbott would strengthen this side. Yes. 100% yes. 

Oct 15, 2019, 20:58

It’s a bit of a head scratch when it comes to Markram, good looking bat with what appeared to be a good BMT

Hell knows what has happened to him

My guess is that he will come right - looks too gifted not to

We are missing Rillee Rossouw big time

Oct 15, 2019, 22:56

Agree Rossouw would be a step up.

Oct 16, 2019, 08:26

Might give Stiaan van Zyl another look too. How is he doing in England ATM Dave?

Oct 16, 2019, 11:56

If you are going to lose Smith, Kallis, AB and Amla in the space of a few years...the team will take ages to recover. 

The above 4 are all in the top ten ever SA players. Two of those are among the best ever to have played the game. And then we haven't mentioned Steyn or Morkel.

Australia had a very similar problem. 

Kallis, AB and Amla are once in a lifetime players. So is Steyn. 

Smith's persona and captaincy level are only matched by the great captains historically. There isn't presently an equal in the world game. 

The only option really is to start almost entirely fresh and invest in young players. Stop gaps like JP and Faf will only take you so far. 

This is why it's such a pity that Quintie isn't really captaincy material. He was perfectly positioned to usher in a new generation. Markram is the best bet because the Elgar boat has sailed. 

On a positive note, the age of the team is where it needs to be. The guys just need to pull through and become real world-class players playing as a solid unit.

I don't want to talk too badly about CSA because captaincy, quota and player exodus aside, they look like they're planning ahead. How much they can do in terms of contracts etc, i don't know. Ideally, the government would leave them alone, with the only mandate being "Give us the best team and the best results.'

Yeah...never gonna happen.

Oct 16, 2019, 17:56

The campaign to get rid of Amla, leaves us predictably nowhere. Sure his powers were declining, but you have to believe Amla striding out there would boost the Proteas. And.......this is the point so often missed.....make it more likely that the newbies find their feet.

A measured transition enhances generational turnover. The campaigns against Smith, Kallis, AB and Amla were destructive and ignorant. AB being denied a late WC entry was probably our last chance for 10 years...blithely discarded.. 

Oct 16, 2019, 18:45

Moz, AB outed himself....integrity is more important than a chance at a WC, entertaining him would have been wrong on so many levels.

Oct 16, 2019, 18:50

Smith and Kallis left too soon...Amla on time. The problem is that the next in lines did not step up to the plate ....AND the leadership is not what it should be. Faf is a fighter with grit, but a poor tactician and apparently not a real "thinker" of the game. Amla and AB weren't either....that's the real problem. Get Biff in the change room ASAP!

Oct 16, 2019, 23:40

Honestly I don't get the big 'integrity' issue with AB. After adding huge value to the Proteas he decided he was done....hell, maybe he didn't enjoy the coach. Then shortly before the WC he changed his mind......that's not even as bad as the  disgusting snot blowing I see in every sport these days.

Oct 17, 2019, 01:31

Draad Stiaan is another quality bat we never invested in and messed about

He continues to impress here as does Rillee

Unfortunately the horse has bolted with both

Oct 17, 2019, 09:04

Dread, I'm a big Smith fan.

He knows the system, has an incredible amount of leadership experience and I struggle to think of anyone else that'll be able to prepare our teams more thoroughly. 

From the outside, I struggle to see the downside to st least giving him a bash. There just doesn't seem to be a single hard nosed fighter in our team or on the staff. 

We'll keep struggling if the situation persists.

Best quote about Smith ever. His ex wife's family really dislike him and say he's addicted to the spotlight. They said...

"He'd go to the opening of an envelope." Hahaha

Oct 17, 2019, 20:46

"There just doesn't seem to be a single hard nosed fighter in our team or on the staff. "

Pansies, the whole lot of them.:D....only joking...Elgar and Faf have plenty of fight, but neither of them has the do or die stubbornn leadership Smith had. He simply refused to be defeated....most 4th innins centuries ....and one of the best tacticians around.

Oct 22, 2019, 13:33

Lack of talent in running Cricket SA, lack of Proteas selection, management and coaching and a lack of talent. 

Our Cricket is being run by clowns. Can't bowl, can't bat are barely club level. 

Thank goodness Rassie has been bringing the Boks up to pace. 

You need to Log in to reply.