You need to LOG IN to reply.

Amla is a deadly loss to the Proteas

Forum » Cricket » Amla is a deadly loss to the Proteas

Jan 30, 2019, 13:39

He stands in the slips -  the score is 42/1 -  Rabada bowled a beauty - got the edge and an easy catch is on the line.   However, the ball went straight through Amla's  hands and he missed the catch.

Problem is Amla's reactions are too slow to field in the slips - bad news.   

Steyn bowlerd 4 overs and gave away 31 runs -  way too expensive.    

Jan 30, 2019, 16:48

So what Mike

Drop Steyn and Amla?

Jan 30, 2019, 17:07

Amla lost the plot.   In this game he gave the Pakistani's 50 runs through the first missed catch and he missed a second catch at slip as well. The last missed catch gave the pakistamni's another 15 runs.  

In this series the Proteas missed 8 catches altogether - Amla missed 4 of those.  Perrsonally I think his reaction time is gone and  his batting game showed that too,

I am not sure about Steyn.  He played in 3 ODI's  and the result was as follows:-

*    Overs bowled      -     23

*    Runs                    -    119

*    Average rpo        -     5,17

*    Wickets               -        3

On average he was good enough - but today his bowling was atrociously poor -  runs from 8 overs.

There are another 5 ODI's before the WC.   If Amla keeps failing he should not be in the WC squad.

Jan 30, 2019, 18:57

Amla out again for 14 runs from 17 balls,

If the Proteas lose this game it would be entirely the fault of Amla. 

Jan 30, 2019, 20:21

Maaik, you are too close to the fire, take a step back. Amla has an important role in the team. 

Quinny won it for us tonight, with Rassie and Faf steering us home.

Jan 31, 2019, 02:18

Quintie was very lucky today....Chinese cut which missed the stumps by inches......caught out, only to discover the bowler was an inch overthe line.

Nonetheless it's true that he batted dynamically after that.

Amla dropped two sitters today, perhaps it is time to move him out of the slips.

Jan 31, 2019, 07:26

Draad

I have a problem with Amla as  opening batsman.    I think he may do better as no 6 batsman - where the bounce  of the ball will not be as difficult as the case is with the starting overs.  Maybe it will work out  - as opening batsman he has developed serious eye-hand co-ordination problems and against slower and less fast bowling he may do better.   That could be  a problem though if the first ODI is born in mind,   He went sleeping in overs 40 to 50 of the series, 

I would rather move Van der Dussen to open the batting - where he played on provincial level.  .  He is a better player against fast bowling than he is against spinners, which routinely is bowling when he plays at 5 or 6.

Feb 02, 2019, 21:59

Putting Amla and number 6 is eerily reminiscent of Tokkie wanting to play Amla at 7 in the T20 team a few years ago.

Both ideas beyond stupid. Amla had a very succesful ODI series. The only question is whether it's time to shift him out of the slips.

You need to Log in to reply.