Another match abandoned . . .

Forum » Cricket » Another match abandoned . . .

Jun 11, 2019, 15:09

For the second day in succession a CWC match has been abandoned due to rain. This follows the washout of the Sri Lanka vs Pakistan game last week Friday so it's 3 out of the last 6 games abandoned due to rain.

This is what happens when you play a CWC on Mud Island . . . 

Jun 12, 2019, 02:04

Gosh....did you think that up all by yourself?

Jun 12, 2019, 03:40

Crashbang goes ou Koosie, our resident cricket professor, after another "newsworthy" and "knowledgeable" cricket post.

Laughing Graphics

Jun 12, 2019, 04:23

The Crowd has discovered that it rains in England....let's not minimize that insight.

Jun 12, 2019, 04:42

"The Crowd" or....."The Intimidator"

Jun 12, 2019, 12:09

Rooi, I battle to understand the logic behind the ICC's decision.

If they wanted to host it in England, surely they'd to their best to have it during the time when rainfall is at its lowest (usually towards the end of the county season).

never the less.

This is where we are and this is what we've been dealt.

it may favour SA, it may be our downfall...

But a peculiar decision made by some educated blokes non the less.

Jun 12, 2019, 13:16

The lowest rainfall is in June, July and August.....as is the most light, allowing delayed games to be completed. It's also the window when soccer is quiet, so the most viewers are available.

If you think the nation that invented the game should occasionally have a WC, the timing is optimized.

Jun 12, 2019, 13:24

Agree Flash.

To me the other no-brainer would have been to replay the abandoned or washed-out games the next day. They play 2 games a day every Saturday (and some other days as well) so why not have a second D/N game the day after a washed out game?

Do you know if spectators get refunded for an abandoned or washed out game? If so, I hate to think how much money they're losing every time there's no play.

Jun 12, 2019, 14:12

"Do you know if spectators get refunded for an abandoned or washed out game"

Not in a million years!

Jun 12, 2019, 17:24

This must be the year 1000001:

So, in case of an abandoned match, what will the fans who paid for the tickets get? Here's what the ICC World Cup Rain Policy has to say:If play is restricted or does not take place at the Venue on the day for which a Ticket is valid, including any Reserve Day, the Ticket purchaser may claim a refund of the Original Sale Price of that Ticket (excluding fees) subject to there being: (a) 15 overs or less because of adverse weather conditions - a full refund; (b) 15.1 overs to 29.5 overs because of adverse weather conditions - a 50% refund.

Jun 12, 2019, 18:56

Wot no thank you Flash.....just the removal of my Samoa at the WC to other sports. Big of you!

Jun 12, 2019, 19:15

Sniff! It's so unfair. Boohoohoo!

Jun 12, 2019, 19:46

Not at all.......petty. As for sniffing, I rather thought that was your poison.

Jun 13, 2019, 15:32

Seems Like India and New Zealand will be another abandoned match

What a damn shame

Jun 14, 2019, 01:59

CWC 2019 is becoming a bit of an anti-climax. 

Jun 14, 2019, 07:28

Not that we deserve to go through to the next round, but if one more of our (SA's) games is rained out we're basically out no matter how well we do otherwise. This is my one gripe with cricket, and especially 5 day games. The result is very often decided by the weather or the toss. Not anybody's fault, just very unfortunate. 

Jun 14, 2019, 14:15

OMG!

Jun 14, 2019, 17:23

Save the sarcasm ballie! You enjoy a five day cricket test being decided 20 minutes before the game by a coin toss? 

Jun 14, 2019, 19:36

I enjoy the traditions of the game, the fact that the toss, weather, light and pitch characteristics influence the contest.....it's a game of chance, just like life.

And it's a game that ebbs and flows....moments of boredom, moments of tension, long dreamy stretches when one can become philosophical.

Better stick to indoor tennis you obviously don't get the game.

Jun 16, 2019, 06:44

Moz, good description of what makes the game great...and some people just don't get it.

Jun 16, 2019, 08:27

I'm for all those traditions/conditions but the toss in cricket, especially the five day game is too much chance.

When you factor in home pitches being prepared to assist the local side, it starts to look unfair on the visiting team. 

My feeling has always been that tests should be played with time or overs as opposed to innings.

Each side bats for fifty overs and then switches. Still keeping unspent wickets in hand.

Jun 17, 2019, 11:21

Plum, I'm sure their are lots of ways to level the playing field, but great sides find a way to adapt to the conditions. 

Jun 18, 2019, 01:54

Plum it cuts both ways, every country prepares wickets to suit their home side so from that perspective I don't see a problem.

Blou

It is what it is, that's the nature of the beast, in Chess playing White is an advantage, I guess there are other sports that I'm not familiar with that has the same sort of impact. Thing is, the players prefer the 5 day format over the other two, the public in some countries don't, they want to be entertained. 

But apart from the toss there are many aspects to the five-day game which makes it awesome in my not so humble opinion. Moz has mentioned quite a few, I might also mention the walking of the gauntlet, striding out to the crease and copping the sledgeing, embracing the loneliness of batting and the intensity of concentration required to make a century and also the camaraderie among team mates and the pat on the back and the congrats from the very players who had sledged the player on his way to a big one. I could go on......

You need to Log in to reply.