You need to LOG IN to reply.

Anyone remember Henry Olongo

Forum » Cricket » Anyone remember Henry Olongo

May 28, 2019, 01:01

the ex Zim fast bowler? He led an interesting life after he started a protest in opposition to Zimbabwe's lack of democracy under the dictator Robert Mugabe. He went into exile after his life was threatened and lived in England for 12 years.I watched him earlier this year in a cricket one on one interview and was surprised to discover that he sang classical music, not a Pavorotti but he has a good voice. Now settled in Australia with a wife and two daughters he made a successful debut last night on a program called "The Voice" and says all he wants to do now is sing. I'll be following his progress through the program and good on him for having a go at age 42.

May 28, 2019, 03:10

Really nice story....good luck to him!

May 28, 2019, 05:00

I can remember how during the 2003 WC the Zimbabwe spies were going after him and Flower for wearing black arm bands to mourn the death of democracy in Zimbabwe and the spies was assisted by the SA Police.   They tried to arrest the two and snuggled them back to Zimbabwe.

However, the media - who highlighted the story in the newspapers got wind of the plan and tipped them off.   Some local supporters smuggled the two out of the hotel where they are staying and took the two to Botswana from where they fled to England.   The involvement of the SA Police and secret service was treated as a scandal at the time.

As far as I can remember Olongo's  father was a Kenyan who went to Zimbabwe as a preacher and his mother been a Zimbabwean he grew up in Zimbabwe.     

Be it as it may Flower played some club cricket in England for quite a while afterwards and ended up as a coach in England.   I read somewhere that Olongo became a preacher and lost track about what happened to him subsequently,  Glad he turned out to be successful and wish him well. 

Flower's  father was a rather dubious character.   He was the Head of the them Rhodesian Secret Service, but became an agent of the British Government and sold out the Smith Government in the process,   He also ended up with a farm in Zimbabwe,   He stayed on as head of the Zimbabwe Secret service under Mugabe during the 1980's,  after which he retired and went farming.   Needless to say he lost the farm in the early 2000's  and that is likely that resulted  in the protest during the 2003 WC.      

May 28, 2019, 05:09

Mike you remember quite a lot, G'onya. I think you mean "Flower" not "Fowler" that's Andy Flower. A typo methinks. It never ceases to amaze me how the world stands tongue-tied when monsters are allowed to rule their countries and Mugabe was a monster.

May 28, 2019, 18:35

Thanks Denny

I corrected the surname as indicated,  The saga remains the same. 

You need to Log in to reply.