Archer flattered by Steyn comparison

Forum » Cricket » Archer flattered by Steyn comparison

Aug 23, 2019, 05:40

England bowler Jofra Archer says he is "flattered" to be compared to South Africa great Dale Steyn after taking 6-45 on day one of the third Ashes Test.

Archer, playing in his second Test, claimed his first five-wicket haul to help bowl Australia out for 179.

Australia opener David Warner, who made 61 at Headingley before being dismissed by Archer, said the 24-year-old bowled like Steyn, who took 439 Test wickets.

"It is really nice, flattering really," said Archer.

"Dale tweeted me a few years ago when I first started playing for Sussex.

"It is nice that someone who has played so many matches and has taken so many wickets would even think about me."

Steyn, 36, is South Africa's leading Test wicket-taker and claimed 26 five-wicket hauls before retiring earlier this month to prolong his playing career.

Of the 74 Test bowlers to have taken more than 200 wickets in the game's longest format, Steyn has the best strike-rate - averaging a wicket every 42.3 balls. Archer's Test strike-rate currently stands at 33.3

Nice respect from Archer. Both bowlers generate effortless pace, as does Rabada. Archer seemed less obsessed with the head hunting today, which also makes it easier to enjoy his success.

Aug 23, 2019, 17:04

I will always remember him as the bowler who laughed when he seriously injured a batsman. I really hope he grows up fast.

You need to Log in to reply.