Archer hitting too many players?

Forum » Cricket » Archer hitting too many players?

Aug 18, 2019, 19:27

Today he clocked Labuschagne with a very dangerous ball. In the WC he hit Amla and another Aussie bat with vicious deliveries.

This isn't happening by accident. It's a skill. As the panel of Warne, Botham etc concluded, it's because the ball chases the right hander. They might have added he has found the perfect head high ball length.

So no doubt his pace, movement off the pitch and length is pretty unique. The question is.....is it dangerous? And certainly without head protection it clearly is. Somebody could have been killed.

But even with head protection somebody could get hurt.....the thyroid for example. And of course concussion as with Amla. Odd how in the supposedly tough game of rugby the head is carefully protected...but head hunting is okay in the gentleman's game of cricket.

Aug 18, 2019, 19:57

Mozart

Somebody sometime made a comment roughly as follows-

*   Rugby is a game for hoodlums played by gentlemen

*   Cricket is a game for gentlemen played by hoodlums.

I cannot remember who made the comment and when - can you remember who made that comment - I think it was a cricketer of note.       

Aug 18, 2019, 21:10

I always thought that was about Football. :ermm::'(:dizzy::blush:

Football, a gentleman's game played by hooligans. Rugby, a hooligans game played by gentleman.

Aug 18, 2019, 21:48

Stop splitting hairs Xavi.....lol.

Aug 18, 2019, 22:48

I heard that saying in the 1970's  and there definitely was no link to football at that time. . 

Aug 18, 2019, 22:48

I heard that saying in the 1970's  and there definitely was no link to football at that time. . 

Aug 19, 2019, 04:15

You guys obviously missed Steve Smith first being struck on the forearm followed being poleaxed by a sickening brute that caught the side of his neck. He went straight down and was forced to leave the field. If the swelling on his forearm wasn't bad enough fearing a fracture, then the neck job certainly had possibilities of being fatal.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-17/the-ashes-second-test-lords-day-four-live-blog/11365890

Aug 19, 2019, 04:55

I heard he was out of the game, but given other commitments I've seen little of the game....sounds pretty bad, I think I still have the recording, I'll look for it.

Aug 19, 2019, 05:11

The next test starts in 4 days time, it won't be enough time for him to recover.

Aug 19, 2019, 06:04

I have just seen the incident. It's disgusting to see Archer wander off after Smith is hit.....standing there laughing with another Pom.

The fact that this guy smiles all the time doesn't mean he has an ounce of remorse. The fact that a panel of cricket greats like Botham and Gower can basically condone the tactics is stunning.

The baying crowd disgraces the game at Lords the home of cricket.

'Thrilling stuff' says the commentator, who sounds like Boycott.

Two overs later to Siddle his first and third deliveries were bumpers. Far too many head strikes by this bowler in a few months and he is not going to stop.

Aug 19, 2019, 13:12

He has clocked opposing batsmen 19 times in One Day or Test cricket, seven ahead of Pat Cummins, and ten or more in front of Mark Wood, Kemar Roach and Kagiso Rabada.

https://twitter.com/cricvizanalyst/status/1163157496791330816

When digesting that graph, memories of Australian quicks of a bygone era come rushing back.

Jeff Thompson and Dennis Lillee in the infamous 1974/75 Ashes series. "Mitchell Johnson against England in 2013/14 on Australian shores. Brett Lee on debut against India on Boxing Day in 1999.

All bowled short, hostile spells designed to instill a sense of total discomfort in opposition batsmen. All relied on aggression and raw pace to unseat the padded figure 22-yards away. And all did it with a level of success that made people sit up and watch, unable to avert their eyes from perhaps the greatest reality television that exists."

Aug 19, 2019, 15:25

Starc has been as quick as they come, and used the bumper.....but not with the accuracy or intent that Archer is showing. We are a long way from Thompson and Lillee culturally.....Archer is a head hunter plain and simple.

Oz will have to respond......is Starc no longer playing 5 day tests? If he's fit and available I'd bring him back and give the Poms some of their own.

Aug 19, 2019, 20:59

It’s a great skill good luck to him

Aug 19, 2019, 22:20

So is a clothes hanger tackle....but it's illegal because it's dangerous.

Aug 20, 2019, 04:04

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/cricket/aussies-held-their-breath-watching-steve-smith-cop-a-ball-to-the-head-weve-been-there-before/ar-AAG0zof?ocid=spartanntp#image=AAG0zof_1|4

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/cricket/smith-speaks-out-after-sickening-ashes-blow/ar-AAFYNlQ?ocid=spartanntp

Aug 20, 2019, 05:39

On 25 November 2014, Hughes was hit in the neck by a bouncer, during a Sheffield Shield match at the Sydney Cricket Ground, causing a vertebral artery dissection that led to a subarachnoid haemorrhage. The Australian team doctor, Peter Brukner, noted that only 100 such cases had ever been reported, with "only one case reported as a result of a cricket ball".[7] Hughes was taken to St Vincent's Hospital in Sydney, where he underwent surgery, was placed into an induced coma and was in intensive care in a critical condition.[8] He died on 27 November, having never regained consciousness, three days before his 26th birthday.

That could easily have been Steve Smith's fate.

Aug 20, 2019, 13:24

Yes Moz, that was a sad moment.....a nation paused to grieve. I've watched the tape several times and it brought a tear to my eye just like it has to millions of others. Phil was a top country bloke who was going about making his way back to the test arena.

Thing is cricket changed and it all started when they bounced tailenders. The bouncer or short-pitched delivery is here to stay, cricket is damnded with or without it. Fancy facing it without a helmet, many did and they're alive to tell their story. Greats like our own Barry Richards, the immortal Viv Richards, the list just goes on...

You need to Log in to reply.