Conway

Forum » Cricket » Conway

Feb 22, 2021, 17:22

Once again an ex SA born sportsman has a cracker of a game.

SA born Conway smashed 90 odd against the Aussies in a 20/20 game for NZ.

Great innings which allowed the NZ team to win after a poor start to thie innings.

Bravo Conway.

Feb 22, 2021, 18:43

What else do you expect - if you are a White you are basically discriminated against when teams election is considered - you must get past the quota system.    

Feb 22, 2021, 19:09

Feb 22, 2021, 21:07

yip.

i used to wonder when he was playing thr lions when he'd get a proteas call up.

wrong color unfortunately.

Feb 22, 2021, 22:09

Sad but true Chippo.

Feb 22, 2021, 22:24

Chip you need to go have a word with your brothers :)

Feb 22, 2021, 23:24

boet... i have so many enemies for speaking my mind.

Lucky, rugby has enough players of color being seleected on merit. So no peoblems there.

CRICKET on the other hand... not a single batsman of color is good enough to play for the proteas. We need gents that can concentrate for long.

Feb 22, 2021, 23:56

I can imagine brother

So true re rugby where we can confidently say selections are all merit based now

Watching this domestic T20 has me scratching my head.

Standard is so poor. So many kak black and white players

Young Qeshile looks ok as a bat and Hamza needs better investment

Feb 23, 2021, 01:27

Hamza.... we're wasting him at domestic level. He lost confidence when he was dropped from the test team. We should have persevered with him.

I still say we have 11 really good players to take us forward.

In Rickelton, Roelofsen, Bird, Ngidi, Rabada, Mulder, Sipamla (kinda), Hamza, QdK (once he finds his brain), Verreyne, and a bunch of other youngsters who i cant think of at this hour....

we have a good future.

Politics may fuck us up though.

Feb 23, 2021, 02:26

Add Markram, v Tonder, Janneman, de Swardt, Richards, Breedtske, Queshile and Ackerman to that list of bats

Andile as an all rounder to challenge Mulder

Coetzee, M. Pretorious, Ethan Bosch, Jansen twins and Tait as bowlers

Nortje is young at 26

We must be able to find a competitive 11 from the combined list

Certainties for me are de Kock, Markram, Maharaj, Nortje, Rabada and Ngidi

So we need to add 5 to complete the team

Front runners as bats would be v Tonder, Verreynne, Janneman and Hamza

All rounders is between 3 in Mulder, Andile and M Pretorious, with Mulder holding the strings at the moment

Markram is the obvious choice to lead

Feb 23, 2021, 02:53

Dave

In essence  I agree with you - but the main problem remains batsmen,   However, I think that Van Tonder is the dark horse in the captaincy stakes,   In countries like Australia, England and especially India he would have been in the national Protea set-up when he was 20 years old.      

Feb 23, 2021, 03:23

van Tonder is not a dark horse for the captaincy as he has not even played an international game yet.

He will have to have played at least two years of international cricket before he is even considered

He is years away from captaincy contention

If Markram is chosen he will lead for at least 5 or 6 years minimum

Feb 23, 2021, 07:52

If  Markram was a certainty he would have been appointed by now..   I think that Graeme  Smith  did not play two years for the  Proteas before he became captain.     Bar for the inuy to his finger Van Tonder was a certainty to play against SriLanka,

I think that the problem with Markram is his inconsistency,   He is bit a consistent performer,   That is why they did not appointment him already.    However, I said that Van Tonder is the dark horse in the race as captain - not a certainty.      .     

Feb 23, 2021, 12:45

Yes Mike that was before the SL and Pakistan series. There was a question mark then

But he averaged over 50 against SL and Pakistan and with it put to bed the doubts over him

So before these two series they would not have appointed him captain but chances are they will now.

Mike why do you so often miss the obvious? Just like it’s absolutely obvious that v Tonder is nowhere near the captaincy consideration for obvious reasons. Hell he does not even captain his provincial side

If its not going to be Markram as captain then it will be between Elgar, Rassie, Bavuma or Maharaj

You need to Log in to reply.