Cricket South Africa must be patient, but also do better

Forum » Cricket » Cricket South Africa must be patient, but also do better

Feb 02, 2022, 01:40

Johannesburg - The last fortnight in SA cricket has created the impression that the sport has gone full circle.

Once more it’s the players who have lifted the sport above the muck created off the field.

The Proteas’ performances in recent weeks were inconceivable. To win against that Indian team, which rolled into the country high on confidence having played superb cricket at home and away in the last few years, must rank as one of the greatest performances by South Africa in 30 years.

But the hugs and smiles from the players and coaches in the last few weeks, and the joy of South African fans – even as they missed out on watching inside the stadiums – took time to create.

Therein may lie a lesson for everyone. It’s very easy to criticise this new board of directors. Boy, they have stuffed up on a lot of their messaging since occupying their seats last July. Certainly, their timing about some critical matters related to the men’s national team – still the primary asset in SA cricket – has been shoddy. The fact that a CEO still hasn’t been appointed is deeply concerning.

The new board inherited a big mess, so in attempting to clean up the sport, mistakes were going to be made.

A bit like the Proteas under Mark Boucher, there have been a lot of mistakes on and off the field. That’s understandable; there’s been a new coaching structure, a new chairman of selectors, the assistant coach resigned quite suddenly, new captains had to settle into their roles, and the pandemic continues to play havoc with the schedule.

Boucher said this week that the team had, in his mind, turned a corner some time ago. The first tangible evidence of that new direction has come in the last few weeks against India.

And perhaps it should be the same for the administrators. It is easy to criticise, whether you think they’ve handled the fallout from the Social Justice and Nation Building report well or not; whether they’ve done enough to attract sponsors back to CSA, or how they’re handling streamlining the senior management structure at the organisation.

The timing of some statements have been poor and it was somewhat startling to read in an Afrikaans Sunday publication that acting CEO Pholetsi Moseki says CSA’s communications department is “a problem”.

Given how poor CSA’s administration has been in recent years, creating a better reputation with the public is essential and that demands good, proficient communication.

It appears the board is in a rush to establish itself. Creating a better environment in SA cricket will take time, just like that turnaround for the national team took time. Rushing now could lead to bigger and avoidable challenges in the future.

The reputation of sports administrators in this country is poor, and CSA and its new board can ill-afford to have the public against it this early in its tenure.

Feb 02, 2022, 03:58

Feb 02, 2022, 04:09

You sure no how to pick ‘em. But I’m curious, what exactly did you see in this perfectly ordinary medium pacer that had you raving?

Feb 02, 2022, 05:58

Wiaan Mulder43130.2500

So ermm umm anything else?

Laughing graphics

"You sure no how to pick 'em. " 

Aah no.....Grammar Nazi.....I don't "no" how to pick 'em.

Laughing graphics

Feb 03, 2022, 13:16

Denny

Jun 23, 2021, 12:22

"Did you have a look at Wiaan Mulder's bowling figures?  Oustanding!"

"You sure no how to pick ‘em. But I’m curious, what exactly did you see in this perfectly ordinary medium pacer that had you raving?"

I'll play nice, you asked me a question, I believe I gave you an answer so in case you've missed it I'll repeat my answer.

Here...

BOWLINGOMRWECONWDNB
Kagiso Rabada1362421.8401
Wiaan Mulder43130.25

Go ahead and tell if you don't think the above figures are not outstanding.

Feb 03, 2022, 13:32

"Aah no.....Grammar Nazi.....I don't "no" how to pick 'em."

LMAO!

Feb 03, 2022, 15:24

Moffie's taking a long time to answer a simple "yes" or "know" question.

LMAO!

Feb 04, 2022, 04:16

Let me help Peeper. When you have a nested quote within a quote, the convention is to use single quotation marks for the inside quote. Do try to get these small details right.

And Quisling try to base your case for a bowler on more than 4 overs. But I’ll give you a chance, are you saying Mulder was impressive against the Indians having punted him so heavily before. A simple yes or no will do.

It’s so nice seeing the old firm getting up off the floor and teaming up again….you were embarrassed this time, but don’t be discouraged. Any partnership formed in mutual loathing can’t be all bad.

Do I hear any Durban July picks……waaaaaaahahaha!

Feb 04, 2022, 07:12

"And Quisling try to base your case for a bowler on more than 4 overs"

Good try Bwhahaha but I wasn't "basing a case for a bowler" ......I simply "raved" as you say at Mulder's outstanding bowling figures. 

So let me ask you again.......do you not find those figures, great? brilliant? outstanding? 

And OBTHW what do you mean by "Wiaan Mulder is my first pick"?

Feb 04, 2022, 07:32

Know, I think we all no who embarrassed himself.

LMAO!

Feb 04, 2022, 18:25

So no credible response to the botched quotes….and the 4 overs. Ah well perhaps Peeper is rusty. The good news is Quisling who has  recently run for cover every time he has encountered me, is suddenly bolder while Peeper holds his hand.

Perhaps if I’m patient they will  produce a bit of sporting opposition, one can only hope, 

Feb 05, 2022, 04:00

You are a drip and a bad one at that.   Denny quoted an article with regard to the top structures in cricket in SA that since 2015 was in crisis mode.   That si why for isntance De Villiers in 2017 withdrew from international cricket,  

You failed to even comprehend what was a major problem in cricket in SA and as per nomral went of on a personal vendetta response about an individual player which have nothing to do with the broader picture as to cricket management in the country.

So you missed the plot totally again.   Vendettas make people look silly - you have no idea about how you make yourself look silly by following the vendetta norm.    

You need to Log in to reply.