Cull the 30 plus year olds

Forum » Cricket » Cull the 30 plus year olds

Dec 26, 2019, 14:06

Boucher needs to be brave and start afresh either now or post the England series

Philander is retiring, Faf and Elgar need to do the same

They need to boot the talentless likes of Pretorious, Hendricks, Paterson, Second, Pieter Malan and Rassie

Be bold and pick a young side of

1. Markram (c)

2. Janneman Malan

3. Hamza

4. de Kock

5. van Tonder

6. Verreynne (w)

7. Andile / Mulder

8. Maharaj

9. Rabada

10. Ngidi

11. Sipamla / Nortje

Dec 26, 2019, 15:05

The present test thus far taught us something - the elderly should go and those include Elgar, Faf and Van der Dussen.   Even though Faf made 29 runs he faced 80 balls and was out because he refused to make runs from sub-standard balls and his only intend was to block balls.   

I agree with the above team - but think that the captaincy should go to De Kock - not Markram. 

Dec 26, 2019, 16:23

No de Kock does not have the brains to be a test captain

Markram is a natural leader

Dec 26, 2019, 17:01

Where did you get that statement from?  

Dec 26, 2019, 18:12

What statement

Dec 26, 2019, 19:06

Mike

VD Dussen worked his arse off to get into the side and now because he is 30 he has got to go.

If AB, Smith, Amla, Kallis, Morkel, Steyn, Donald, Kirsten(both of them), McKenzie, and and and, all got sacked because they they were thirty then we'd have been ranked no higher than 7th since 2000.

Stop doing this. It's nonsensical and it speaks to complete ignorance.

If a player shows no promise after much selection confidence then sure sack him 

Wanting to sack VD Dussen, an absolute quality player with a great technique and who can play all three formats, is just stupid.

Do you mind must giving him him a series or two before lumping him on your prejudice pile?

Dec 26, 2019, 19:12

The fact you think Quintie should be capitan and Faf should be dropped tells me you know very little about cricket, Mike.

Quintile is barely T20 skipper material. It takes a very special player to keep and bat high up. It takes a special player to skipper an international test side while keeping. 

Carrying all three of those responsibilities is ridiculous and only a once in a generation type of player can do it. 

Please, just stop. 

Dec 26, 2019, 19:37

.Plum

I am sorry for players like Van der Dussen - they have done very well for the Highveld Lions for years - but was ignored by our previous selection set-up.     He would not have played this test  if Bavuma was not injured,

Maybe that scared him off from batting properly and all he did was to try and protect his wicket and forget about the need to score runs,    Du Plessis did no better,

Unfortunately at present Van der Dussen and a list of other players are fringe players and there are a lot of those in the Protea squad.

The future of SA cricket look bleak at present and I think the answer is to start blooding younger players and really develop a squad for the future,    To stick with the oldies will mean two things - both undesirables,   We are going to lose the younger players when they go and play overseas    Secondly we are not going to build a squad that can help SA cricket over a longer period.

With all the 29 plus years players in the squad we will not really build a squad for the longer term and that is not going to help the team in the longer run,    That is why in this case I really support Dave on what he wrote above.    

Dec 26, 2019, 21:03

You need a balance of mature guys and talented younger players.....but if anything, favour experience.

Dropping Faf is an absurd idea. Based on what? Markham is questionable and now we make him captain?

And we move de Ok to 4, when is so obviously more comfortable lower down the order. Lucky not to be caught early  off Root, he was dismissed because he got tentative near his century, and because the ball moved. Keep him at 6....it's the right slot. Movement is his nemesis.

For the rest Hamza looks elegant and Pretorius a nice bat at 7.

We need openers.

Dec 26, 2019, 21:37

"Movement is his nemesis"

That is a real problem - not so Mozart?  Well - time to make up your mind.   First he would not be able to make it against the Aussie fast bowlers -  next it was spin - next it is swinging ball?  If all three is the case then De Kock according to you cannot bat at all.  So your suggestion that he be  replaced with Klaasen still stand?

By the way which experienced players are left amongst the batsman,  Elgar and Du Plessis - (leaving out De Kock since he cannot bat according to you) and among the bowlers only Philander, Philander is retiring at the end of this series.

The situation is unfortunate - must the two remaining "experienced" players be retained even if their performances are not up to standard?    In any event Du Plessis previously said he wants to play until the T20I WC in 2021 and will likely retire  thereafter,          

Dec 26, 2019, 21:39

Mike Hussey was 30 when he made his test debut for Aus.

Dec 26, 2019, 21:48

None of those batsmen can be compared to Hussey - who should have been in the Aus team long before he was selected,   He was really an exception to the rule.

Dec 26, 2019, 22:21

You didn't seem to have any of those  reservations about Rassie's age earlier  this year Wanker:

'Rassie van der Dussen, meanwhile, continues to look the part even 

though he has batted in three different positionsin just six ODIs and 

five innings.'

You are such a bullshitter.

Dec 26, 2019, 22:52

No Mozart

I ask you a number of questions and all you did was your normally idiotic evasion tactics,  Rassie did well enough in the shorter versions of the game - but to start his test cricket playing career when he is already 30 is lunacy,

So answer logically my questions stemming from  your uninformed comments about experienced players, please.      

Dec 26, 2019, 23:22

Pretorious is utterly useless a habitual failure in our ODI side.

de Kock was his usual brilliant self

Faf needs to go he is 35 and no longer contributes

Markram is a class act and looked it today until that silly throw away

Get rid of all the shit and invest in the youngsters 

Rassie looks as average as they come gets away with it in ODI’s but as we saw today I’m guessing test cricket will expose his limitations 

Stick with my side chosen....move de Kock to 4 and give the keeping duties to Verreynne who scored 74 against England for the A side last week

van Tonder with his 53 first class average is another must as is 23 year old opening bat Janneman Malan who also averages over 50

Play Andile with his great BMT over useless brittle Pretorious as our all rounder 

Dec 27, 2019, 00:23

And then we have this quote from you Willy Wanker:

'I think the SA cricklet team got stale and other than De Kock and recently Van der Dussen had no new batsmen coming through.   That was badly shown up in the present WC series.' 

So there you are saying Rassie and OK are the only bats to come through in the last 5 years. What a stinking hypocrite you are Wanker.

Dec 27, 2019, 01:09

Saffex

Quintie is the best keeper we've had since re-admission.

I'm not saying that yours is a bad idea but...

Is his replacement as a good a bat? If not, then it creates two problems where there was only one.

I won't explain because I think you'll get what I'm saying.

Dec 27, 2019, 07:06

Mozart

You made the following statement:-

You need a balance of mature guys and talented younger players.....but if anything, favour experience.

Dropping Faf is an absurd idea. Based on what? Markham is questionable and now we make him captain?

And we move de Ok to 4, when is so obviously more comfortable lower down the order. Lucky not to be caught early  off Root, he was dismissed because he got tentative near his century, and because the ball moved. Keep him at 6....it's the right slot. Movement is his nemesis.

For the rest Hamza looks elegant and Pretorius a nice bat at 7.

We need openers."

I pointed out real facts to you about the "experienced players" and your past lunacies about De Kock and your continued attacks on him.   I asked some real facts about the so-called "experienced players",   When it became clear that a player like Amla started going down in performance you denied that it was happening,  Instead of accepting the inevitable you tried to produce evidence to the contrary,  Amla himself evidently realized that he was letting the team down and announced his retirement from all forms of international cricket - but you totally refuse to see it and even the past week was beating the Amla drum again..

Now you come up with the "experience" story again and in the very  next story about "we need openers",  One of the openers is Elgar and is one of the only two experienced batsmen available in the team at present - since you do not rate De Kock at all and never did so in the past,   So keep Elgar despite your own contradictory statement in the same thread?  So lets accept Elgar is to be replaced - that leaves only Du Plessis and he is a player showing extremely poor form in the India tests earlier this year and only talk about remaining in cricket until 2021 and showing serious decline already,    

Mozart it really is clear - you make postings on site without any clear and factual evaluation on what is happening and then expect from other members to accept  your drivel.    When I pointed out what you wrote in the past about De Kock - you would not respond.   It is needless to point out that one of the test centuries of De Kock was made when he opened the batting but according to you  that just did not happen,    Don't you realize that De Kock scored at a massive rate for tests - while Pretorius was around hitting Curran for 14 runs in one over - but slowed down making runs when the next batsman  was producing near to zero runs,,  Was that not the reason for the decline in De Kock's  productivity?   Again another case of a BS posting by you,   .   

I said clearly what I think about Van der Dussen starting a test playing career at 30 - so what have that to do with what is happening?   Your issues always relate to the age factor of sportsmen  - the older the better denying that performance should be taking into account as a factor,   Why not bring in Verreine who tormented the English bowlers in the "A" game last week instead of Van der Dussen?   That type of thing is why your selection support is so crazy.                                 

Dec 27, 2019, 10:01

Nah ... let's just pick on merit.

If you have a 50 year old who plays better than the 20 year old ... pick him.

Surely you should be looking for the one who contributes the most to the team??

Dec 27, 2019, 10:42

Rabada has 184 wickets already!!!

This at SR22.5.

He's 24 and only getting to his prime now.

400 wickets by 28? He could potentially be SA's highest ever wicket taker.

For context, Steyn finished on 439 wickets at just under SR23.

Rabada is still missing a nasty edge. Never has chat to the bat. I wanna see some flaring nostrills and a few staredowns. 

Dec 27, 2019, 11:05

Well I see England is 15 for 2 so maybe poor Saffex can dry his tears for now!

Dec 27, 2019, 11:20

Philander starts the day with 5 overs for 0 runs and 1 wicket.

Relatively economical :)

Dec 27, 2019, 11:25

Pretorius should get a few today. 

Dec 27, 2019, 14:39

Suddenly the first innings score does appear that low.

Chasing 200 in the final innings will be an achievement.

Dec 27, 2019, 15:37

Poms in deep trouble now.

Looks like the Proteas will need about 150 in their second innings...if that.

Do will still need to sack all the 30 plus players?

Never make an assessment until both teams have batted boys. 

Dec 27, 2019, 15:50

I can't think of a country that produces better test pitches than SA. 

India, NZ, Oz, England and Sri Lanka all getting flatter by the year.

WI still producing some pitches with life from time to time.

In SA, for whatever reason, it just seems that a result is on the cards more often than not. 

Eng all out for 181. So much for their tail.

Philander 14.2 overs, 4 wickets...For 16 runs.

He may have been the guy that killed Epstien because that is some stone cold strangling.

Dec 27, 2019, 17:07

SA need about 100-130 more and the game is theirs.

That is, unless some miracle occurs in the final innings.

Dec 27, 2019, 17:56

SA leads by 175 runs at this stage with 6 batsmen still to bat.   300 could be a winning score - so they need another 122 or so runs/   Hope they get it.  

I am still not happy with the batsmen - Elgar in total made  22 runs from 27 balls -  Markram 22 runs from 26 balls - Hamza 43 runs from  88 balls and Du Plessis 49 from 108 balls.   That is just not good enough,

I still think the batting line-up needs to be upgraded.   

But to be frank SA is in a reasonably good position - so I hope De Kock comes to the party and save the test for SA.           

Dec 27, 2019, 18:05

Mike

Nobody outside of Quintie has gotten runs, and even he had some reprieve early on.

The game will be over inside of 3.5 days.

I'll spell it out. It's not a batter's pitch. 

300 is a winning lead on a good pitch.

200-250 is ample here.

Dec 27, 2019, 21:22

Was that cull or call the 30 year olds?

Dec 27, 2019, 21:45

Yes excluding Philander as he has announced his retirement

So let’s move on from squad members Malan, Second, Hendricks, Peterson and Pretorious who are all shit

Rassie is technically flawed so I see no purpose in investing time in him

Faf at 35 needs to retire

I guess Elgar at 32 has a season or two left in him but I would not bother. A test average of 38 given how long he has played test cricket now is just not good enough

You need to Log in to reply.