CWC - RSA vs Eng

Forum » Cricket » CWC - RSA vs Eng

May 30, 2019, 11:15

SA win toss and choose to bowl first.

South Africa 1 Hashim Amla, 2 Quinton de Kock (wk), 3 Aiden Markram, 4 Faf du Plessis (capt), 5 Rassie van der Dussen, 6 JP Duminy, 7 Andile Phehlukwayo, 8 Dwayne Pretorius, 9 Kagiso Rabada, 10 Lungi Ngidi, 11 Imran Tahir.

AND THATS THE PRECISE TEAM THAT I CHOSE (besides the injured Steyn) over here... https://www.ruckersforum.com/forum/cricket/cricket-nuts---/29620/

May 30, 2019, 11:20

Small little opening ceremony in progress at the moment.

May 30, 2019, 11:21

Faf on the same page as Denny....win toss and bowl. The bowlers must capitalize and take 2 or 3 early wickets. Batting will be a bit easier in the second session.

May 30, 2019, 11:25

SA has so far been better at chasing a target, than at setting one.

May 30, 2019, 11:30

Nice one flash

You've always been spot on with your comments and picks.

Den, got to hand it to flash, he knows his stuff.

#proteafire #goproteas

May 30, 2019, 11:33

Ngidi is going to be lethal on that wicket. On the downside there's Duminy and Pretorius......line and length is going to be critical.

Can't wait.

May 30, 2019, 11:35

First wicket. Nice

May 30, 2019, 11:37

Actually Chippo, See my below post to win toss and bowl  made 2 days ago.

And oh, where's your prediction Buddy? I've yet to see you guys stepping into the breach:ermm: 

May 30, 2019, 11:58

I think Ngidi is trying too hard and the batters are just using the speed on the ball to score runs.

May 30, 2019, 12:48

Den, what doe this mean "I've yet to see you guys stepping into the breach:ermm: "?

fact remains, flash is our local cricket powerhouse.

Not saying you are bad or anything... but flash is king.

May 30, 2019, 12:50

Gooo pretorius.

well done son. He's pegged them back nicely.

May 30, 2019, 13:42

Too many leg side balls by everyone.

Ngidi thinks he can move the ball more than he can. He needs to stay wider and force them to hit him on the up.

Pretorius, at his pace should be on the money. He ain't. 

Duminy & Markram look tough to get away. Pitch bit two paced with the odd stopper.

Would be great to have Philander here.

No swing for anyone thus far.

We need some OZ consultants to help us extract reverse in the first over.

May 30, 2019, 14:19

Dag Pruimedant.

Agreed on Philander.

May 30, 2019, 15:21

SA need to score 312 to win...achievable yes, good bowling kept Eng from a cracker score.

May 30, 2019, 16:37

oops ... Faf jou koos.

Red lights are flickering.

May 30, 2019, 17:01

Amla left the field injured and is unlikely to return.   Marlram and Du Plessis were out playing stupid.  

Poor Quinton is the only one trying anything.    

May 30, 2019, 17:26

... and there goes Quinton. eina.

May 30, 2019, 17:39

Duminy you fool.

That shot from the most experienced player in the side?

Such an anticlimactic tit he is.

Pretorius also out.

Wheels are off.

May 30, 2019, 20:21

Haha

Soft wickets and silly shots.

Should have been an easy chase on a pitch that did nothing but sit up a few times.

And they're lucky England took their foot off the gas else they'd have been chasing 360.

Dreadful.

Looks like a short tournament.

May 30, 2019, 20:24

Good...first loss out of the way:'(.

May 30, 2019, 20:56

Classical Proteas implosion.....de Kock, Faf, Duminy all out to bad deliveries. Dussen and de Kock the only decent scores, but de Kock was lucky with an edge at only 4.

You can take a Protea out of Potchefstroom, but you can't take Potchefstroom out of a Protea. These guys looked like overawed, losers from the moment Archer started bowling.

I don't know why the commentators thought we could chase 300 plus.

May 30, 2019, 22:54

Bunch of old men with no brains - Faf and JP were complete idiots and man oh man that Pretorious is utterly useless.

It’s a toothless side with two class acts in AB and Rillee Rossouw missing.

We can’t compete with only 3 front line bowlers.

Andile is there on merit as a handy 5th bowler and more than handy bat with good BMT but the other all rounder options in Morris and Pretorious are useless

May 30, 2019, 23:09

Saffex You still the same nonsense talker. Who is a old fart? The team is actually quite young except for Amla. Faf is mos only 34

May 30, 2019, 23:11

Mozart

Instead of praising De Kock and  Van der Dussen for their effort - they are added to the list of senior players who imploded.   

So lets get his straight:-

*    Amla's reactions are way too slow to play in decent matches.   Like in the previous two WC's he imploded again yesterday.

*    Both Du Pleessis and Duminy played extremely poor batting games and scored badly.   There fielding was good though.   

*    On the whole Duminy proved yesterday he should not be in the squad - neither should Amla.   They were traditional chokers in previoous WC's

*    The bowlers should have done better - the commentators referred to them bowling the wrong length balls all the time.

*   Why did Markram had a better economy rate than Duminy had and even lower than Tahit?

There is a lot of questions to be asked and the main one relates to the failure of Amla and Duminy.   They are at the end of their careers.

I think that Markram started badly - but he has ample scope to improve and at least his fielding was very good.   He has something the elderly chokers missed - he has youth on his side,

An extremely poor start - by a team who should do better, bar for  the reputation selections - after all both choked in the previous WC's as well..  

May 30, 2019, 23:13

Somehow I enjoy this hiding, because they deliberately choose to ignore AB.

May 30, 2019, 23:19

Problem is De Villiers himself decided to opt out and insisted he is not going to be available.

AB is now playing financial cricket - he adds on to his rapidly expanding  fortune.   Wonder how that would last - for AB's benefit I hope it goes on for the next 3 years 

In the recent IPL  AB had the following record:-

Poor betting -  circa 20%

Averege       -  circa  45%

Good           -  circa   35%  

May 30, 2019, 23:44

Wackhead you dumb fuck you will find that only de Kock, Markram, Andile, Ngidi and Rabada are young making the other 10 old farts.

Wake up you stupid prick

May 31, 2019, 00:59

Fok of you fat mothers smelly piel

Don’t bloody swear at me jou fokken wife beater.

I just said we not so old man

Do you need to swear like that? You fokken disgrace to our lord.

So is a player esithet young or to old? Is there no line in between 28 and 33? You fokken vet rot

May 31, 2019, 01:02

And you say to wake up my stupid prick? The Time your stupid prick was awake was when you put it inside your boyfriends poephol

Rot.

May 31, 2019, 03:53

"Gooo pretorius.

well done son. He's pegged them back nicely"

Laughing Graphics

May 31, 2019, 04:46

Mike

I thought Ngidi was disappointing in his first five(nerves?) and I also think Faf erred in not having a gully fielder in the early overs. They really lacked another good quick, pretty sad how it panned out though with some below average batting on a flat wicket that had 350 at its mercy.

May 31, 2019, 05:16

I think I erred seriously in picking the Proteas for the last four. Although in truth I always pick the SA team regardless, I enjoy the game more if I'm aligned..

What was disappointing today is it didn't even look like nerves, more like resignation.

May 31, 2019, 07:33

It was never nerves and total incompetence by key players and partly choking.   Lets face facts - there are players in that squad that rarely played anything for near to six months and when they did play they mostly failed.

So what do we have in the batting line-up:-

*   Amla failed badly

*   De Kock -  good performance

*   Markram failed badly

*   Du Plessis failed badly

*   Van der Dussen - good performance 

*   Duminy failed badly

In other words 4 out of 6 batsmen  FAILED BADLY,   Whenever under such circumstances 2 batsmen made more than half the runs the whole team made together it tells a story where the real problems lie.   

I would in the Bangla Desh game drop Amla - at least Miller may not be a total disaster.     I hope Du Plessis and Markram will  recover from the English game and show their real value - but think Duminy is another disastrous selection which is not much better than Amla was yesterday - but we will have to put up with one of them for the series.   

How they got into the squad was mostly through media hype and total surrender to what should never be.   The difference is the squad is too limited to allow for passengers and I am afraid they have too many passengers in the squad, 

I think against major teams  Amla  and Duminy will always fail    I give  Faf and Markram a chance to recover from this major setback - the other two have NO chance of doing that,   .           

May 31, 2019, 07:39

It's not as if I expected anything else from these losers.

We are a third world country, with third world sports teams, made up by enforced quotas and non merited selections.

We love drawing the elderly back into the mix.

Our cricket team doesn't have the attack to peg anyone back ... nor the batting to chase anything decent. 

We are known across the globe as chokers and in all honesty, the result yesterday flattered us.

What an embarrassment. They should save us further humiliation by coming home immediately.

The new South Africa ... a shadow of it's former self ... across every spectrum.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahaaa!!!

Great to see.

May 31, 2019, 08:15

Despite what happened yesterday, our batting is not the problem. 

The bowling is. 

It's easy to look good in SA. Our wickets are bouncy and fast. In England, control is paramount. 

The amount of balls that got played off of legs and hips in the first 15 overs was shocking. They totally wasted the brilliant start that Tahir afforded them.

Hardly any of the wickets SA took were down to good balls. Most were poor shots. One could argue that Root's dismissal was planned though.

Agreed Denny. The ball was sitting up and batters playing away from their bodies.  

Even before the first one squirted through gully there should have been a fielder there. 

Just piss poor.

May 31, 2019, 09:00

Plum

In a way you are correct - but the fact is the bowling was ineffective almost the whole game,   I think that Rabada and Tahir is good enough to play on flat wickets - Rabada was the top bowler in the IPL and  Tahir was also one of the top bowlers in that competition.

I still do not understand the field placing yesterday,   Why have two players in the slips when there was very little chance of slip catches?

I think the captaincy was poor yesterday and I also think that the bowlers will learn to bowl better in future.   Problem remains I think Steyn would be taken to the cleaners even when he returns from injury,    He was ineffective against the Pakistani's when he did play in ODI's so that shows that he is likely to be a problem selection as well.      

May 31, 2019, 09:49

Mike

In T20 there is immediate pressure on the batsmen. You can't ignore a bowler as you must score off of every opportunity.

In ODIs you can happily score at 3-4 an over from a teams best two bowlers and milk the others. Still hitting well over 300.

That's the difference.

In T20s natural pressure gives you wickets. In tests you have time to build your bowling attack plans. 

In ODIs you've got to be spot on and execute from the get go. You MUST make the batter play from ball one and a ball on the hips that allows rotation of strike is about as criminal as it gets. 

Fact is that this pitch was sitting up and instead of Ngidi, Rabada and Pretorious bowling slightly shorter and at a fifth stump, they were send half volleys and leg side balls down.

They bowled as if it were a slow pitch with variable low bounce. That's when you target the stumps. It NOT that type of track.

Gibson was a bowler. Yesterday's performance was seriously lacking guidance.

I really like both Ngidi, and Rabada is going to overtake Steyn's record I'm sure, but yesterday was nice mix of shit planning, failure to adapt and poor execution.

Our batters are fine. They'll sort their shit out. I doubt we'll see many more poor shots going forward.

Our bowling brains trust is glaringly lacking though. And it's too late to bring in anyone now.

May 31, 2019, 11:33

Moz, I said from the getgo that it's the worst Protea team to represent South Africa at a WC.

May 31, 2019, 13:08

Too true Denny...sigh!

A far cry from the palmy days of Hansies side and captainancy...chalk and cheese

Cronje, Pollock, Rhodes, Gibbs, Donald, Kallis,Klusener,Boucher, Cullingham, Benkenstein Elworthy, Boje etc.

A long, long way off. The best side in the world in the last 20 years.

May 31, 2019, 13:48

Well now West Indies have bowled Pakistan to a dismal score of 105...:'(

You need to Log in to reply.