Dominant day for the Proteas and Verrynne.

Forum » Cricket » Dominant day for the Proteas and Verrynne.

Feb 28, 2022, 06:35

This match looks won and Verrynne’s innings was the critical contribution. What a nice change from Ock’s failures  when put in match winning positions. Technically pristine, with extremely quick reflexes and a steady temperament, it will be interesting to see his progress. But playing that kind of innings in a critical situation away from home augurs well.

But there were also great supporting acts from Rabada and others. 

Feb 28, 2022, 08:09

Apr 19, 2021, 03:28

"Nice provincial players all....apart from Malan I see nobody in those teams who is going to stand up to the moving ball at Lords. Boucher knows this and he is trying to rebuild a broken house, by retaining a few more experienced players.

A guy like Verreyne looks okay, but his stats are scarcely better than incumbent Klaasen. This is no AB, Barry Richards or Gibbs. So why are we acting like the whole team’s fate hinges on his selection?

The simple fact is we are struggling for test level talent."

Eat your crow.

Feb 28, 2022, 08:26

Apr 28, 2021, 14:26

"The Proteas just aren’t very good....no shuffling of deck chairs on the titanic is going to make a difference. We simply became second rate when  Smith, Kallis and Amla retired. Which is why people who understood the game wanted to play them even if their powers were waning. Play the best guy available....building for the future doesn’t help the future and accelerates decline.

Verreyne seems like a decent young player, world beater....nope.

The worst crop of young cricketers we have produced for a long time."

Would you like some sauce with your crow?.

And oh.....it's kyle Verreynne not Verreyne(sic)

Feb 28, 2022, 08:48

Lol the Quisling is so rattled by Moz that she can barely stand. Just breathe, Denny. You’ll be fine, I promise.

Yep, Verrynne is a class act.

Watched a lot of his innings and am glad he came good.

Unfortunately, Elgar will have to make way for Malan now. It’s either him or Markram but Malan simply has to be in this team.

And then Rickleton.

I’m getting very worried about Rabada’s back. There is something not right with him and I can’t help but think that it’s down to the stress fracture he suffered some time ago. He’s just not been the same since. Nice job with the bat though. I believe I was the first one here to call his new all-round status.

Feb 28, 2022, 09:38

Mozart

You are the one who wanted Klaasen  ahead  of Vereynne in the team and called the latter useless in the past.   You could not held off from your pet hatred of De Kock out of your above comment.   Have you changed your tune a year after we started suggesting Verreynne  should be in the team ahead of the failure batsmen we suffer from.     

Time to look  again at Elgar and Van der Dussen - I would play Rickelton ahead of them every day of the year and would also pick Van Tonder for the team.   That would mean a real reliable stronger batting line-up than we have at present.             

Feb 28, 2022, 09:41

Mike you are asking if Moz changed his tune when he literally made a post and singled out how impressed he was by the performance of the player in question.

Feb 28, 2022, 09:55

Dope-head who pressed your button hmmmm?....oh I know, duty calls, it's your master and you need to clean his clock. 

And as for being rattled......well there's a laugh, the only rattles I hear is from the bones of the retired. 

I see Reeza Hendricks your quota "world beater" didn't cut the side.....what happened?

"They don't come better than him."

Laughing graphics

Feb 28, 2022, 10:03

"Yep, Verrynne is a class act."

Did you only just make that discovery? Hell I can dig out some posts of some months ago where some on here were singing his praises to high heaven,,,,,,would you like me to embarrass you again? 

And while they were calling for his selection your Maaaster persisted with his choice of the incumbent  Klaaaaassen as in the above copy and pastes.

And hey old buddy it's Verryenne not Verrynne (sic)

Get it right FFS before you belatedly also climb on the bandwagon.

Feb 28, 2022, 10:25

Tante, I’ve been one of those calling for him to be in the team for years. But pull up some posts, let’s see what on earth you’re on about.

You’re a technical nothing-burger when it comes to cricket, so I’m guessing it’s got zero to do with the game itself.

I’ve yet to see you make a recommendation or comment on anything other than figures. No talk about roles, synergy & combinations, adaptability, flaws, strengths…like nothing.

Nothing about the actual game.

I’m into the technicalities of the game, all of them. And you’re not able to speak about any, even superficially.

So, what are we doing here?

Feb 28, 2022, 10:35

Dope-Head, get this into your befuddled "brain".......I don't post for your benefit......I know that you dote on my every post and that you've gleaned a ton of info from them.

No need to thank me.

Just walk away from Reeza and Shamsi.

"Tante, I’ve been one of those calling for him to be in the team for years."

Unashamed Liar!

Go ahead and show us, I promise to apologise based on proof.

Feb 28, 2022, 11:49

Same old . . . Moffie and his Servile Gimps slag off a player until he performs and then they suddenly pretend they've been long-term fans.

We saw it with Jaque Fourie, Cheslin Kolbe, Andre Esterhuizen and now I see it's no different when it comes to cricket . . . now Moffie is pretending he discovered Kyle Verryenne after he ridiculed him.

LMAO!

Imagine being such a loser that lying about something so trivial is so important to your self-esteem!

Feb 28, 2022, 11:49

Umm...would you like to go and find earlier posts?

"Apr 08, 2021, 10:34

Boucher's issue with Makram is that he is in great domestic form.

Malan and Verryne are early twenties and clearly have the goods. Make space for them both and give'em an extended run. 

Markram's saving grace might be catching some confidence from a couple of lads that can hit the ball."

Oooooooooooopsie!

Feb 28, 2022, 11:52

Oh, i found this one from last month, before our man in question hit this big score...

"Jan 23, 2022, 12:30

Haha Quintie batting with the specific purpose of pissing Moz off.

To be fair to the chap, that’s two innings on the trot where he’s done well batting first IE not front running.

Retiring from Tests was a good idea. The shorter format is his thing and Verrynne is much better suited to it anyway."

Feb 28, 2022, 11:55

Eish, here's a team I selected last year...

"Jul 07, 2021, 12:35

Markram

Verrynne

Malan

R Hendricks

Quintie

Mulder

Fortuin

Andile

Maharaj

Rabada

Nortje"

Feb 28, 2022, 12:03

Can you hear that sound? Like somebody fidgeting with a brown paper bag?

Don't worry!

It's only Tante...reaching for her inhaler.

Feb 28, 2022, 13:04

Feb 28, 2022, 13:05

Dope-Head, unlike you I have a life away from the board, I don't park my ass on here 24/7 as you do and besides there's nothing you can do or say on here to make the world pivot.

But here, this is what you've said....

"Tante, I’ve been one of those calling for him to be in the team for years."

Well the proof you've provided doesn't reflect years it reflect months..."Jul 07, 2021, 12:35

Spot the difference?

Show me proof of when you called for his selection "for years" so unless you can do that you're factually a Liar.

Feb 28, 2022, 13:29

Now that Denny has quoted two famous threads of Mozart - one wonders whether Mozart realized that - same as he did in so many other cases - he has once again made a total fool of himself.   Time  is due for Mozart to apologize for all the BS he regularly spout on site in this case.    

Feb 28, 2022, 13:39

I don't have a beef with Dope-Head, he is of zero consequence.

Pompous Piles though is jumping on Verryennes bandwagon but those earlier posts shows how he dissed the kid  in favour of the "incumbent and useless Klaaaaasssen"

Sit back for the spin.......it's the only thing he's good at.

That part about hanging onto the retirees is the funniest though.......hell what does one do when a player retires? No sorry you can't????? Bwhahahahaha Don't know of any country that does.....is PP for real!?

Enjoy the spin.

Feb 28, 2022, 15:34

Plum... how did you pick your team??

Verreyne opening in tests?

Fortuin batting at 7?

Andile??????

Feb 28, 2022, 16:05

It wasn’t in a particular order.

Bats on one side and bowlers on the other.

Feb 28, 2022, 16:10

Whahaha poor Tante…

That was just a superficial search on Google

Feb 28, 2022, 16:57

Interesting…..Verrynne himself pretty much agreed with me:

After eight Test innings with an average of 14, that turned into serious uncertainty.

‘It’s been quite challenging, mentally. Test cricket is the toughest format of the game and my first couple of series - starting in the West Indies - were on quite challenging wickets," Verreynne said, after his unbeaten 136 on Monday. "Against India, it was probably the toughest pitches I played on and then coming here, in the first Test, the wicket was also quite tough to bat on. Mentally, you have a lot of doubts about yourself. You read a lot of things people are writing. There were a lot of questions being asked about me technically.’”

…..

He then makes the point that he  adapted his approach in the second innings using his feet more and being more aggressive. So the tentative Verrynne was replaced by a more positive player.

It worked yesterday. But Rabada smashed a near 50 with ease on the same pitch….batting conditions were benign. We will have to see which Verrynne emerges as time passes. The one that averaged 14 and looked at sea at test level, or the crisp batsmen that swung the test.

Stick with moz .

Feb 28, 2022, 17:14

If you really want to be crazy when it comes to player performance evaluation then stick with Mozart - he has never been correct the past year  when that issue is dealt with,    Are yopu stills ticking with Klaasen as the better option anyway?  

Feb 28, 2022, 17:38

Are yopu(sic) stills(sic) ticking with Ock?

Feb 28, 2022, 17:44

I cannot because he announced his retirement from test cricket and I do not chase shadows the way you do.

By the way dimwit - Verreynne decided to play his natural game and it came off very well.   He will continue in the same vein in future.     

Feb 28, 2022, 18:13

The wicket was really easy according to the star batter.

But be that as it may I will give the "Wicky and the Quicky" my support for the way they took control and played some exciting cricket and swung the game the SA way.

It was a pleasure to watch the batsman in action.

The bowling display in the NZ second innings thus far could not have been better for the SA team.

Credit to the team to come back after the 1st test debacle.

Finally I also have to admit that Denny was spot on with his prediction and support of the team.

Well done.

Now all the team needs to do is carry on and go for the win.

Vasbyt.

Mar 01, 2022, 15:24

Verreynne always had it, it was just a matter of time. That coming of age test innings will have done him the world of good.

It’s time to ditch Erwee, Elgar and Rassie and bring in Rickelton, Janneman and v Tonder

Move Markram down to 4

Have always liked the look of Sipamla - he is a far better option than the likes of Olivier, Stuurman and Hendrikse

Sipamla is our best back up seamer behind KG, Nortje, Ngidi and Jansen

You need to Log in to reply.