Elgar and Bavuma captains

Forum » Cricket » Elgar and Bavuma captains

Mar 04, 2021, 16:39

Elgar of tests, Bavuma ODI’s

Shock shock trust our cricket to fuck this up as well

Elgar turns 34 in a month or so - what’s the fucking point

Mar 04, 2021, 18:47

Not at all surprised but shocked that they did not make Bavuma captain of both the tests and ODI's.

The only reason is that his test place is in jeopardy I guess and no one else is stupid enough to want the test captaincy.

This is perhaps the only way Elgar can stay in the squad.

So much for Boucher's management and input.

Mar 04, 2021, 19:25

Boucher has been a complete and utter flop since his start and Smith has added zero value as well

Mar 04, 2021, 19:32

Dave with respect I did not think Markram was a candidate.     However, the appointments now made by CSA is totally devoid of all thinking ability.    They have F#cked up royally wioh those two decisions. 

Elgar was part of he failed batting line-up for two years until the recent SriLanka tests - his average hovered around 37,5 and in those two tests it went up to just over 40.    It is after the Pakistani series down to 39,81.     That is NOT good enough for an international batsman,   In any event he is 34 and will only become worse as a batsman - almost as bad as the fielder he already is.    

In the case of ODI's and  T20's  the situation is that the Proteas will now have to keep a place for him in the team ahead of a real attacking batsman.   If the team was selected on merit Bavuma would not be anywhere near the team.   He thus far has only played in 6 ODI's and because he was not out in some of those  and  in one of those he made 113 runs against Ireland his stats on national level were inflated.    On first class level his stats shows that he played in 96 matches and his average is 31.90.     He obviously is not up to international standard and will never be.              

While I hoped for improvement in SA cricket when Smith  and Boucher was appointed  I am now severely disappointed in those two.   The SA grading in World Cricket will leave SA as a joke in bad taste.    I can only say heaven help SA cricket - those two will not.   They are as bad as De Villiers, Meyer and Coetzee were as Springbok coaches - if not worse. 

Mar 04, 2021, 21:38

Markram was the only viable option

He has been captain throughout his career, is our best young bat by some distance and has rediscovered his test form

There are no other worthy candidates

Elgar is an average bat and turns 34. He should not be in the side

Rassie is 32, is technically flawed as a bat and not good enough to be selected

Bavuma, looks the part, but continues to fail. Is 30 and yet to cement his place. I’d get rid of him.

Maharaj is possibly the only other viable option except that we do not always play a spinner so making him captain would force the selection hand

There is no other candidate at all as none of Rabada, Nortje or Ngidi are leaders

But clearly useless Boucher is beyond working this obvious fact out

Mar 05, 2021, 05:03

By the way in shorter versions of the game Linde is a better option as a spin bowler than either Maharaj or Shamsi - since he score runs as well.   Maharaj is also a 30 years old already and as captain he chucked his  side - the Dolphins - down the drain in the recent T20 series final.    

Mar 05, 2021, 08:40

They are playing for a bit of extra time...it's obviously a very short term arrangement.

Mar 05, 2021, 08:55

That is perhaps so -  there are no test matches before July/August  when SA goes to  Bangla Desh.   I do not know what else is scheduled to happen in the form of tests this year,    

As to shorter versions of the games - the Pakistani visit in April and the tour to Ireland in June is all what is known at present.     Elgar is not a shorter version selection  candidate - but Du Plessis  wants to play in the T20 WC in India and may be muddying the water when it comes to selection.    The other flop bound to let down the Proteas is Reeza Hendricks who plays well on locallevel - but then flops on international level.

Mar 05, 2021, 11:43

Pretty funny...

8 years back we had five potential skippers in the side.

Now we have Bavuma and Elgar.

Poor old SA. 

Devolving into oblivion seems an inevitable fate.

Mar 05, 2021, 12:20

Linde is not a patch on Maharaj as a bowler and I’m not convinced Maharaja is far behind him as a bat

Maharaj is a world class spin bowler, Linde is Sunday league standard

Mar 05, 2021, 14:41

Mike

I'd love to hear...

Who's your first choice for test captain?

Mar 05, 2021, 21:06

After reading the article about the appointments I would rather say that -

*     the actual decision on the captaincy issue came from  Smit nd Boucher together woth Mpitsang; and

*     if I was in De Kock's position with the great earnings he can make in T20 series like the IPL and similar series  all over the cricketing world he should tell Boucher and Smith to go and stuff themselves and announce his retirement from international cricket,  

He does not need the  CSA  shit and can easily accumulate wealth like AB does without having to put up with misfits like  Smith nd Boucher.    They are f#cking up SA cricket royally by their crazy team and captaincy selections.    He is on contract with Mumbai Indians anyway and will likely tell the crazies he will honor that contract and not play in the upcoming Pakustani series arranged after he signed the Mumbai Contract.  

After more than a year  since their appointment Smith and Boucher has proved that they are as couching and management "expertise" as bad as De Villiers, Meyer and Coetzee used to be in the rugby set-up.    Another proof that top players often fail totally when it comes to  management positions in the sport they were playing.  .               

Mar 05, 2021, 21:22

Chippo

I would have accepted  Markram or any of the younger players as captain - definitely not  Elgar who has an average of under 40  on test level.    A test captain should set a performance example - Elgar does not,        

I think the Proteas would start going down further in the rankings than they already are.   We are going to the Zimbabwe  level on international level,.     All that because of the  poor management and  coaching set-up calling the shots,    

Mar 05, 2021, 22:36

It has to be van Tonder, Mike

Mar 05, 2021, 23:35

I'd also have gone with Markram to he honest.

I am a bit perplexed by Elgar's selection.

The only consideration may have been that Markram didn't want it right now as he is just finding his form again.

Mar 06, 2021, 09:44

Chippo, think about that statement for a second.

If you need to pick and choose when you'll lead then you're not a leader.

Exactly why I liked Ponting so much as a captain. No matter what his form was like, it never affected his captaincy. Always in your face, always thinking ahead and never even a glimpse of the role being too much for him. 

Aside from your speculation about Markram's willingness, I'd add another and more abstract point for consideration.

Attrition and will - With some captains, one is NOT perpetually aware of the skipper's influence. MS Dhoni and Root are two examples that spring to mind. 

Markram, I fear, might fall into that category. Quintie was very vocal at times but one often struggled to see the team exerting his will on the opposition. It's not it's about noise either. Timing, strategy and understanding when and how to motivate individuals. I don't know if Markram has that in him and what makes it worse is that there isn't a good leadership team in the squad. And all this is probably compounded by them playing in Smith's shadow too.

As much as I disliked Ponting the man, Ponting the captain was a great player to watch. 

On paper, Markram is probably the correct pick but it does look like he'll have a lot of growing into the role to do and I don't know where his support will come from.

Mar 11, 2021, 18:06

I have no hope for the cricket team what so ever. Looks like all those many years of choking has final caught up and imploded. I think we are even worse off than Zimbabwe at this stage. 

Ever since AB jump shipped, never been the same team. 

We just don't have the batsman. We still seem to have a decent set of fast bowlers but would you. 

Markram and De Kock are the only 2 decent batsman, but they are not the ones that can anchor a team like Kallis and Amla did or AB that can swing a game for you. 

Just looked back  at that Great  Aussie team and all of them were averaging 45 plus. Gilchrist, Hayden, Ponting etc. 

We also had Gibbs, Amla, Smith, Kallis, De Villiers. Boucher wasn't the best batsman but he sure could hang around with determination

Could be our local comp being watered down, most of our  best player are on Kolpak and probably some of the old farts hanging around too long. The  latter  was true of Aus

Mar 11, 2021, 18:38

Give it time, but there are no great leaders in the team ATM...the captain will be stand-in until the next natural leader step up to the plate....oh for a young Biff to the fore right now...

You need to Log in to reply.