Faf du Plessis grateful for fitness work done during lockdown for extending his career

Forum » Cricket » Faf du Plessis grateful for fitness work done during lockdown for extending his career

Dec 29, 2020, 01:29

PRETORIA – Hard work on his fitness and clearing his mind, not to mention being relieved of the captaincy, has most likely added a few years to Faf du Plessis’ international career.

There should be no concerns about him needing fluids on Monday as he notched up his highest Test score, it was oppressively hot in the middle.

Rather look at how well he ran between the wickets even as his innings ticked passed the six hour mark. “I feel fitter now than at any stage of my career,” Du Plessis said after scoring 199 on Monday. South Africa posted the team’s highest total in almost five years, with Du Plessis innings backed up by innings’ of 95 by Dean Elgar, 71 by Temba Bavuma and another career best effort of 73 by Keshav Maharaj.

However Du Plessis’ innings understandably stood apart given how much pressure he endured last summer when South Africa copped heavy beatings against India and England and as the side’s most senior player, he added little with the bat.

“The Covid lockdown gave me that chance to work on my fitness, which absolutely was a blessing. I understand my body better now and I think people will need to look beyond just the age of a player before determining if he is still able to be successful at international level.”

“I think this innings was important from a timing and statement standpoint for those people doubted that I was still able to do it at this level.”

Being able to make big hundreds is what we aim to do as a batting unit. Obviously 200 would have been nice, but it was important to show that when you get in, even just making 100 is not enough, it's important to go on and bat big because those kinds of innings' win your team matches."

Dec 29, 2020, 01:34

All the fitness in the world is not going to change the fact that the guy does not even average 40 after all those innings’s

Simply not good enough for your test number 4 bat aged 36 not even averaging 40

We need to move on

Dec 30, 2020, 03:11

No use to argue about this one as well,   There is no future depending on him  in all levels of the game - he is way past getting better due to his age,   I was pleasantly surprised  by his performance in the test, but it is very unlikely that it would be repeated in future,   

Is he going to keep playing on international  level  taking into account his own comments in 2019 about  retirement after the T20I WC?   We just do not know. 

Du Plessis was putrid against the English T20I's in December 2020 and did poorly despite his "great fitness" - but it is eye-hand co-ordination  that determines whether a player should continue,     That determine wheteher players can continue batting at top level and is affected by aging.    

The SriLankan bowling effort was poor because of injuries to three of their key bowlers during the match and as a result their bowling effort was poor,    In any event the pitch favored the batsmen and that help all batsmen for both SriLanka and the Protrea batters..   .     

Despite his alleged fitness Du Plessis ran out of steam late in his innings and could not even hit ones to get to 200 runs.   

In essence  I agree with Dave - the Proteas should start looking for an alternative.   The next test is possibly against Australia starting in late February 2021 and their bowlers will not be as kind to Du Plessis as the SL bowlers were..        

Dec 30, 2020, 13:56

The only way Faf will go is if he retires they won’t drop him. Same applies to Elgar

Dec 30, 2020, 16:16

Dave 

An unfortunate situation when players are selected on reputation and merit is not a consideration.   I have reason to believe that Faf will not repeat the innings he played against the SL's and will be looking poor against the Aussies.   

You need to Log in to reply.