Forget Olivier and Abbott

Forum » Cricket » Forget Olivier and Abbott

Jan 03, 2020, 22:14

I prefer the raw pace and accuracy of Nortje

Those two can stay in England

Jan 03, 2020, 22:55

Agree

But we need to nurture him and make him feel like he is wanted, unlike what happened to Abbott.

Some things ive noticed though...

He needs to take note of his body language. He often looks like he is downtrodden. its a small crit, but something worth noting.

As a fast bowler, he should always look like he wants to kill. Like steyn, donald, lee, mcGrath etc... killer instinct.

He would do well to work on a slower ball. His pace is brilliant, but could do well with some variation on slower tracks.

But hell yeah, he is a find of note.

Jan 03, 2020, 23:01

Agreed I think he will develop all that once he feels he has really made it and is an integral part of the team.

Our bowling is sorted if you add a fit Ngidi and Sipamla looks a good prospect

We now need some young bats putting up their hands

Jan 04, 2020, 01:18

Suddenly there's genuine speedsters popping up everywhere like in Oz, Pakistan, the Windies and of course our own Nortje. Guys who clock 150k/hr plus, 140k/hr has become the new 135k/hr

Speed alone is not going to do it for Nortje who I believe has the potential to be a great across all formats. It's a shame he didn't play in the WC. Matter of fact just before the WC, Dale Steyn franked his class with a huge wrap.

But getting back to the point about his raw pace, I agree he has to develop variety, his bouncer is the best I've seen from a saffa bowler so that's one's sorted but he still needs to find a bit more variety, perhaps a leg cutter, a slower ball or some in swing.....something. Nothing more sad than to see him going full bore all day and ending up taking the same amount of wickets as a slow bowler like big Vern.

Jan 04, 2020, 02:08

Nortje definitely swung the ball in the first test when the ball was about 50 overs old so that is a huge plus

Atherton said he had a bit of Steyn in him when he did that. He said it was one thing facing a bowler bowling in the high 140’s but another when at that pace he is moving it

Jan 04, 2020, 04:44

Steyn said early in 2019 that Nortje is his successor as top SA bowler.   

What I like about Nortje is that he has the knack to take out the top opposition batsmen,   He took out Root and Stokes today,   He is not just raw pace - but it is early in his career and he will learn more tricks in future.

Be it as it may - he is already better than Steyn was at the same stage of his career.

Our problem is not bowlers - it is developing an acceptable batting line up,   For too long we have been dependent on a few players who have been in decline over the last few years.   I do agree with Dave - we need younger talent coming through and it is indeed urgent to start looking for the talent we need in future,              

Jan 04, 2020, 06:17

"Our problem is not bowlers - it is developing an acceptable batting line up"

Don't get carried away, with bowling stocks like Hendricks and Dane Patterson who are in the squad I think you in for an unpleasant surprise. Batting is a major problem.....who are the potential centurions apart from De Kock?

Jan 04, 2020, 07:40

Duplicate

Jan 04, 2020, 07:40

Denny

Patterson and Hendricks are sheer quota selections and there are better bowlers around.   

Batting is indeed a major problem.    I would say to start off why not go for Janneman Malan, Verreyne, Van Tonder and Petersen - the latter made a century in the warm - up game against England - as building blocks in future.      

Jan 04, 2020, 07:47

Debby

Ai! ...now I'll have to wear a skirt:):ermm::D

Jan 04, 2020, 10:01

Sorry

Must not post that early in the morning.   LOL

I saw Labuschagne made his 200 runs and then fell asleep.   Apparently Labuschagne  had a choice to start his cricketing career in either SA or Australia (according to his father) aand he chose Australia, 

Wise choice - in SA he would not have been selected because of quotas,  

Jan 04, 2020, 12:38

Are you watching Rassie bat, Saffex?

Leaving the ball brilliantly. Stripping intensity off of the bowlers.

Jan 05, 2020, 17:30

CM thank you for clearing that up about Lappies for the uninformed site members.

Just goes to show that not only is he a great bat but he also has a head on his shoulders that is not there just to separate his ears.

Good for you Lappies......

Jan 05, 2020, 19:22

Gosh Wanker are you in contact with Labuschagne's father?

Jan 05, 2020, 20:58

No Mozart  

It as a comment Labuschagne's father made on a  TV interview after his son made the double century.   Just summarized what he said when he also indicated his son had the option to go and play cricket in SA - but decided to play in Australia/

Jan 06, 2020, 01:25

Plum Rassie was piss poor, should have been out at least 4 times.

But worst of all he is the reason we ended with a deficit. The way he played the spinner who never spun the ball was pathetic.

Look how Denly attacked Maharaj - that’s how you do it

Look he was better than most of our bats but let’s face it he should have been out early

Jan 06, 2020, 03:27

Who are the Protea century makers? Are there any?

Well, you can't say I didn't warn you, scroll back to my posts around the WC, it's there for all to see except for the blind CSA. Transformation, a virus, has been eating away slowly but surely and now finally it's reached a climax strangling all hope of a quick and sustainable recovery.

You need to Log in to reply.