You need to LOG IN to reply.

From a WC selection....

Forum » Cricket » From a WC selection....

Mar 06, 2019, 02:29

point of view ODI 1 provided no favours. More than half the team didn't get to bat and in the case of Pretorios and Mulder batting was necessary so as to give the selectors a better idea as to the better allrounder.I'm leaning towards Mulder but I'd llike to see him under pressure putting bat to ball against Sri Lanka. Pretorios offers nothing as a bowler and has yet to impact with the bat at international level as does at domestic level.

Gibson has wasted a lot of precious time by trading with club level players, the likes of Shamsi, Beuran Hendricks and Dane Paterson should never have dorned national colours. And he's still struggling with the batting lineup and batting form. Questions hang around Hamzr and Duminy and may not be answered before the WC. For ODI 2 I would drop Faf and Pretorios and bring in Markram and Hamzr and I would stick with the former for all the remaining ODI's.

This is the most poorly prepared Protea side leading into the WC.

Anyone out there expecting them to win the WC?....speak now I'd luv to hear.

Mar 06, 2019, 09:04

Denny

I would add Reeza Hendricks to the list of never to be used players on international level.   

The idea of leaving Du Plessis out is difficult since he is the squad's captain.   Can be done - and they could make De Kock stand-in captain.  He is bound to become the captain anyway after Du Plessis retires from test and ODI cricket.

Even the media is beginning to mention that Amla should not be in the WC squad because of his batting and fielding problems.   And Steyn was not taking enough wickets in the Pakistan series and he should be given a chance to bowl against the Sri Lankans as well.   Maybe that would happen today.   I would hate to see him in the WC squad on reputation  without contributing through making a positive  bowling contribution.      

Mar 07, 2019, 02:40

After the first 2 ODI's against Sri Lanka the question as to who should be in the WC squad  and who not is becoming clearer,   Based on the relevant performances the situation is as follows:-

Certainties for selection

Batting

De Kock, Du Plessis, Van der Dussen, Miller

Bowling

Rabada, Ngidi, Nortje, Tahir.

All-Rounders

Not sure

Fielding

Nortje, Mulder

Problem Cases

Reeza Hendricks

Was tried as opening partner for De Kock twice and to my mind just was not good enough.   For the record he performed as follows:-

Balls faced    -    45

Runs              -   30

Strike Rate    -    66,67

RPO              -     4

Fielding        -     Questionable

So the first two ODI's indicated deficiencies in Hendricks  insofar as an opening partner for De Kock is concerned.   Against a  stronger bowling attack  than Sri Lanka this guy is going to fail badly.

Alternatives

The potential alternatives are Markram and Amla - both of whom are not in the squad for the first three ODI's against Sri-Lanka.   An indication of the selectors will be if the two are included in the squad for the remaining two ODI's.

There seems to be growing question marks in the media about Amla's batting and fielding.  If he is not included in the squad for the final two ODI's it will be a clear indication he is not being considered for the WC squad.   

Markram has been phenominal playng Momentum Cup games or the Titans.   He made 306 rims from 262 balls at a strike rate of  115,2 and an rpo of just about 7.  The selectors would be mad not to include him in the squad for the final 2 ODI's  - he is an extremely good fielder as well.

The problem is that if both Amla and Hendricks is out - there is going to be a batsmen problem and the question is who should be the 5th, 6th and 7th batsmen to be included in the squad.  The answer is likely to center around other players like Hamza and the Malan brothers.   All three did relatively well in the Momentum Cup matches,

There may be some pressure on De Villiers to return for the WC only and play for the Proteas, especially since we really have some batting problems.   De Villiers is at present playing in the Oakistan Super League series and will be playing for Bengalore in the IPL.   The other layer whose Kolpak status is not clear is Rilee Rossouw.   I think as I stands he is opting out of his present Kolpak contract, but when it becomes operative is not clear.  He is at present playing in the Pakistan Super league series as well.   If both could be persuaded to play for the Proteas in the WC it will solve a major batting problem for the Proteas..       

Dale Steyn is in the present squad - but he did not play in the first 2 ODI's.   He is likely to play in the remaining 3 ODI's.

As to the all=rounders I think Mulder has the inside track (he is an excellent fielder as well) - but Morris and Duminy may be dark horses for the two all-rounder positions.  We will have to see whether these two are included  in th squad for the remaining two ODI's.  

Mar 07, 2019, 02:40

After the first 2 ODI's against Sri Lanka the question as to who should be in the WC squad  and who not is becoming clearer,   Based on the relevant performances the situation is as follows:-

Certainties for selection

Batting

De Kock, Du Plessis, Van der Dussen, Miller

Bowling

Rabada, Ngidi, Nortje, Tahir.

All-Rounders

Not sure

Fielding

Nortje, Mulder

Problem Cases

Reeza Hendricks

Was tried as opening partner for De Kock twice and to my mind just was not good enough.   For the record he performed as follows:-

Balls faced    -    45

Runs              -   30

Strike Rate    -    66,67

RPO              -     4

Fielding        -     Questionable

So the first two ODI's indicated deficiencies in Hendricks  insofar as an opening partner for De Kock is concerned.   Against a  stronger bowling attack  than Sri Lanka this guy is going to fail badly.

Alternatives

The potential alternatives are Markram and Amla - both of whom are not in the squad for the first three ODI's against Sri-Lanka.   An indication of the selectors will be if the two are included in the squad for the remaining two ODI's.

There seems to be growing question marks in the media about Amla's batting and fielding.  If he is not included in the squad for the final two ODI's it will be a clear indication he is not being considered for the WC squad.   

Markram has been phenominal playng Momentum Cup games or the Titans.   He made 306 rims from 262 balls at a strike rate of  115,2 and an rpo of just about 7.  The selectors would be mad not to include him in the squad for the final 2 ODI's  - he is an extremely good fielder as well.

The problem is that if both Amla and Hendricks is out - there is going to be a batsmen problem and the question is who should be the 5th, 6th and 7th batsmen to be included in the squad.  The answer is likely to center around other players like Hamza and the Malan brothers.   All three did relatively well in the Momentum Cup matches,

There may be some pressure on De Villiers to return for the WC only and play for the Proteas, especially since we really have some batting problems.   De Villiers is at present playing in the Oakistan Super League series and will be playing for Bengalore in the IPL.   The other layer whose Kolpak status is not clear is Rilee Rossouw.   I think as I stands he is opting out of his present Kolpak contract, but when it becomes operative is not clear.  He is at present playing in the Pakistan Super league series as well.   If both could be persuaded to play for the Proteas in the WC it will solve a major batting problem for the Proteas..       

Dale Steyn is in the present squad - but he did not play in the first 2 ODI's.   He is likely to play in the remaining 3 ODI's.

As to the all=rounders I think Mulder has the inside track (he is an excellent fielder as well) - but Morris and Duminy may be dark horses for the two all-rounder positions.  We will have to see whether these two are included  in th squad for the remaining two ODI's.  

You need to Log in to reply.