How weak is Australian ODI Cricket?

Forum » Cricket » How weak is Australian ODI Cricket?

Mar 13, 2020, 19:42

After being humiliated by the Proteas losing three nil by wide margins our all-knowing member Mozart said the Aussies  have is a weak team - thus implying that the Proteas victories was not of any value.

However, back in Australia the Aussies played a match against the third ranked team in the world - New Zealand - and they beat them easily.   Before the English beat SA in their ODI series they lost against New Zealand badly,

So what can one deduce from the above?   Point one is the Proteas should not have lost the ODI series against England,  The latter team played two warm up matches against a SA Invitation side and won one and lost one.   That prove that the Proteas team was a total hash when it came to squad selection and the fact is they lost the series because of poor selection.

Mar 13, 2020, 22:16

Mike you have been around long enough :D to know result comparisons mean very little. As hulle se in Afrikaans, more is nog 'n ander dag.

Japan beat SA in rugby in 2015 and Sunwolves smashed Reds in their first game this season,

Our cricket has obviously upped their game, Saffas are always good when the confidence is up but then so do most sporting teams.

Mar 14, 2020, 03:07

That prove that the Proteas team was a total hash when it came to squad selection and the fact is they lost the series because of poor selection.

100%

Mar 14, 2020, 20:07

Interesting...so what happened in the T20 against Australia...with the right team?

Mar 15, 2020, 07:11

No Mozart

Who actually played in the T20  comp against the Aussies?  Far from the right team. 

The teams for the first T20I  and ODI games were as follows:-

T20I                           ODI

De Kock                                 De Kcck

Van der Dussen                      Malan

Du Plessis                              Bavuma

Smuts                                     Verreinne    

Van Biljon                              Klaasen

Miller                                     Miller

Phehlukwayo                         Phehlukwayo

Steyn                                      Maharaj

Rabada                                   Nortje

Ngidi                                      Ngidi

Shamsi                                   Shamsi               

There was not any major changes in the teams in the respective  teams - in the ODI's  Smuts was broad in because of the injury to Bavuma and In the T20I Steyn was replaced by Hendricks,

In the T20I series Du Plessis was the captain - in the ODI's it was De Kock.   The Du Plessis's captaincy left much to be desired when it came to field placings and bowling changes,  Even though both failed in batting fact is that the De Cock field placings and bowling changes wer better than those of Du Plessis,  

Comprehende?                                             

You need to Log in to reply.