India won Brisbane test - what will the Aussies do next

Forum » Cricket » India won Brisbane test - what will the Aussies do next

Jan 19, 2021, 10:25

The win by India in Brisbane and consequently the series may effect selection of the Aussie squad to tour SA/  Who is going to be ion and who out?

The loss by the Aussies could also effect the Aussies retention in the IPL and tomorrow the IPL retentions are to be announced.   There is already rumors in the media that Smith will not be retained by Rajasthan Royals and the Cummins will also be released by Colcatta.    They may remain ion the IPL through the player auction - but their income will be reduced drastically,    

Other Aussie players also face release  by the various franchises because of substandard performances in the 2020 IPL series - amongst them Maxwell.           

Jan 19, 2021, 11:55

Who the fuck gives a shit about IPL

Not bad by India considering 8 of their first choice players were missing I’m told

Jan 19, 2021, 12:04

Steve Smith is such a good bat but he does have some poor technique that he doesn't seem to care too much about rectifying.

Graeme Smith did that and became sitting duck as he got older and his reflexes couldn't glean over cracks any longer.

Jan 19, 2021, 13:10

Dave

The  huge money they earn makes all the players very keen on playing in the IPL.   Do you realize that the competition last 10 weeks and in those ten weeks they get paid plenty,   

For instance De Kock has been playing in the IPL  for 7 years thus far and he has earned over R80 million rand in that period,   That makes it over $5 million.    And beside that his salary with SAC accounts to over $400 000  per annum  - so his earnings go straight into investments  managed by AB - who himself has accumulated a fortune of over $21 000 000 playing IPL and cricket series of that nature all over the world.  

So you may not be interested - but the players worldwide are.   There interest mainly remained in MONEY - nothing else.    If Smith loses that honeypot he will lose circa  S8 million Australia dollars in a single year.

Jan 19, 2021, 13:26

Plum

If a player has technique problems he will never rectify it when he goes over 30 years of age when reflexes becomes slower with aging.   In the last IPL he became Nortje's   bunny in the IPL.    Extreme pace like Nortje's becomes a serious problem for any player with reflex problems.

Smiths average in the 14 IPL matches averaged 25,8 runs per game and included only 3 fifties,   That  is   just not good enough for a key batsmen.  He made 328 runs in the series in which the highest runscorer made 680 runs and Quinton made 506 for Mumbai Indians.   The latter was the 5th highest run scorer  in the series - Smith the 28th.   

The latter's captaincy was poor as well,   He had  for instance David Miller - through the years a  high-scoring batsman in the IPL - sitting in the stand.  He would not pick him to play despite poor batting by the players he picked and  that made for bad judgement on his part.    Part of the problem  apparently is he hates SA cricketers - especially after the sandpaper drama.

Jan 19, 2021, 18:02

The money is good but the cricket is crap - it’s no measure of anything on a cricketing front

Jan 19, 2021, 20:46

Agree with Dave on the Indian series win to pull it off against Oz with mostly your second string players in the tests is no mean feat.

I think the Aussies have to find a replacement skipper for starters as all his chirping does not help.

Jan 19, 2021, 21:37

Shubman Gill.

What a player. He’ll average over 50 for his entire career.

And he’s only 21.

Jan 19, 2021, 21:37

... as for Pritvi Shaw. He’ll never fulfill his promise. His mind isn’t right.

Jan 20, 2021, 00:24

I saw Privi playing for Delhi in the IPL many times and he was good in one match followed by 11 failures after which he was dropped from the team.  He will never be a test player and the 1st test against the Aussies proved it.  Agree with you - a talent that never materialized in  cricket on any level,    

Like Gill though and he really is very good with mega promise  for the future.        .    

Jan 20, 2021, 00:32

AJH

Whos should be the skipper>   Steve Smith - bloody unlikely since the next series is against SA  played ion SA,   

Jan 20, 2021, 22:21

Agreed, Chip

Some of those shots somewhere between a cover drive and a cut...coming out as an almost front foot punch into the off! And on the up as well. Damn!

Last time a batter got my attention like that was when KP started playing pull shots off the front foot against OZ in the 2005 Ashes.

Everyone on our cricket Whatsapp group was gushing. 

I have to agree, guy looks next level.

Good on India. And I wish Steve Smith all the misfortune a cheat deserves. 

Jan 21, 2021, 04:24

"Steve Smith is such a good bat but he does have some poor technique that he doesn't seem to care too much about rectifying."

Care to drill down to "some poor technique"? I'm curious.

Jan 21, 2021, 06:57

Nice debate on this one,    Smith at 33 is well on his way to become a victim of the dreaded 6/1 factor -  one good batting display out of 7 innings batted.    He is not alone in that - Du Plessis excels in it.      

Jan 21, 2021, 07:09

Lol Tante

Getting squared up and playing straight bat shots far away from the body, often at the same time. 

Nothing to drill down to, it's pretty obvious.

Jan 23, 2021, 23:00

Been watching more of Gill. 

Guy is seriously good.

Looks like revivals Sachin for junior awards and records.

I think he'd already walk into any other international side, in any of the three formats.

I hope they don't make him captain. 

You need to Log in to reply.