Is Cricket SA collapsing?

Forum » Cricket » Is Cricket SA collapsing?

Dec 05, 2019, 08:44

There has been repeated media reports on this issue in SA.   The latest news is that two Board members have resigned this week and that the sponsors are questioning issues pertaining to Cricket SA.   The public is hopping mad and so is the media.

This is exactly why cricket in SA is floundering - managing of the game by amateurs is not the way to go.   In the meantime the Director of Rugby has been suspended and a temporary Director appointed - the same guy who coached the Proteas on their recent India trip and they failed miserably.

They apparently tried to get Graeme Smith as Director - but he seems to be hesitating,  He apparently don't want to be associated with a sinking ship like CSA is at present,   Is he the right guy for the job or is he another John Smit when he became the CEO of the Sharks?

I think CSA needs a review from top to bottom.   A new Crisis Board of seasoned test cricket needs to be appointed immediately and that the whole governance system needs to be reviewed to allow for development of players to tests standard.

In other words they needs a Erasmus replica to take over cricket management in SA.  My own idea would be to appoint AB as CEO and get Kirsten involved as Director of Cricket - together with a new Head coach with test experience.   Unless this is done asap Cricket as a game is doomed in SA.       

Dec 05, 2019, 09:38

They should just pack everything up, close shop and call it a day.

They are nothing but an embarrassment ... much like their national soccer team ... and sadly we'll see the same kind of fate fall on the Goats.

Dec 05, 2019, 23:00

Die vrot oppie vis, begin op sy koppie.

Dec 06, 2019, 09:03

The SA cricket side is paying the price for turning away from God. They were sucessful when Christians like Peter Pollock was convenor of selectors and Shaun his son was captain. It was in those days a Christian team that prayed to the Lord before and after games and that is why they were winners. Now it is a team of non-believers, muslims and atheists which is why they are now a team of loosers.

Dec 06, 2019, 11:08

LMAO ….. Dominee...… I see what we in for with you

These guys are an embarrassment to SA at the moment

Accusations of gross misuse of CSA funds, no clear direction on where the players or team are going.... randomly calling for, then cancelling media events...…

In short, a complete circus 

Dec 06, 2019, 12:23

Standard Bank just pulled out as the main sponsors.

South Africa's men's team will lose their major sponsor, Standard Bank, who have opted not to renew their deal when it expires on April 30, 2020. This ends an association with cricket that dates back to 1998. Standard Bank sponsored South African cricket between 1998 and 2011, when it ended its sports associations with both cricket and football. The company then returned to cricket in 2016 and signed a four-year deal with Cricket South Africa (CSA) which is understood to be to the tune of R400 million (approx. US$ 27.3 million). Currently, they are only the title sponsor for the men's team and their withdrawal is a direct result of administrative and governance problems at CSA which Standard Bank believes is tarnishing its reputation.

"Standard Bank is committed to upholding the highest levels of leadership, integrity and governance. In light of recent developments at CSA, which are a culmination of long-standing problems which have damaged Standard Bank's reputation, it has decided not to renew its partnership with CSA," Thulani Sibeko, Standard Bank Group Chief Marketing and Communications Officer said in a statement released on Friday morning.

On Monday, Standard Bank had demanded a meeting with CSA to discuss what it called "governance and conduct media reports which have brought the game into disrepute"

Dec 07, 2019, 16:55

The demands for resignation of the whole Board and replacement by a Crisis Management Board is increasing by the day,   Obviously they will refuse to resign and the question is what will happen next 

No money - no looting possible - so the crooks will rather go than to watch over a rotting corpse.   I think SACA must get their act together and tell their members to refuse to play against England in the upcoming tour and organize that the public stay away from matches,  .  

Supersport can also play a  decisive role by opting out of broadcasting the tests as well unless the Board as a whole resigns and a real Crisis Management Board is installed to replace the useless lot of looters and cheaters,    .              .

Dec 08, 2019, 13:37

The Board has not resigned - but blamed the previous and now suspended  CEO for all the troubles CSA experienced and the refuse to resign.

They have appointed Jacques Faul as acting CEO and is about to appoint Graeme Smith as Director of Cricket.   I am afraid that may also be a problem - since Smith does not have the temperament expected from the job and may just be another bad appointment,

I d not think Standard Back will put up with that BS and their main sponsor is already out - but I believe would have suspended their decision if a new and responsible Board was established.   A crazy situation to be in I am afraid.         

Dec 09, 2019, 15:55

Th following from news24:-

Former Proteas spinner Pat Symcox says Jacques Faul and Graeme Smith may have bitten off more they can chew by accepting roles at Cricket South Africa (CSA).

"I think it actually a bit of a stupid decision by Jacques and Graeme to get involved with the current set-up," Symcox said in an interview with Netwerk24.

Symcox's comments come after the CSA top hierarchy underwent changes over the weekend, with Titans boss Faul named acting CEO in place of the suspended Thabang Moroe.

Former Proteas wicketkeeper and ICC CEO David Richardson is likely to assist Faul in the role, with CSA also confirming that Smith, a former Proteas captain, was set to be named director of cricket.

But Symcox is wary of being over-optimistic about the proposed changes.

"It's a strategy from the executive council to try give itself more credibility. In this scenario it's like trying to move the deck chairs on the Titanic.

"Will Jacques Faul, Dave Richardson and Graeme Smith have the authority to make their own decisions? I definitely don't think so, because I believe they will have the board still calling the shots.

"Therefore, I think it's very stupid from Faul and Smith to accept the roles. All that they're doing now is giving more credibility to a process that is riddled with useless people (the CSA board). The board should be able to add value in the process, but those clowns can't even run the cafe on the corner," Symcox stressed.

At a press conference in Johannesburg over the weekend, CSA president Chris Nenzani confirmed that the entire board would remain and that Moroe was held accountable for the governance crisis.

"The board is not complicit in terms of decision-making. The board took decisions and those decisions had to be implemented by the CEO and his management," Nenzani said.

However Symcox, who played 20 Tests and 80 one-day internationals in the 1990s, believes the board should also be held accountable for the CSA woes.

"They have the audacity to go on as if nothing happened and that they are innocent in the whole process. It's a sick situation."In recent times, Symcox has expressed strong views on the governance of cricket in South Africa.

Earlier this year, in the aftermath of Proteas' 2019 Cricket World Cup disaster, he told Sport24 that radical change was needed at top level management "

Dec 09, 2019, 18:31

CM SA cricket is not collapsing it has collapsed.

The proof will be evident in the England series which starts later this month.

When sponsors start pulling back it is a clear sign that they do not wish to blow the share holders cash on a wasted cause.

The national side does have a few great players available but for reasons we all know they will never get the opportunity to play for their country and will sadly depart to a more lucrative career overseas.

Such are the times unfortunately.

Dec 09, 2019, 21:16

Graeme Smith is a leader of men and a scholar of the game...we need him in the mix, but I'm not sure Director of Cricket is the right spot for him.

Dec 10, 2019, 02:19

Pat Symcox had it right from the get-go......"Therefore, I think it's very stupid from Faul and Smith to accept the roles. All that they're doing now is giving more credibility to a process that is riddled with useless people (the CSA board). The board should be able to add value in the process, but those clowns can't even run the cafe on the corner," Symcox stressed.

CSA decided to make He-Bangs Moron the fall guy to save their own skins, but if by some miracle Smith and Faul turn things around, guess who is going to claim the credit!? In an earlier post which I believe is still on the board I suggested that CSA should be run by people who understood and knew cricket not by clowns who trade on the colour of their skins.

AJH

"The national side does have a few great players available but for reasons we all know they will never get the opportunity to play for their country and will sadly depart to a more lucrative career overseas."

I'm curious, who are these players? Please name them.....thanks in anticipation.

Dec 10, 2019, 19:28

Walting, Hicks, Conway, Rippon, Munro, Ferns, Barnes, Wagner, Phillips, Malan and Labuschagne. (all in NZ and Oz)

Others that come to mind: Oliver, Rossouw, Abbott, Malan (all in UK).

Yes one or two have represented SA on an on call basis and have since moved overseas.

I am sure that their are others still in SA sitting and weighing their options.

None I believe will have met your requirements for selection though.

Wisden.

Dec 10, 2019, 20:16

I'll ask again and let me remind you to answer it in the context of your above statement......

"The national side does have a few great players available but for reasons we all know they will never get the opportunity to play for their country and will sadly depart to a more lucrative career overseas."

The floor is yours, who are the great players who are available and will sadly depart?

Name them.

Dec 10, 2019, 20:48

This fck-up is about more than only the players...the rot is deep...we are becoming the Windies...or even poorer still.

Dec 10, 2019, 21:25

Listen if u want to have a go have a go. 

Will, have or plan to play overseas is the issue because the SACB has decreed that at least six players of color must take to the field, thus eliminating any chance of gaining selection.

These players listed are either international players at present or knocking on the door to play for the country they are now residing in.

Quite a few of them could make the SA team on merit if they stayed in SA and only if they were players of color.

Funny how all the folks who are not white always refer to people of color and do not consider white a color.

Without "WHITE" their is no color.........only Black Racists.

Trust there are no day/night games on the England/SA schedule because with Escom all will be BLACK.

Wisden.

Dec 11, 2019, 09:57

"Listen if u want to have a go have a go. "

What's that supposed to mean, Farter? Bwhahahahahaha

Look, you've made a dumb statement....uppercut yourself and admit it......step around your self importance, then look yourself in the mirror and say ...... I've made a right royal Dik out of myself.

And oh Herr Self Importance......it's ok, I know you like the sound of your own voice but just be careful, your blather more often than not will embarrass you. 

Best you stick with what you know and it's neither cricket or rugby.

Vasbyt boetie.

Dec 11, 2019, 18:22

HaHa....you opinion counts for shit just as it did in SA.

Keep living the good life provided to you by us white folks.

Coconut.

Dec 11, 2019, 23:43

Fartur Arthur, Is that the best you can do..... boring man.... cheap predictable redneck 50's stuff. It doesn't take much to uncork you......shame, pray tell me,where did it all go sour for you, Trailer Trash? 

Back in the day you were mos bakgat huh? Soon as you left South Africa no one was impressed with your white skin, white skin was everywhere just like the common cold.....shame Fartur, I feel your pain, suddenly you were a nobody. What a let down. You must have cursed Canada's  normal society.

And oh, lest I forget, please be so kind as to name those GREAT players who are in the national side but who won't get a run even though they've had a run. Not sure how anyone is to make sense of that but they're your words not mine.......funny stuff.

Take your time, white Scum.

You need to Log in to reply.