Labuschagne

Forum » Cricket » Labuschagne

Aug 21, 2019, 04:41

Laa-boo-shay. When first hearing the commentator I thought wtf, who's dat, before realizing that's easier than the Oz fan attempting the SA pronunciation, Lubbis-kag-nee.

Aug 21, 2019, 04:45

Ja, I've had a good laugh at that one.........Lubbeshane, golly gosh  hahahahaha

Aug 21, 2019, 05:30

Champagne, Labuschagne what's the difference? Marnus that's what!

Aug 21, 2019, 08:02

Not really all that peculiar.   The original Labuschagne name is from  France where the surname has died out.   All the descendants bearing that name - even those who have settled in other countries - descended from one person - Pierre Labuschagne - a Huguenot who managed to escape from France and whose brother was caught trying to escape and sentenced to be a galley slave.  The family name survived in SA through Pierre Labuschagne who eventually settled on a farm in what is today Paarl.

The original pronouncement of the name in French was "Labuschane"  which is still used by some descendants of Pierre Labuschagne as the way the surname is to be  pronounced.            

Aug 21, 2019, 09:13

Thanks ouMaaik ...... so Marnus has gone back to the past ...... may he have a stellar career.

Aug 21, 2019, 11:57

There are many "Afrikaans" surnames that sounds very different from the original French.

Du Toit, for instance, sounds something like Du Twa.

Aug 21, 2019, 12:29

Ceradyne

Some change in spelling of surnames also occurred  eg in the case of Rossouw and Pienaar.   Rossouw used to be spelt Rousseau by the French and Pienaar was Pinard. Some letters are not pronounce by the French when they appear at the end of words and names and the Dutch and other countries where Huguenots fled to played a role in changing the spelling of the surnames.  

Some like De Villiers is spelled the same and pronounced differently - in France De Villiers is pronounced "De Viljee".  The family in France is known through the previous Commander of the French army and his brother who was I believe a EU Parliament member - have not checked whether he still is. .  

Aug 24, 2019, 10:55

This guy is saving the bacon of the Aussies playing in the Ashes.  Three FIFTIES in his last three innings are getting the Aussies out of real SHIT.    

Aug 24, 2019, 10:55

This guy is saving the bacon of the Aussies playing in the Ashes.  Three FIFTIES in his last three innings are getting the Aussies out of real SHIT.    

Aug 24, 2019, 13:02

Indeed Mike...and I see Jofra is hunting for headshots again...I really hope Aussie can return the favour. 

You need to Log in to reply.