Marques Ackerman

Forum » Cricket » Marques Ackerman

Jan 14, 2020, 23:09

What’s the rap on this 23 year old bat. I hear he is another to watch.

Has a first class average of 47 which is handy

Jan 15, 2020, 03:18

Dave

I heard of the guy as well,   There are a bigger number of potential newbies coming through then eve before in the history of the game - but the opportunities for accommodating such players are decreasing,   

You and I for instance pleaded  for bringing in promising younger players - SAC decides on looking at 29 and 30 year old's who may have two or three cricketing years left before they go into decline. 

I can come up with a team of under 25's that will beat the present team by huge margins in all facets of the game.   Look at the following:-

1   Janneman Malan

2   Markram/Breetzke

3    Van Tonder

4    Verreyne      

5    Ackerman

6   De Kock   *

7   Phehlukwayo

8   Rabada     *

9   Sipamla

10  Coetzee

11  Nortje      *

These three from the present team are included.  I will make De Kock the captain of that team,   

Jan 15, 2020, 12:54

Ngidi ahead of Sipamla all day long

Hamza is another omission

Jan 15, 2020, 13:35

I am, not sure about Ngidi,   He ahs been out with injuries for a long time and when he did play he was not really showing much.   However, I grant you that one - but with a question mark. 

I will play Van Tonder ahead of Hamza anytime.      

Jan 15, 2020, 13:56

Ngidi is definitely the real deal he proved that straight away at test level

His fitness is a concern

No we need to invest in Hamza, it’s hard for him to make his way at 3 at the start of his career.

Ideally he should start at 6 and work his way to 3

Jan 15, 2020, 14:43

Without making this a race issue...

In line with what Saffex said... Ngidi's health is a concern.

Though he ended up getting a good education at a top school, his younger years were very different.

My concern is that he never got the best nutrition during his developmental years. Bones may not be as strong as they should be. Organs may not have received the right nutrition etc...

I hope I am wrong, but my concern does have legs.

Regarding Ackerman, I watched him play at school. I live near St Stithians.

There are a few guys from his year that are making strides...

Grant Roelofsen, Josh Richards and Ryan Rickleton are the three that come to mind. All 4 are aged around 22 / 23 and are all averaging in the upper 40s. Richards average is over 50.

Problem is, they're not black.

Rynard vam Tonder is my dark horse here. An Afrikaans kid, es SA U19 captain and scores plenty runs.

Problem is... he's not black!

I'd reply on having 3 black bowlers in Ngidi, Sipamla and Rabada, an Indian Spinner and a mentally handicapped wicketkeeper batsman to bring up the Protea BEE rating.

Jan 15, 2020, 15:55

After the Under 19 WC competition - where Van Tomnder was the SA captain - a panel of experts selected a World Under 19 team and made him the captain of that team as well,   

You may be right about Ngidi - there was a fast bowler about a decade ago and was then found to have brittle bone problems.   Cannot recall his name = but it was all over the media at the time,.

There was a Black WK in the team captained by Van Tinder that impressed me as well,  However, the Under 19 WC is held in SA this year and we can watch our for promising young batsman  as well.   It starts on Friday and will be on Supersport I believe.      

Jan 15, 2020, 16:16

clevemike, you are thinking of Mfuneko Ngam and Monde Zondeki.

Our U19 team is crap crap crap this year.

We lost to Zim, NZ, and smashed by india in all of the pre tournament friendlies.

Only 2 worth looking out for are Bird and Coetzee.

Unless Saffex disagrees of course.

Jan 15, 2020, 16:43

Thanks - Ngam was the actual one I referred  to - but Zondeki had problems as well,  

Lets hope for the best and see what happens.   Maybe the whole selection proves needs to be reviewed and the selection committee fired.     

Jan 15, 2020, 20:06

Poor Ngidi could sadly be suffering the same fate as Ngam. Made worse by the fact that he is naturally a big stocky lad which is going to add to his problems.

Lack of nutrition in terms of bone development, big lad, stress on body from bowling all mounts up against him.

Let’s hope it does not come to this and he has a long career as he looks the real deal

Chip clearly has identified more young bats so we certainly seem to have a handful worth investing in.

One wonders why we don’t see them in the SA A side, it’s such short sighted bullshit

If it’s about bloody skin colour then we can rely on our merit bowlers like Rabada, Ngidi, Simpala and Maharaj to meet the political crap. Andile is our best all rounder prospect and Hamza might make it as a bat.

That’s 6 players of colour who are merit selections

Jan 16, 2020, 03:53

The answer remains selection of sportsmen should be based on merit only and not on a racial basis,   End of story,   You cannot for instance leave out bowlers like Nortje or even Coetzee because they are White and only Blacks should be selected a bowlers,

Jan 16, 2020, 14:57

Unfortunately Mike that policy does not apply in SA

You need to Log in to reply.