Momentum Cup update - Pool B starts playing tomorrow

Forum » Cricket » Momentum Cup update - Pool B starts playing tomorrow

Jan 21, 2021, 07:27

Let me explain further,    This phase involves two aspects namely - 

*   4 internal games with each team playing the other two teams in the Pool - the three teams in Pool B being the Cobras, Warriors and Highveld Lions' and

*   one game between each of the A and b pools teams,

The main games are all played in Potchefstroom - but some cross pool matches are elsewhere,  Rain has badlky disrupted the Pool A matches in Potchefstroom (only 2 of the 6 games took place) - bit preseent whether forecasts are better and it looks like the games will take place as the field had dried out and the games will not be cancelled as happened in the A-Pool matches.   

So lets update the previous  comments from here onwards:-

M Ackerman 

The bowling attack of the Knights in the main consist of spin bowling and Ackeraman  struggled badly facing the Knights spinners - especially Snyman - and as out for 1 run facing 13 balls,  

So far 19 runs in two games

Roelofsen 

This guy is phenomenal - he scored 92 runs at 5,7 rpo,;

So far  has 157 runs in two innings batted at an average of 78,5.

Andile 

Like yesterday Andile struggled in the batting initially,   He had 6 runs from 11 balls when he hits the ball high up into the sky and when it came down the bowler missed a simple catch. In this process he made two runs    He did hit the next ball bowled by the same bowler for 6 - but thereafter he made only 1 run from 3 balls and was out with his score at 15 - rather a substandard show.

Andile so far took no wickets and was extremely expensive in his bowling today.   Yesterday they gave him 6,3 overs to bowl  - today it was only 6 overs since he was so poor they would not give him anymore - in the 6 overs he gave away 44 runs  

So far he has scored 67 runs in two games and took no wickets in the 12,3 overs he bowled 

De Swardt

He made 36 runs this innings and looked good in batting - was given out with a ball that hit his pads outside of the leg stump and would have missed the stumps - bad umpire decision.   Took two more wickets and ran out Behardien - as well as making two catches,  

So far he scored 46 runs and took 5 wickets. 

Miller

Unlike the game yesterday when he was out for a duck - he made 57 runs today,   Showed ability against the mostly spin attack of the Knights,

So far scored 57 runs in two games played  

Gouss  -  to be updated

Gous was the only top class bat playing for the  Knights in their game against the Dolphins  = he m\ade 56 runs and was a fluent bats man.

D Rickelton

Rickelton's  fluent and very good 109 from a 100 balls proof that he is class act  and I am delighted that he did well in the Momentum Cup match betweeen the Highveld Lions and the desperately poor Cobras.   I think he deserve inclusion in the T20 squad, 

Janneman Malan

He was the only batsman of the  Cobras that made a score of note,   He made 67 runs at a snail pace with a strike rate of 71 - which is plainly not good enough. 

Baartman is in the national test squad,    I have not seen him bowling before - but if it is  anything like it was in the two Momentum games he played in thus far, his selection for the tour to Pakistan is farcical.  

Proteas T20I selection 

Andile, Baartman  and Snyman from the A Pool were selected to play against Pakistan and Rickelton and Janneman Malan from the B pool teams as well.    The arrangements are that the Pakistani squad players will keep on playing in the Cup matches.

Jan 22, 2021, 13:04

The Cobras - Lions game is on and some comments is needed.   

Janneman Malan 

He was the only batsman of the  Cobras that made a score of note,   He made 67 runs at a snail pace with a strike rate of 71 - which is plainly not good enough. 

Hamza

Was disappointing  in that he made too few runs at a strike rate of 71 as well,   The guy is a lonmger version player and not really good enough in the shorter versions of the game

I was not impressed with the bowling of Bjorn Fortuin  - he is a really sub-standard spin bowler - but did quite well in fielding at point,

The Cobras will get nowhere  in the competition with that kind of performance - same as happened last year in the Momentum Cup competition.       

Jan 22, 2021, 15:18

Two of the T20I squad players  now,

Reeza Hendricks as  expected was super shit,  He made 3 runs facing 8 balls,

Nandre Burger bowled some very good balls earlier iin the game - but became a Xmas bowler soon,    Guess he ahs some potential - but that is not to be gained playing  international croclet.

Bjorn Fontuin  is a spin bowler with nothing to write home about,   

Jan 24, 2021, 06:02

There are three games scheduled for today - 

*     The Warriors vs the Lions  in Potchefstroom;

*     The  Cobras vs the Knights in Cape Town; and 

*      The Dolphins vs the Titans  In Durban.

However only one of  the three is scheduled for broadcast on TV - the one in Potchefstroom - so I will have to get the reports on the other two matches  from the media,       

However only one of  the three is scheduled for broadcast on TV - the one in Potchefstroom - so I will have to get the reports on the other two matches  from the media,       

You need to Log in to reply.