Moz....

Forum » Cricket » Moz....

Mar 07, 2019, 10:04

don't mind me, I'm a bit of a sentimentalist, I love turning back the clock and listening to stories about the oldies.

Did you see Barry Richards, Graeme Pollock, Colin Bland, Eddie Barlow and Proccie play?

Mar 07, 2019, 10:45

Denny

Sorry I am answering here.

Yes I did - can remember the test against the Aussies at the Wanderers when Eddie Barlow was bowling and the Aussie captain missed 3 balls totally and Barlow took off his glasses and went to him offering it to him.  He clean-bowled the guy next ball - classic.

I saw a variety of matches in which the above played on both test and provincial level.   Always top class.   

Can you remember the cricket commentary on radio of Charles Fortune? 

Mar 07, 2019, 11:11

Oh alright......your name change is noted.

I didn't see those immortals but we won't go there....still, I'd give my eye teeth to have seen them.

Charles Fortune.....yes I remember him, smooth, eloquent....a story teller. There was always a butterfly or a bee intermingled with his commentary.

And today we stuck with Nntini....

Mar 07, 2019, 11:39

Denny

Fortune -  "It reminds me of that game in 1938 etc'   He would carry on with the story and then came back to the game he was commentating about shouting  "He's out - he's out" .   Really funny to listen to him.   

Ntini is not a commentators backside,   I like Tony Greig and even and some of the West Indies commentators - but the rest are few and far between.  

Mar 07, 2019, 12:13

Charles Fortune on AM radio was a legend but of the modern day commentators I bow to the legend of commentators.....Richie Benaud.

Firstly the man's intelligence, his knowledge and understanding of the game and his one liners..... and then that dry sense of humour. Yet with all that and more he remained a humble man.

Respect!

Mar 07, 2019, 14:24

Agreed totally with you about Benaud - he knew the game and knew what he was talking about, What was funny for me was that Greig shortly after re-admission in 1992 was tormenting the other Aussie commentators when commentating on games involving SA.:D:D:D  

Mar 07, 2019, 23:17

Yep I saw them all Denny....the most memorable was the first time I saw Graham Pollock bat, master of the cover drive.

Watching Proctor bowl was another highlight....it looked wrong, but very athletic.

Mar 08, 2019, 03:44

Lucky man.

I believe Graeme was a stroke player, an accumulator of runs using plenty of wrist with little if not any use of his feet?

Richards was more of an aggressive player who had plenty of power......more like a Viv Richards style of player?

Colin Bland had the reputation of knocking over the stumps from the outfield and was a solid middle order player. I forgot to mention Denis Lindsay, besides being a fine keeper he was also a reliable middle order batsman.

Proccie I believe had absolute belief in himself and was pretty effective with either bat or ball?

All of them had wonderful technique.

Mar 08, 2019, 06:52

Denny

You are indeed correct. about the issue of technique.   Greig said on an interview  that he had no chance to make the SA team at the time - that is why he left to play in England.

Unfortunately the issue of technique has in the past two decades taken a dip.  If you look at absence of technique in recent SA teams  to realize it,   Non-existent in the cases of Graeme Smith and  Elgar are just two of many examples.  They would make very good runs until found out by the bowlers and then start to misfire.  

However, despite everything else AB was the most exciting player I have ever seen  batting,        

Mar 08, 2019, 07:08

Richards was a kind of cricketing savant. I saw his first test innings at Newlands and I remember one particular shot where he stepped onto the front foot only to get a short ball outside the off stump ...so he turned itinto a square cut off the front foot! His test average for his 4 tests was 72.

I also saw Roy Mclean, Hugh Tayfield and the elegant Johnny Waite who had me playing only late cuts outside the off stump for a few weeks. .....Neil Harvey, your man Richie Benaud, Davidson, the chucker Mekiff and Slasher Mackay, ironically so named because he could block for hours.

Mar 08, 2019, 07:10

Richards was a kind of cricketing savant. I saw his first test innings at Newlands and I remember one particular shot where he stepped onto the front foot only to get a short ball outside the off stump ...so he turned itinto a square cut off the front foot! His test average for his 4 tests was 72.

I also saw Roy Mclean, Hugh Tayfield and the elegant Johnny Waite who had me playing only late cuts outside the off stump for a few weeks. .....Neil Harvey, your man Richie Benaud, Davidson, the chucker Mekiff and Slasher Mackay, ironically so named because he could block for hours.

Mar 08, 2019, 07:14

I met Eddie Barlow a few times through my mate Gavin Pfuhl who played wicket keeper for Western Province....now sadly no longer with us. Eddie did as much anybody to lift South African cricket.

Mar 10, 2019, 02:53

So what can you tell me about Eddie Barlow? I know he was an opener and a good one at that but what was he style like and who would you compare him with?

Mar 10, 2019, 04:01

Eddie was a totally confident guy, with bat, ball or in the field. Not the most elegant bat, he was best cutting and hooking. As a bowler he got a lot of swing and had the knack of getting a wicket when it was really needed.

Mar 10, 2019, 09:21

The batting changed drastically when the ODI's came in and even more so when the T20I's came to the fore,   Traditional batting tool a dive and what batsmen now do is regarded as outrageous by the old-timers who cherished batting styles of the past.   

None of the classical batsmen of the past will make the top 20 batsmen in the world today.

Nice to go down memory lane  - but is it realistic at present?    

Mar 10, 2019, 12:02

I had the privilege of taking a tour of Lord’s Cricket Ground in 2006. It included, among others, being allowed inside the Committee Room and the Long Room. The only place that we were not allowed in to was the home side change room.

There are numerous commissioned paintings all over Lord’s. Ian Botham’s painting hangs in the Bar Room.

The most prestigious place for a painting at Lord’s, though, is in the Long Room.

“The Long Room is a notable, historic room at Lord's cricket ground, in St John's Wood, London.

Described by Lawrence Booth as "the most evocative four walls in world cricket",[1] the Long Room is situated in the Pavilion.”

One of the paintings inside the Long Room is that of Barry Richards. Says it all. Really.

I still have a load of pictures taken on that day. Unfortunately you are not allowed to take pictures inside the Long Room and the Committee Room.

Mar 11, 2019, 20:01

Nice info Vlag.......Richards could have been AB or Tendulkar if the fates were kinder. Now he seems to be the most forgotten of our great players. He would have been devastating in the One Day format Mike.....he could play every shot.

Mar 12, 2019, 01:25

I was just making a point about changes in batting technique resulting from the ODI and T20I formats of the game.   I would rate AB is the player with the most outrageous shots in world cricket ever.   However, I think if Richards  and Pollock was exposed to the shorter format of the game they would have been successful.

The most highly rated test players in SA in the thirty years was Wessels and  Kallis - but both had  one problem - their strike rates in ODI's were too low.   Kallis for instance had a career strike rate of 71 which was too low to be really a top class ODI batsman.   However - he was a tremendous all rounder since his bowling was very good - so an automatic choice for the ODI team.   .  .      

Mar 13, 2019, 05:23

"The most highly rated test players in SA in the thirty years was Wessels and  Kallis..."

You are right about Kallis.....but Kepler....really??

Kepler Wessels

Test       ODI

41          34.36

G. Smith

41.95     37.98

H. Gibbs

41.95      36.13

AB de Villiers

50.68      53.50      

You need to Log in to reply.