Nortje a true fighter

Forum » Cricket » Nortje a true fighter

Jan 18, 2020, 23:57

We know he is a more than handy bowler with good pace but his two contributions with the bat in a short space of time show what true fight and determination is about.

He has limited skill with the bat but boy what a fighter

Jan 19, 2020, 01:38

I tell you what Saffex

Give me a team of 11 fighters and we will win more than we lose, even against the best.

We haven’t often had the most naturally talented cricket teams, barring the likes of Steyn, Gibbs, de Villiers and a few others...

But what we have always had is a team that fights.

This team just doesn’t look like it has the fight, except for Nortje, Elgar and Rabada.

Jan 19, 2020, 01:42

Our best fighters...

Smith

Kirsten

Elgar

Faf (let’s not forget what he has done in the past)

Prince

McMillan

Boucher

Symcox

F de Villiers

Nortje

Steyn

... definitely not the most balanced side. But it’s more often the batsmen that needed to do the fighting.

Jan 19, 2020, 10:40

Not arguing about the past.  The present indicates no fighters other than De Kock and Nortje.  The present team remains a disaster,   They lost totally any fighting spirit they might have had oi the past.  A follow on has been enforced and lets see whether the disaster following the first innings is inevitable.

Jan 19, 2020, 17:57

We need another batting all-rounder in the side to replace Pretorius or Maharaj.

Neither of them do enough with the ball to justify nothing contributions with the bat.

A Parnel/Klusner/Hall type character is what we need at 8.

Right now it's a very long tail  behind a poor performing top 4. 

Jan 19, 2020, 18:02

Die Ock is a fighter?

Jan 19, 2020, 20:27

A Parnel/Klusner/Hall type character is what we need at 8.

Ja Plum that would help...or maybe a Boucher and Symcox, but that's only a part of the problem, I think it's far deeper than that.

Jan 19, 2020, 21:58

De Kock is not the problem - Mozart.  He scored nearly a hundred more runs against the English  than any of the other batsmen.   He is a natural batsman with a tendency to attack and not fiddle around keeping balls out m while scoring minimal runs.   What makes you think Du Plessis os a fighter for instance for that matter Elgar as well.

Jan 19, 2020, 22:49

@clevermike...

de Kock? A fighter? LOLOL

He is many things... woderful things... but he isnt a fighter.

I dont think he knows how to spell "fighter".

@seb

Parnell? a Fighter? LOLOLOL.\

Hall yes and klusener yes... but Parnell? Maybe a street fighter on the flats.

Jan 20, 2020, 12:51

This article relates to fighters, ie Nortje.

Plum relates to Klusener and Parnel

I said Boucher and Symcox...record 9th wicket stand...ok, it was ODI not 4 day stuff but nevertheless fighters that fight fire with fire and the game on without folding up.

We are talking character and spine.

Please read comments fully in the right context.

BOUCHER

It was not a career marked by an abundance of natural talent and individual brilliance but rather punctuated by dogged determination and a razor-sharp will to succeed.

Wicketkeeping drills
The epitome of the adage "practice makes perfect", he would often be seen running through countless sets of wicketkeeping drills, long after his teammates had hit the showers.

But, the Proteas lost more than just a wicketkeeper when doctors ruled out any prospect of recovery in time for the first Test against England at the Oval next week.

His teammates, past and present, will attest to Boucher being the heartbeat of the team and when they needed a boost, or were faced with an impossible challenge, he would be the one to rally the troops to order.

"He was a man who brought out the best in people. Boucher led his teammates in a special way that was never overpowering or demeaning, but he was always in control," said former Proteas seamer, Makhaya Ntini, who starred alongside Boucher in the Proteas for 11 years.

In his short, stocky frame, Boucher packed a special type of competitiveness and aggression that lasted throughout his 15-year career behind the stumps for South Africa.

Right from the start of his Test career in 1997 against Pakistan in Sheikhupura, Boucher could always be counted on to provide the resolve to see the Proteas through any tight spot – either behind the stumps or with bat in hand.

Outstanding innings
There was a reason Boucher became the first – and possibly the only player for the foreseeable future – to bag 500 catches in Test cricket.

As a batsman, he lived for the big occasion – whether it was a quick 30 or 40 that was needed to secure a victory, or the vital session spent at the crease to hold out for a draw.

Perhaps his most outstanding innings came when he smashed an unbeaten 50 to see South Africa to the massive total of 438 for 9, for a penultimate one-day international victory against Australia at the Wanderers in March 2006.

Almost hardly worth mentioning is Boucher's South African record for the fastest ODI century and the world ninth-wicket Test match partnership record with Pat Symcox.

PAT SYMCOX and KLUSENER

https://youtu.be/_V7R0OFDpmk

Jan 20, 2020, 15:15

Andile is our only true all rounder prospect, at 23 he has time on his side

Much is said about Mulder but he is yet to step up

Jan 20, 2020, 16:06

Except nowhere did I say Parnell is a fighter. 

He's just a better bat and more skillful with the ball than our present bowling all-rounders.

His first class average is almost 30 yet he is easily capable of bowling first change. 

As I said, the current crop don't contribute enough with the ball to justify their tiny batting contributions.

Morris is another guy that could be added to the list of all-rounders I'd prefer over Maharaj and Pretorius.

At 200/6, good teams will crawl to 300+ with 20s and 30s from 7,8 &9. That's what we need now. At least until the younger guys in the top order find their feet.

Point being, stack the team's lower order with semi-competent batters or keep scoring 250.

Jan 20, 2020, 16:07

Agreed Saffex.

But in the modern game Andile has been pegged as a limited overs player. 

...which I think is utter nonsense.

Jan 20, 2020, 17:00

Based on stats...

Pretorius is streets ahead of Phelakwayo.

I disagree on him. He has talent but needs runs and wickets to back his talent

Jan 20, 2020, 17:01

I now await my obligatory ‘bullshit’ and ‘fuck off’ reply from you know who.

Jan 20, 2020, 18:00

Difference is Andile has a far better international record than Pretorious in ODI’s

Their bowling stats are similar but Andile has twice the batting average and more importantly has shown fight and won us a ODI or two with the bat

This kid has BMT and looks to have a good batting technique 

As a fifth bowler he can offer a bit, has a bit of a golden arm and looks like he has the makings of a handy bat

He is 23, Pretorious is 30 it’s a no brainer. Unfortunately bloody Graeme Smith has dissuaded him to sign a Kolpak deal means we have to select this useless player 

Jan 20, 2020, 20:16

We have way bigger problems than our "all-rounder" spot.

We've got a wicket keeper, 2 fast bowlers and an OK'ish spinner. One opener is on his last legs. None of the rest of the team are even close to settled. Absolutely disastrous planning by the "Idiots That Be". Ideology is more important than results...like the rest of the country. Crises management is at the order of the day.

Jan 20, 2020, 20:28

PLUM..the problem on this forum is not with the players, cricket, rugby, politics, bushfires etc is that we all spout our opinions (with no authenticated experience or actual physical or material experience and make opinions based on no substance but superficial knowledge and hearsay.

We just crawl back into senseless and futile rubbish and augument for the sake of egos...nobody really listens, nobody really cares and nobody here is anywhere an expert and we are in a sense pure plain pretending small men who sit and oogle about other individuals accolades, instead of creating a nice relationship and trust amongst each other. There should be rules...guns or knives as Paul Newman asked in Sundance and Butch Cassidy movie,,,knives...reply...rules...rules in a knife fight...answer ,,,just kick your challenger in the cajones as hard as you can.

Jan 21, 2020, 07:46

Lol, Seb

People don't like being disagreed with. It's maar human nature.

Must say, I don't mind. In fact, it's actually great when someone can make a counter argument. That's the only way a discussion is of value. 

You need to Log in to reply.