You need to LOG IN to reply.

ODI squad for first two ganes against Pakistan

Forum » Cricket » ODI squad for first two ganes against Pakistan

Jan 17, 2019, 09:09

The following from News 24:-

"Dale Steyn and Quinton de Kock have been rested from the Proteas squad for the first two ODIs against Pakistan.

That decision sees Aiden Markram return to the squad while there is also a call-up for the uncapped Duanne Olivier. 

Markram has struggled to get going in his ODI career and he averages just 25.43 from his 16 matches so far. 

Olivier, meanwhile, took 24 wickets in the recently-completed Test series against Pakistan and he is now being given a chance to make a late play at the World Cup squad. 

The first ODI against Pakistan will be played at St Georges Park in Port Elizabeth on Saturday. 

Cricket South Africa will name a new squad for the final three ODIs of the series. 

Proteas squad:

Faf du Plessis (Titans, captain), Hashim Amla (Cape Cobras), Reeza Hendricks (Highveld Lions), Imran Tahir (Dolphins), Heinrich Klaasen (Titans), Aiden Markram (Titans), David Miller (Dolphins), Duanne Olivier (Knights) Dane Paterson (Cape Cobras), Andile Phehlukwayo (Dolphins), Dwaine Pretorius (Highveld Lions), Kagiso Rabada (Highveld Lions), Tabraiz Shamsi (Titans), Rassie van der Dussen (Highveld Lions)."

This leaves a problem with regard to batsman openers - in most recent ODI's De Kock was the opening batsman together with Amla - who failed badly insofar as the strike rate is concerned,   I do think there are a number of other options as openers - namely Markram, Hendricks and Van der Dussen as openers.    I have serious doubts as to Hendricks as well.   He was never a really top class international and in the Mzanzi series he looked bad compared to Van der Dussen - who was the highest runscorer beating De Kock by 3 runs.  

The team needs players that can score at a high strike rate as openers and Van der Dussen and Markram will be my own selection as openers.     If they have to play Amla - who flopped badly in the Mzanzi comp - they have to bat him at 3.

My own batting line-up will be as follows:-

Markram

Van der Dussen

Du Plessis

Hendriks

Klaasen

Miller

Pretorius

Phehlukwayo/Patterson

Rabada

Tahir

Olivier 

That would mean too many Whites in the team, but then there are only 6 players of colour in the 14 man squad.   With the coach being from the Windies he may get away with it 

The above attack would be a problem - there are only two real speedsters in the bowling component  - Olivier and Rabada.   I would add Patterson to the line-up - even though he was a failure in previous internationals, but Phehlukwayo is a medium pacer with very little strike power,    

You need to Log in to reply.