You need to LOG IN to reply.

Olivier ducks

Forum » Cricket » Olivier ducks

Feb 26, 2019, 14:36

Yorkshire County Cricket Club has announce d the signing of Proteas fast bowler Duanne Olivier, who will join the club ahead of the 2019 campaign, subject to clearance through Kolpak regulations.

The White Rose beat off competition from a number of other counties to secure the signature of the Groblersdal-born 26-year-old. Olivier has penned an initial three-year deal with the club and will link up with his new team-mates for the first time during the fortnight-long pre-season tour to Potchefstroom early next month.

The South African quick made his Test debut in January 2017, and has since taken 48 wickets in 10 Tests at an average of 19.25. He is just one short of 400 wickets in the 96 First-Class matches he has played to date and was the leading wicket-taker for the Knights in 2018/19, Cricket South Africa’s four-day franchise series, notching 27 dismissals in six matches.

Olivier told yorkshireccc.com: “I came over to the UK last year and thoroughly enjoyed my time playing county cricket. I have since realised I could happily base myself there for the foreseeable future. I was originally looking to come back as an overseas player but when I got a long-term offer from Yorkshire as a Kolpak I knew that signing for the Club would be the best option for both myself and my family.

“I am a bowler that wants to keep pushing myself to see how far I can go and as I enter my prime I want to be in the best possible situation to grow. Another big reason was the longevity of my career.

“I would say I’ve been in good form for the last few years. It has definitely been my most consistent period and I think my stats could attest to that. I have definitely enjoyed playing Test cricket. The Pakistan tour was by far my stand-out tour. I loved every moment of that tour. It’s definitely one I won’t forget.”

In December 2018 he took 24 wickets across the three Tests against Pakistan and was named the player of the series. He backed that up seven wickets in the two-match contest against Sri Lanka, which ultimately finished in defeat for the Proteas in Port Elizabeth.

His recent form has prompted a rise to 19 in the ICC’s Test bowling rankings.

“I would be lying if I said this wasn’t a difficult decision to make,” he added.

“It’s giving up playing for my country with no guarantees of playing international cricket again. But at the end of the day, I needed to be true to myself. I’ve only got this one chance to see where my talent can take me and Yorkshire just felt right to me.

“I can be whatever type of bowler the team needs me to be. I think there is a lot of stigma around the fact that people think I can only bowl short balls because that is what I’ve done in Test matches. And it couldn’t be further from the truth. If my team has asked me to bowl short, that’s what I’ll do. I will fill the enforcer role if needed and sometimes the team will need me to be a backup where my job is to tire out and frustrate the batsmen so that another strike bowler may come and take the wicket. I think my strength lies in my flexibility to fill whatever role is required of me. I do like to be the guy the captain goes to when things get tough. And I prefer bowling longer spells.”

Director of Cricket Martyn Moxon continued: “We’re delighted that Duanne has agreed to join us. He’s a proven wicket-taker as we’ve seen in the series’ against Pakistan and Sri Lanka recently. He’s also got genuine pace so he gives us a different dimension within our seam bowling attack. We’re mindful that we’ve got some talented young seamers, but several of them have had injuries so we have to manage them carefully over the next couple of years. It gives us that strength in depth to compete on all fronts.

“To get someone of Duanne’s ability is a huge boost and we’re all looking forward to him joining us. He will meet the lads in Potchefstroom for about six days and the plan is for him to get over here in time for the Leeds-Bradford MCCU game.

“We hope it’s going to be a long-term signing, it’s for an initial three years but we’re hoping it will be for longer than that. As a person in the dressing room, I think he’ll be really strong for us. I think the fact he’s giving up international cricket for South Africa to play here shows his commitment and I think he’ll be a great asset for us.

“He played for Derbyshire and we were impressed with what we saw. We’ve tracked his career in South Africa and obviously he has been selected for the Test team and we’ve seen what he’s capable of in international cricket. He’s an impressive man as well as a cricketer and he’s very ambitious going forwards.”

First XI Coach Andrew Gale said: “Duanne has been on the radar for a while. We’ve kept our eye on him and he’s obviously had a fantastic time over the winter in South Africa. To sign someone of his quality will be a great addition to our squad.

“We want the young, Yorkshire bowlers to come through, the likes of Ben Coad, Matthew Fisher, Josh Shaw and Matthew Waite, but at this moment in time I’m not sure they can handle the workload of playing every game. To bring in an experienced bowler like Duanne will take the pressure off them. He’s a proven wicket-taker, a man who is right at the top of his game and in great form at the moment.

“To be successful, particularly in championship cricket, you need to have seven or eight front-line seamers. Playing most of our cricket up north at Emerald Headingley, Scarborough and York this year, the pitches are going to offer a bit to seamers. We need strength and depth and we’ve certainly got that now.

“We watched him bowl for Derbyshire last year, and he did really well. To sign a guy who is right at the top of his game, in his prime is fantastic, and he will fit in really well.”

Feb 26, 2019, 15:03

There is a near to zero chance of a top class career in any field of work for people with the wrong pigmentation in SA and I think that under the circumstances Olivier did the right thing,   Bad loss  for SA - but under the circumstances one cannot blame Olivier for signing that contract.   

Feb 26, 2019, 15:24

What an idiot - it’s a shame he did not just be truthful about why he is leaving and not give us that complete horseshit statement about developing his cricket.

Fuck me does he take us for a bunch of idiots. Let me guess you give up on test cricket, the highest level possible and move to county cricket to develop your game!!!

He is going for the money and he is white - he is not going there to learn or develop

Feb 26, 2019, 15:29

Agreed Dave

I think, given the circumstances, he is just trying his best to be politically correct

I don't think he wants to be known as another white boy who cried foul about quotas

Feb 26, 2019, 21:08

DA the obvious issue with SA cricket is the lack of investment in younger players. The likes of Stiaan v Zyl, Rillee Rossouw, Kyle Abbott and now Olivier gained international recognition when it was too late. All of them had tastes of international cricket at around the age of 25/26 found themselves in and out of the side inevitably leading them to seek financial reward instead of national.

A class act like Rillee should have been invested in as a youngster and would now be an established player.

All left when the horse had bolted. SA seems to have woken up to their talents literally months after they have made their minds up to leave given the insecurity they must have felt with respect to selection

Feb 26, 2019, 21:28

Well put Safsex

Feb 26, 2019, 21:28

Well put Safsex

Feb 26, 2019, 21:29

Rilee would have been our best batsman in all 3 formats now.

Feb 26, 2019, 23:42

Exactly Chip, the most gifted bat we had after AB.

What a wasted talent . How much better would our batting look with him in the side

Feb 27, 2019, 07:28

Yeah, fully agree with you Dave

Sad to watch

Feb 27, 2019, 08:44

I think it's a smart move, a few months away from being 27 years old he is in the prime of his life to do justice to himself. Why not? 

Feb 27, 2019, 09:16

I agree Denny

Most others in that position with a family would do exactly the same thing

Feb 27, 2019, 12:18

This is  KP Pietersen's comments on the issue:-

"Pietersen, now 38, and retired from the international scene having last represented England in 2014, wrote "EVERY sportsman is a business now!" and asked his over 3.7 million Twitter followers to "Name me someone in business that wouldn't move jobs for: 1. More money? 2. Less work? 3. Job security."

SA Cricket is to be blamed entirely for the situation pertaining to both Rilee Rossouw and Duanne Olivier,   To start with both of the two players were actually of the Knights (Free State Cricket)

Rilee Rossouw

This is not a nice story.   Rossouw came to notice as a 20 year old player when he did exceptionally well for the Knights.   In 2010 Rossouw was selected to play for the SA "A" team visiting Sri Lanka  and Bangla Desh.   He was the star player on the tour - but was never considered to play for the Proteas until 2014 despite his continuous top class performances for the Knights.  He was brought in as a injury replacement player.

Rossouw played for the Proteas on and off for 31 ODI's from January 2014 until he signed the Kolpak contract and in those games played he made 3 centuries and 7 fifties.

There was no measures taken by SA Cricket to ensure retention of a very good player for the benefit of South African  Cricket and the Proteas and there is clear reasons that Rossouw did not see for himself any way further in South Africa and  he saw a way out by signing the Kolpak agreement.

This while there some players who was clearly not up to standard anymore playing for the Proteas ODI teams.

Duanne Olivier

Funny enough the situation as to Olivier was much the same as Rossouw.   He was also on contract with the Free State Knights,

He first played for the Proteas in 2017 and was used in only 10 tests,   He always was an injury substitute player and was selected against the Pakistani's as a replacement for the injured Philander.   The first test performance forced the selectors to keep him for the rest of the Pakista and Sri Lanka tests - making up in total 5 tests of the 10 tests he played in total for the Proteas,

He had to play being on contract with the Knights and during the past two months SA Cricket woke up to the problem and they started negotiations with Olivier on some sort of contract - by then the horse has bolted.

SA Cricket is notorious for not building squads for the future and for keeping players in the squad based on reputation with total disregard to performance.  The above two are not the only players lost to SA because of SA Cricket -  Rossouw and Olivier are just two recent examples - there are many younger players who in the next few years will be lost to cricket in South Africa..          

Feb 27, 2019, 12:41

@clevermike

Who is this Duanne Viljoen guy that you speak of?

Is he an up and coming talent?

And who is KG Pietersen?

Is he related to KP Pietersen?

Feb 27, 2019, 12:45

and how about getting your facts straight with regard to twisting my words???

"Squeaky cleann, honest and factual" Mike. It's always someone else not you huh? 

Feb 27, 2019, 12:49

Sorry Chippo - I do not know  how I made 2 balls-ups in one posting.   Thanks for helping out and I corrected the mistakes.

Feb 27, 2019, 12:50

Denny

Calm down and deal with the topic and not with me, please.  

Feb 27, 2019, 13:04

Oh so now you're barking out orders......

How about you deal with the FACT that you twisted my words instead of ducking and diving.

Feb 27, 2019, 14:05

Twisting your words?   I apologized about the misread of your one statement as far as I can remember.   What is that to do with the topic under discussion though?

Feb 27, 2019, 14:33

Ja

After the infamous text in the WC to force an injured Philander into the side, ultimately losing us the game....who gives a fuck?

Because that is what it is really. Sorry guy, I know you bowled us into the semis, but yeah you're white so we're let you sit this one out.

That's why players leave. Because they know that they are at the mercy of politicians. Racist politicians.

Let big chief politico CSA that suck on that. I hope it's bitter.

I'd be happy if all our guys in both cricket and rugby went abroad to play and left no questions about quotas.

Let them have the whole pie and we see how long it takes before the roaches move in.

The only reason our cricket or rugby even still mean anything is because working class families support their kids through school and university. 

The government does nothing but skim from the top and take credit for things they had no hand in creating while using quotas as a face saving excercise.

Can you believe that CSA actually dare to talk about how his decision damages the global game???  The fucking ignorant and arrogant gal. 

How about selecting players based on skin color damaging the game both locally and globally? 

How about government not even nearly supporting grass roots or even high school sports kids in the slightest to identify talent, damaging the game?

How about denying talented kids that rise to the top despite being actively discriminated against, damaging the game?

100% screw government's racist policies and 100% support for any player that flips them the big old white bird.

Kry vir julle.

Feb 27, 2019, 15:00

Sweet lord Denny is so sensitive.

I pity his wife man.

(he's probably going to cry foul now that I said that too)

Feb 27, 2019, 15:00

100% Plum

You have mentioned points here that I have also previously posted about

Complete horseshyte

Feb 27, 2019, 15:53

Plum's post in a way reminds me of a quota selection incident surrounding a player called Justin Ontong and another player(1st drop) named Jaques Rudolph.

I don't if anyone remembers the incident but what transpired took place while the Proteas were touring Australia. The team had been selected and the names were emailed to CSA. Because of the time lag the message came back the next morning, which was the day of play, for Rudolph to be dropped to allow Ontong to take his place. 

Sad to say but in my opinion Jaques Rudolp never recovered from that incident and didn't play for the Proteas again until the the end of his career.....by the it was too late. It's not like he was a great batsman, useful as I remember and bowled a good legbreak but a meritous selection if you ask me. He was left out because he was white so as to make space for a coloured player. It's as simple as that.

Justin Ontong needless to say faded into insignificance and the best he's done is to play for the Cape Cobras but never as an international for his country.

That's as disgusting as you'll get.

As for public reaction over here..... Tony Creig who was by then a TV commentator mumbled his dissatisfaction but that's as far as it went.

Feb 27, 2019, 19:38

Denny

I can remember that one - I think Ontong made 6 runs in the first innings and nothing in the second.    That is what is going on here in SA.   The first target is always the Whites - the second one the Indians - the third one the Coloureds,

Tragic hey!!!!! 

Feb 28, 2019, 02:15

Mike, the problem is that the powers that be learnt nothing from that experience, the same conditions if not worse still exists today. Racism is a madness in South Africa, an obsession beyond description, you can steal, kill, rape but all merry hell breaks lose if you're white and racist.

Oh and Chippo...

Now that you've got your petty little side swipe off your chest how about giving us a real post, no, not another  cut and paste, instead, give me your own thoughts on cricket. Just one will do, one that everyone can enjoy and debate. C'mon kiddo ....it's been years in the making.

Tx.

You need to Log in to reply.