Protea Cricket squad for Pakistan Tour

Forum » Cricket » Protea Cricket squad for Pakistan Tour

Jan 07, 2021, 11:04

The tour matches starts on 26 January 2021 with -

*    two tests; and

*    three T20I's 

being on the agenda,

That is followed by a 3 test series against Australia starting the end of February and a visit to SA by the Pakistani team.

However, in view of the Covid 19 problem the Proteas will depart for Pakistan on 15 January 2021 - so the squad  announcement is likely to take place not later than 10 January 2021 as all players and staff accompanying them will have to be retested for Covid 19 and only once that result is known will the players move into a bio-secure facility before being retested before their actual departure,  

It is therefor near to a  certainty that the squad announcement would be made in the next 4 days.

The one player unlikely to be in the squad because of his finger injury will likely be Van Tonder - a real pity that he will not be going as the batting line-up is problematic because most batsmen will fail on sub-continent pitches,    Hope he gopes because their would be three weeks between the time when he was injured and the first Pakistani test - unless it as a break if the finger any other injury would normally be healed in three weeks time.

As to the squad there is one player I hope would not be in the team and that is Beuren Hendriks - they should rather take M Pretorius along and not that habitual failure,  For the rest they would likely stick with the squad that was selected for the SL tests and add some T20I players as well.   

Surprise inclusions could be AB de Villiers and Tahir - especially with a view to play in the T20I games,

Jan 07, 2021, 13:53

My squad would be:

Markram

Janneman Malan

Hamza

v Tonder (hoping he has recovered)

de Kock

Verreynne

Mulder

Maharaj

Rabada

Nortje

Ngidi

Sipamla

Andile

Linde

M Pretorious

Roelofsen

Rickelton

Richards

de Swardt

Ackerman

Coetzee

Big squad for COVID - send this squad to Oz as well

Jan 07, 2021, 15:16

Dave

Funny enough I do agree with you on the above squad.   Sorry Dave - I should have been more explicit - the Aussies are coming to SA fir the series,  

Jan 08, 2021, 14:15

Apparently I was wrong - there will be players sent after 15 January 2021 for the T20I games - bit the test squad are as follows:

Quinton de Kock (Captain), Temba Bavuma, Aiden Markram, Faf du Plessis, Dean Elgar, Dwayne Pretorius, Keshav  Maharaj, Lungi Ngidi, Rassie van der Dussen, Anrich Nortje, Wiaaan Mulder, Lutho Sipamla, Beuran Hendriks, Kyle Verreinne, Sarel  Erwee, Keegan Petersen, Tabraiz Shamsi, George Linde, Daryn Dupavillon, Otniell Baartman

Another f%cked up squad with a lot of potential failures in sub-continent conditions.

Lets take some examples:=

First class matches played

Ottniel Baartman                 28  /  wickets taken   -  82  /  Average   -  26,84

Migaek Pretoriuss                36  /  wickets taken   -  124  /  Average  -   22,76

Baartman is in the squad - Pretorius is out. - the quota player system at work

Dupavillon played in 1 ODI against Australia and did nothing of note.   He bowled 6 overs and took 1 wicket in that ODI,   His domestic figures are worse than that of Pretorius,    A 27 year old with nothing to write home about.   No investment for the future, 

Statistically Hamza on first class performnances is a much better batsman than Van der Dussen and he has age on his side,   Is ignored by the selectors for what reason?    Played in India on sub-continent pitches and did quote well.   Why is he being ignored,     

I can see at least four of the batsmen fail in the tests and then Mozart will blame De Kock for what went wrong,  

Merit selection - my arse.       

You need to Log in to reply.