Protea T20 squad against Pakistan in April 2021

Forum » Cricket » Protea T20 squad against Pakistan in April 2021

Feb 26, 2021, 18:27

The visit by Pakistan is about a month away and one has to look at performances against various teams over the last three months to get an idea of who should be in the team against the Pakistanis iro of both the ODI's and the T20I's to be played:-

Based on performances the team should look like the following:-

Janneman Malan

Quinton de Kock                *

Raynard van Tonder

Adrian Markram

David Miller                       *   

Temba Bavuma

Wiaan Mulder

George Linde 

Migael Pretorius

Kagiso Rabada                   *

Anrich Nortje                     *

Lungi Ngidi                        *

*    All the players marked with the asterisk Have IPL contracts,   Aside from the above Faf du Plessis and Chris Morris also have such  contracts - so some players may be given permission not to play for SA in the series.   My guess is that Faf and Miller together with Ngidi and Rabada would be released to play in the IPL. De Kock will for obvious reasons not be released.

To replace Miller - the obvious choice is Kyle Verreinne.   In the case of Rabada, Nortje and Ngidi if released - there are a number of bowlers like Sipamla, Cele and Burger or one of the Bosch brothers who could be used.

All the games will be played in Pretoria and Johannesburg - so only one spinner will be used in each game.   There will obviously be added a few players to the squad not necessarily selected on merit.   You are however, welcome to add some players to the squad which you believe would be merit selections.   The only two players I would add is Rassie van der Dussen. Stubbs  and with hesitation Heinrich Klaasen - and for future development Roelofsen and Rickelton.     I will also add Shamsi and Maharaj  to the squad,   The latter is  really best as a test plater and not better in the shorter versions of the game,   In the shorter versions both Shamsi and Linde are better spin bowlers - with Linde the better batsman of the two,            

So the ultimate team would be with the IPL in mind would be as follows:-

Janneman Malan

Quinton de Kock

Raynard van Tonder

Adrian Markram

Kyle Verrreinne   

Wiaan Mulder

Temba Bavuma

George Linde 

Migael Pretorius

Lutho Sipamla

Okuhle Cele

Time for some input by Dave especially,

Mar 01, 2021, 06:44

I have changed the squad a bit based on actual performances  and believe  that the issue that need strengthening is the batting component  -  where the players I indicated  will have the strongest batting component since 2017.      

For he latter reason I prefer Linde ahead of either Shamsi  and Maharaj in the shorter versions of the game.      As to the batting order I think  they should move  Mulder to 6. 

Mar 01, 2021, 06:54

I'd drop Markram for Hamza in the T20s.

...And Bavuma for Erwee.

Mar 01, 2021, 07:06

I would prefer Roelofsen ahead of  Hamza in the T20I's and ODI's - but agree that Hamza should be in the squad.        

You need to Log in to reply.