Miller.

Quintie.

Phlegm-away-ou.

Morris.

Rabada.

Ngidi.

Tahir.

Jun 06, 2019, 01:36

Tinkering with the top order at this stage is a sign of desperation. Nope, I disagree. Any batsmen would have struggled on that wicket in the first one and a half hours so it's a bit rough to now want to change the order. It lost a bit of spike as the day went by and the Indians were the benefactors, not saying the wicket died but it certainly didn't have the same effect when it dried out. Faf erred big time, he should have had a bowl, I daresay the Indian top order would have struggled just as much as the Proteas. Van Dussen is not an opener, De Kock is a free flowing quick scoring batsman, perfect as an opener. Your team picks itself, I would open with Markram and have Amla at first drop with Faf to follow. Still, we're just painting over a crack, our batting at this level was always going to be exposed for what it is, they knew that before they flew out. A younger Amla, AB360 together perhaps with Rillee Rossow would have added some substance. The strategy to bowl the opposition out cheaply has been well and truly shredded and proven to be dumb. No matter the wicket, our cupcakes cannot score past 320 and let there be no doubt the first two wickets they played on was screaming for 350.

Jun 06, 2019, 01:52

A perfect opener isn't bamboozled by swing, bounce and spin Denny. He is a flat track bully, the moment the ball moves his two big flaws.....gap between bat and pad, and hands thrown at the ball appear big time.

Jun 06, 2019, 02:03

If that's the case then he should have been highly successful on the first two wickets he played on.

Jun 06, 2019, 02:27

Can you think of any big innings he has played overseas on a hot wicket....I can't. The kind of player who will be huge when you are winning anyway and MIA the moment the team is in difficulty. Six is his best chance to be a contributor.

Jun 06, 2019, 02:53

Mozart

The first name I saw of that team list I gave up on any logic on your part.   Amla has a batting average of 9,5 in two matches batted,   How can that be logical?

Jun 06, 2019, 03:08

Simply because there isn't enough class available to have a prayer.....we have to roll the dice with Amla. He was looking good before the concussion and even today he was much more solid than Quintie.

Obviously there was a reason he wasn't chosen against the Bunglees, the effects of the concussion hopefully abating...and Quintie will be a better contributor at 6. This isn't PE.

Jun 06, 2019, 03:20

I should say "perfect" in the sense that he is a free flowing and fast scoring batsman which is most unusual barring a few exceptions for a SAFFA opener of the modern era. I say again, any batsman would have struggled against Jasprit Bumrah on that particular wicket.

Jun 06, 2019, 03:38

Bumrah was a handful, but not unplayable with good technique. Quintie was equally at sea against the Banglees....it's not Bumrah it's movement that's his nemesis.

Jun 06, 2019, 03:50

Bumrah provides movement....exceptional movement.... as evidenced on that particular wicket. But that aside, if as you say De Kock has flaws, how does it disappear if he plays down the order? To my way of thinking the cracks then reappear at a different time....the movement is constant throughout the innings.

Jun 06, 2019, 04:57

Bowlers are worn down.....unless your timing is unlucky and coincides with a ball change, it's lost it shine.....the team has worked out what's happening out there....and the unique pressure which occurs at the start of an innings is absent. ...and often, like today the pitch loses it's fizz.

These are Quintie's WC innings: 7,7, 12, 1, 0,26,78,14, 68, 23, 10.

Total in 11 innings...246 runs ...average 22. Five innings or nearly half of his innings of 10 or less. Drop him down the order.....that's how his confidence was restored in the test arena.

Jun 06, 2019, 08:35

The shit is flowing as per expected,   Why not see what Amla's WC record is also and also trat of the Great Graeme Smith,   And let us not forget that it was unwise  to start with quinton directly after a 2 month injury lay-off. prior to the 2015 WC.   

How many centuries has De Kock made in ODI's compare to the Great Graeme Smith - dimness?  

And you never criticized  Van der Dussen - how about the following:-

"4 WCs are no place for frivolity.....van der Dussen should never have been playing a reverse sweep at that critical stage. The Boks should mostly take their points....our mauls aren't working that well."

Now poor Dale Steyn who has not played in anything bar one game in  2019 is "putting too much pressure on his shoulder.   First of all he should NEVER have been in the squad anyway,

You need to Log in to reply.