Proteas ODI squad....

Forum » Cricket » Proteas ODI squad....

Jan 22, 2020, 08:25

led by De Kock as captain, a no brainer choice.

As for the squad, some good, some not so good.

Quinton de Kock (captain), Reeza Hendricks, Temba Bavuma, Rassie van der Dussen, David Miller, Jon Jon Smuts, Andile Phehlukwayo, Lutho Sipamla, Lungi Ngidi, Tabraiz Shamsi, Sisanda Magala, Bjorn Fortuin, Beuran Hendricks, Janneman Malan, Kyle Verreynne.  

Bavuma?.....not sure 

Miller - serial failure

Shamsi......Is he a spin bowler or a slow bowler?

Beuran Hendricks.....useless

Reeza Hendriks.....Methuselah after a triple by-pass

Jan 22, 2020, 09:58

Better than the test squad batting line-up - but for the following:-

*   Bavuma is not an ODI batsman's arse or perhaps he is,

*   Where is Rabada and Nortje?

*    Beuran Hendricks is not even close to an ODI bowler

*    Reeza Hendriks - agree with Denny

This is the first sign that Du Plessis is out of contention for future selection.  He is likely to announce his retirement from all international cricket after the next test.

The batting line-up is likely to be  as follows:-

1   Janneman Malan

2    De Kock

3    Smuts 

4    Verreyne

5    Van der Dussen 

6    Miller

7    Phehlukwayo

I am not worried about De Kock's captaincy at all.   At least in the T20I series in India  in September last year De Kock was the  captain and it was one of the very few series the Proteas managed to win over the last two years.

Amongst the bowlers Sipamla is an interesting selection.  Smuts is a very good spin bowler and he is likely to be the spinner when playing on pitches  where spin bowling is required.  The likely all-rounder in the team for that reason.  Excited by the selection of Verreyne.   

I think the 2021 T20I WC series was borne in mind with some selections.  That is perhaps why some of the players are included in the squad to see how they do.   Would have liked to see Van Tonder in the squad as well ahead of Reeza Hendriks.      

Jan 22, 2020, 11:49

I haven't seen any of the young guns but if it means sitting up through the early hours of the morning then I will. But looking at the squad I guess it's just too hard an ask to expect fair play....Bavuma? Siestog. Reeza ....Foeitog.

We have two opposition, the one we face on the field and the one within.....it's called Quota.

Of the two the latter is more dangerous.

Jan 22, 2020, 12:34

Jon Jon Smuts despite being a Graeme College old boy is a stupid selection given his age

Who the fuck are the selectors - why are Boucher and Smith standing for this?

It’s a crap squad

Jan 22, 2020, 12:42

Dave

Markram is still injured - who else do you suggest?  

Rabada and Nortje are being rested for the series, 

Jan 22, 2020, 20:30

Anyone of the youngsters I see absolutely no point in selecting an average 30 year old

Jan 22, 2020, 23:22

What is the fixation with 30yr old average players? If you haven't raised the bar at 30 then you ain't going to raise it at 31 or 32. Why can't they see that it's better to invest in  youth who fail than an average 30 year old who already is a failure?

Jan 22, 2020, 23:29

It’s fucking madness Denny and bloody infuriates me.

It’s so short sighted

The worst was Cook the opening bat - what the hell was that about

Jan 22, 2020, 23:40

Is the problem unique to South Africa? I look around and read of youngsters running around for their country.......golly gosh why do we choose to be different?

Jan 23, 2020, 00:03

To be fair Oz and England went through a period of selecting old players - England have seen the light though

Sibley, Crawley and Pope are all babies as are Curran and Archer

Jan 23, 2020, 01:23

Cannot but agree more with you and would like other younger players in the squad.  I can think of Markram when fit.   Also of young Ackerman, Van Tonder and Breetzke - who else?

Jan 23, 2020, 02:15

Richards for sure and Bird at some point

Jan 23, 2020, 03:57

Lack of age doesn't compensate for lack of talent.

Jan 23, 2020, 09:16

Totally deficient form by experienced players lose matches.   In the case of the present  players  like Faf and Elgar the form loss  due to age is permanent and cannot be recovered.  

However, you know nothing about talent insofar as the younger players are concerned - you did not even know that players like Verreyne amd Sipamla existed before ,mentioned on site repeatedly  - leave alone what their talent capacity is,  The talent of none of the other youngsters you know ZERO about - so what is you above comment worth?   As per normal ZERO            

Jan 23, 2020, 10:18

I have no problem with older guys in the side if they are stars who have done the grind through the years and coming to the end of their careers - most of these players don’t need a push they know when it’s time to call it quits like I suspect Faf will do soon and as Amla, Kallis, AB, Smith, Morkel, Steyn and Philander have done recently.

What I have a major issue with is selecting 30 year olds to debut when you have a host of younger players with better batting averages or better bowling stats being overlooked

This series thus far has proven that selections of this sort have failed - look no further than the stats of Malan, Rassie, Pretorious and Paterson as evidence.

I’d rather see a youngster failing but finding his feet at test level like Amla and Kallis had to than some average 30 year old.

There is no logic or merit in these selections it’s so short sighted

Jan 23, 2020, 10:25

Exactly - both Amla and Kallis started off poorly in tests - but they were young enough to develop to become great players,    They did not come on the scene as 30 year-olds.    Why can other younger players like Verreyne and co not be in the same situation?    

Jan 23, 2020, 17:08

Because they don't have the talent....your thinking is arse about face. Kallis, AB, Amla were precocious talents.....demanding a spot in the team. Yes they may have struggled a bit at the start, but the massive promise was there.

Other young greats like Richards and Pollock were instant successes..

All you have done is come up with a lost of okay young players, who will not develop into great test cricketers. Hell if Hamza is close to the best of this crop it's an awful crop.

Jan 23, 2020, 20:28

Wrong Moz, Amla at the start was a suspect selection given his technique. Hamza certainly at the same stage looks a better bat technically.

Hell even Smith looked awful all through his career as did Gary Kirsten.

So it’s impossible to pass judgement as you have on Hamza, for you would have said the same thing about Amla at the start of his career. It’s been unfair on Hamza at 3 for he has found himself effectively opening each time he has batted. You and I both said he looked good after the first test - you have a short memory!!

The list of youngsters all average 50 or close so it’s a start and therefore your take on their credentials is short sighted

Jan 24, 2020, 06:11

Mozart knows nothing about talent of younger players,  He can write about it and in most cases he did not even know of existence of players mentioned on site.   He did not know that for instance Verreyne broke every school record set by Kallis while attending the same school  and that Hamza had a better performance record than Amla had at school. and in the performance in senior provincial level after leaving school.

Mozart wrote the following:-

"Because they don't have the talent....your thinking is arse about face. Kallis, AB, Amla were precocious talents.....demanding a spot in the team. Yes they may have struggled a bit at the start, but the massive promise was there."

There are some of the youngsters who were better than the three players mentioned who were kept out of the team by the idiots running SA Cricket and who are equally talented to what  the "arse about face" Mozart knows.   He does not even know about the players yet in his dumbness he expressed an opinion on precocious talents,  What an arsehole he always is, 

Jan 24, 2020, 21:23

Oh sure we have Barry Richards ready to play and the selectors are willfully  ignoring him. Just another Wanker ‘discovery’.

Jan 25, 2020, 20:11

I did not mention any Richards - Dave did/  And it is not Barry Richards dolt.

Jan 27, 2020, 17:29

It is Barry Richards...... Wanker......that’s who I was  referencing, not some newbie. Here:

Barry Anderson Richards is a former South African first-class cricketer. A right-handed "talent of such enormous stature", Richards is considered one of South Africa's most successful batsmen. Wikipedia
BornJuly 21, 1945 (age 74 years), Durban, South Africa
Test debut (cap 234)22 January 1970 v Australia
Batting styleRight-handed

Jan 27, 2020, 22:05

Joshua Richards 21 year old opening bat

Jan 27, 2020, 22:46

Dave 

Looks another promising player to be borne in mind.  His stats are really impressive - having played in 13 games and scoring 1 century and  3 fifties are very good,     

Jan 28, 2020, 00:07

Chippo says he is pretty handy - I saw him playing for the SA u19 and he is very stylish

First class average of around 50 is a good start

You need to Log in to reply.