Proteas squads named for Test Series and A team match against England

Forum » Cricket » Proteas squads named for Test Series and A team match against England

Dec 16, 2019, 16:30

Who is on the Selection Committee?

Linda Zondi (welcomed back on board on Saturday) then headed up a panel also comprising Hussain Manack, Domingo and two former national players in Ashwell Prince and Errol Stewart.

I do not trust any of the SC members to even make a basic selection of players to play test cricket,   Where is Graeme Smith and Boucher in all this??????   

Test series

Faf du Plessis (Titans, captain), Temba Bavuma (Lions), Quinton de Kock (Titans), Dean Elgar (Titans), Beuran Hendricks (Lions), Keshav Maharaj (Dolphins), Pieter Malan (Cape Cobras), Aiden Markram (Titans), Zubayr Hamza (Cape Cobras), Anrich Nortje (Warriors), Dane Paterson (Cape Cobras), Andile Phehlukwayo (Dolphins), Vernon Philander (Cape Cobras), Dwaine Pretorius (Lions), Kagiso Rabada (Lions), Rudi Second (Warriors), Rassie van der Dussen (Lions) 

A-team match

Temba Bavuma (Lions), Nandre Burger (Cape Cobras), Theunis de Bruyn (Titans), Reeza Hendricks (Lions), Pieter Malan (Cape Cobras), Andile Phehlukwayo (Dolphins), Dane Piedt (Cape Cobras), Lutho Sipamla (Warriors), Glenton Stuurman (Warriors), Pite van Biljon (Knights), Kyle Verreynne (Cape Cobras)

So what have we got here:-

1   Temba Bavuma = who failed repeatedly in India and has a good batting record once in a Blue Moon,  

2   Elgar slightly better than Bavuma, since he has a good batting record twice in a blue moon

3   Beuran Hendriks - when last did he play an average game even on provincial level?

4   Pieter Malan - where is his brother Janneman - who has a better record than him

5   Dane Piett - has this guy not had enough failure records yet?

6   Somebody will have to get De Kock, Markram and Rabada to apply themselves more diligently to play cricket

7   Where is Breetzke and Van Tonder in the "A-team"

Boucher must be careful,   The following statement will rule him out of favour with the tip expert on site Mozart:-

"When asked over the possibility of bringing back some of South Africa's lost talents in England, Boucher revealed that he'd love to strengthen the Proteas similar to how Rassie Erasmus transformed the Springboks.

"If you look at rugby, the way the Springboks won the World Cup, the experience they got from players playing overseas was invaluable," Boucher told reporters at Newlands on Saturday."

How dare he be that stupid to say such a positive thing about Erasmus???   

Dec 16, 2019, 17:12

What a crap squad - nothing new and exciting in that lot

Pathetic going nowhere

Dec 16, 2019, 19:18

Dave

I would pick the following batsmen from that lot:-

1   Malan 

2   Edgar/Markram

3   Du Plessis

4   Hamza

5   Van Biljon

6   De Kock

Dec 16, 2019, 19:18

Duplicate

Dec 16, 2019, 21:41

How the hell could you overlook Bavuma, you are going to piss some one off bigtime.

Stand ready Mike.

Dec 16, 2019, 23:57

Hasn't Markram failed enough.....Amla at 50 would be better than this stiff.

Dec 17, 2019, 00:58

Shit donkey-brain is back with no brain in is head.    Smith and Boucher have no say in team selection and they were given a poor squad at best and they have to accept it???''

All you come up is glorification of  Amla,  As far as I remember Amla retired from all formats of the game and to pine about a player that has show signs of deteriorating in performance over the 18 months before retirement is an exercise in futility.

Dec 17, 2019, 02:10

Malan at 30 is a poor selection.

It has to be Elgar and Markram

Markram needs to get his shit together so bloody gifted but fuck knows what has happened to him of late

It’s such a shit batting line up we have no hope in hell.

Dec 17, 2019, 02:29

The best we can do with this sad lot is

Markram Elgar Bavuma Faf Hamza de Kock Andile Philander Maharaj Rabada Nortje

Dec 17, 2019, 06:52

Dave

Should have checked - did not realize Malan is 30 years old already,   janneman is only 23 years old - he should have been the choice.    

Dec 17, 2019, 21:28

Rudi Second - 30 yrs

Dale Patterson - 30yrs

Beuran Hendricks - 29yrs

Dec 18, 2019, 14:05

Denny

Thanks - they have gone nowhere playing professional cricket for ten years and now they  suddenly are in the squad.   That is what I call real BS.   I would have taken youngsters like Breetzke, Janneman Malan  and  Van Tonder into the squad and start a real development programme.  

That is what I believe Boucher would aim at - but neither he nor Smith has any say in selections and  that is why I said there is no  signs of development of players without a drastic change in the way SAC is run.    

Dec 18, 2019, 14:10

Mike, are you serious?

Pite van Biljon is 33 years old.

Dec 18, 2019, 18:32

I think he means Rassie not van Biljon

Dec 18, 2019, 18:32

Denny

I should have checked the ages of the players and did not,   Every time reference is made to a player - the shock gets worse,    How many of the players in the squad is over 28 years of age?  That means that when the next WC comes around they will be ready for cricket old age pension,   
Bad news - it really is shocking,   The age distribution is as follows:-

*    23   -    1  player
*    24   -    2  players
*    25   -    2  players
*    26   -    1  player
*    29   -    4  players
*    30  -     3  players
*    32  -     1  player
*    34  -     2  players

So 10 of the 16 players are 29 years old or older -  how he hell are they going to develop a future team under those circumstances?  I did not check the A-team - but te situation does nt look much better,

I am afraid that the story is sickening.  I was referring to the 20 year old Van Tonder who was  the SA captain in the Under 19 series in NZ - who was afterwards selected  as Captain of the Tournament team.    He bats at 3

Some of the Indian players in that tournament team is already playing international cricket for India.   That is the way how teams and players are developed,      

Dec 18, 2019, 19:08

van Tonder not van Tinder

van Tonder has a first class average of 47 much the same as Verreynne so why on earth are these two youngsters not invested in - instead we have 30 year olds Second and Malan in the squad - it’s pathetic

As is the inclusion of utterly useless bowlers like Pretorious, Hendricks and Paterson

Fuck me it’s a sad state of affairs

Best of all is 33 year old van Biljon in the A side what a joke

Dec 18, 2019, 19:32

Dave

Mozart will say the team of oldies are selected on merit - I won't.   I cannot understand why the selection is not done by Smith and Boucher - I think they are being thrown under a bus - if not successful they will get the blame,

Why the hell did they give credibility to the idiots at SAC?

Dec 18, 2019, 19:39

My team would have been as follows:-

Markram 

Janneman Malan

Van Tonder

Du Plessis

Breetzke

De Kock

Hlehlukwayo

Rabada

Maharaj

Nortje

Ngidi/Sipamla

Dec 18, 2019, 20:33

Breetzke has a disappointing first class average of 20 something which is not good enough.

I saw him playing for the SA u19 side a few years ago and he looked really good so it’s disappointing to see his average being so low

Dec 18, 2019, 23:06

Breetzke was very good in the recent Mzanzi series and is still very young and could improve with more experience and better coaching,    He is only 20 years of age and his batting average is just about 30.   He played in 17 first class matches and batted in 29 innings scoring 732 runs,   A lot of room for improvement available.          

Dec 19, 2019, 00:37

With that average he has plenty to do before he can be considered for international cricket

Dec 19, 2019, 01:07

I can assure you of one thing - he would not be any worse than some of the other clowns in the squad already, 

Dec 19, 2019, 01:17

Mike

Have you considered sending the list with the players' ages to CSA? I bet it wasn't a consideration when they made their dumb selections.

Dec 19, 2019, 01:37

I can’t begin to imagine that Smith and Boucher are the kind of personalities who are happy to be dictated to. Not having the freedom to select the players of their choice must be something that will be short lived

It’s an archaic system having the squad selected by a bunch of ignorant twats

Dec 19, 2019, 02:03

It's a squad targeting quota selections. Under the current circumstances the useless selection committee should be aborted, instead, the selection of all squads should be made by the ANCparlaimentary sports committee.

Dec 19, 2019, 02:49

Malan and Second are 30 year old whites though as is useless Pretorious and the not so useless Rassie

Dec 19, 2019, 03:07

Dave there are younger players available and my guess is that they are white hence my above comment. But that aside I think the point is that there's no hope in hell they can build a squad with the WC in mind with an aged group. Madness mate, friggin madness. At this point in time and with the WC in mind it is better to invest in younger players who show potential.

Dec 19, 2019, 14:11

Denny

It is no use sending a list giving the age of players to CSA - so I send an e-mail on the issue to the SA Cricket Association,  They are CSA most difficult problem and I am sure they will do something about it,  

Dec 20, 2019, 00:11

Agreed Denny it’s so short sighted

Let’s hope Smith and Boucher change things

If they can’t no one will

Dec 20, 2019, 08:50

Bavuma out of the first test with a muscle strain - what now?

Dec 20, 2019, 21:24

Means Hamza and Rassie will play

You need to Log in to reply.