You need to LOG IN to reply.

Rabada today...

Forum » Cricket » Rabada today...

Mar 07, 2019, 02:22

....was a thrilling sight, steaming in and delivering 150ks with just a little more effort than his usual rythmical action. Rabada and Ngidi duplicate the challenges presented by Adcock and Heine in the fifties....speed and bounce.

They are one of our strengths going into the WC.

Mar 07, 2019, 09:23

Right again but it begs the question where was today's Rabada yesterday and the days before?

I didn't see Adcock and Heine but at 152k's "White Lightening" would be right up there if not better.

Mar 07, 2019, 09:33

Problem is Rabada did overdid things yesterday and as a result was initially being expensive and only taking one wicket early in the game.  He did very well in cleaning up the tail batsmen.  

The problem bowler and fielder for the Sri Lanka game yesterday was in fact Nortje - who also bowl in the high 140's and often enough over 150.   He took two very important wickets early and in fact gave away much fewer runs than Rabada did, while proving that he is a top class fielder as well by running out another of Sri Lanka key batsman as well.

I think the fast bowler complement will be Ngidi, Rabada and Nortje, with Steyn being kept in the WC squad as a back-up player in the case of injuries,   They may take another fast bowler as back-up as well and the jury is out as to who that would be..  

Mar 07, 2019, 10:20

Pace in the limited format ain't such a big deal. 

It's only once you have a couple of good variations that you pace will work for you.

You need a good slower bouncer or just slower ball, consistent yorker, some reverse swing or some other variation. 

Having the variation adds value to your pace. 

Ngidi seems the smarter of the two. A Fanie De Villiers type, while Rabada is more the natural athlete.

Rabada with his natural pace reminds me a lot of Shane Bond. Lee, Younis, Donald, Ambrose...none of them were as good.

Denny...you seen much of Bond? 

He's the Mumbai  bowling coach right now. Would like to see him mentor our your pace attack.

Mar 07, 2019, 10:28

Plum

You qare 100% correct - there is very little variation in Rabada's bowling.  Perhaps that is why he is so expensive early in the overs when the ball is hard and goes to boundaries even when the bat only touch same.   Rabada also has early wicket taking problems and I suspect it is the same problem.

He would be a better bowler if he concentrate more on accuracy - with pace being a variation.  I think a similar remark was made during the commentary yesterday.   

Mar 07, 2019, 10:49

Rabada with his natural pace reminds me a lot of Shane Bond. Lee, Younis, Donald, Ambrose...none of them were as good.

Denny...you seen much of Bond? 

Yes I have, and I've also seen a lot of the above. Don't ask me to pick a favourite....just don't!

But I leave you with these figures...10 - 5 - 5 - 5 versing the Ozzies. Bowler....

Curtly Ambrose.

I disagree with you on "none of them were as good."

Mar 07, 2019, 10:53

You need a good slower bouncer or just slower ball, consistent yorker, some reverse swing or some other variation. 

The great Glen McGrath, a decent medium pacer with the odd quicker one and odd yorker...said..

I keep it very simple, I have two variations....one I move out and one I move in.....

Mar 07, 2019, 11:30

Haha ya, but he could land it on a penny five times out of six.

Bond, free of injury and on form was as unplayable as I've ever seen. Steyn's swing with Lee's pace.

Also here us what I was told once...

You've got the batter in two minds. He doesn't know whether to hit you for four or for six.

Incidently, I played for a predominantly West Indian team in the UK. Great guys and with a brilliant sense of humor. 

Most of them had SA as their second favorite team. Strange, considering our past.  

Mar 07, 2019, 12:04

There's one thing I'm bitter about when it comes to cricket and that is that the great SAFFA side of the 60's never got to play the Windies. If you regard the Ozzies of that vintage as 3rd best then historically cricket has never entertained two super sides of equal strength at the same period of time. The decline of Windies cricket in the modern day, after 15 years at the top, saw the mantle taken over by the Ozzies for almost the same period of time. No other team came close to dominating while those two team ruled in their respective eras.

So for more than one reason I feel cheated that we'll never know which one of the two super powers would have ruled supreme back in the 60's.

Fuck the politicians!

Mar 07, 2019, 14:28

Agree with you on your last sentence!!!!!:D:D:D 

You need to Log in to reply.