Selection chief: Faf still has ODI future, Rabada rested

Forum » Cricket » Selection chief: Faf still has ODI future, Rabada rested

Jan 22, 2020, 23:12

Cape Town - Cricket South Africa (CSA) still considers Faf du Plessis part of its ODI plans moving forward, says acting selection convenor Linda Zondi

The Test and T20 skipper of the national side was not included in a 15-man squad for the upcoming three-match ODI series against world champions England, with the captaincy being given to star batsman and wicketkeeper Quinton de Kock. 

With Du Plessis having said after last year's World Cup, where South Africa finished seventh, that he would consider his future in the format, Tuesday's squad announcement suggested that it might be the end of the road for him in 50-over cricket. 

Zondi, though, insisted that the decision to leave Du Plessis out was more about workload and an opportunity to give other younger players a chance to get going on the road to the 2023 World Cup in India. 

The decision to leave out premier striker bowler Kagiso Rabada was also centred around concerns over workload. 

"He hasn't retired. He is still in our plans, but it is important in terms of succession plans that we look at other options," Zondi told Sport24 on Tuesday, speaking on Du Plessis.

"It is the same for KG (Rabada). It is about managing workloads and this is an important year for us in T20 cricket with the World Cup coming up towards the end of the year (in Australia in September)."

After the ODI series, which takes place between February 4-9, the Proteas will take on England in three T20s from February 12-16 and some of the country's bigger names are likely to be included then. 

Other noticeable exclusions from the ODI squad were allrounder Dwaine Pretorius and speedster Anrich Nortje.

"It's just about giving opportunities to other guys," Zondi said.

"Anrich was going to be one of our key bowlers at the World Cup before he got injured and he has been bowling a lot in the Test series, so there is no way that we are throwing him or anyone else away."

Aiden Markram, meanwhile, is still injured and Zondi said it was unclear if he would be ready for the T20 series.

%%%%%%%

Yep, that's fine, it makes sense.

Jan 22, 2020, 23:25

I love the way Smith persuaded Pretorious not to sign a Kolpak deal and he then gets dropped from the 3rd test and fails to make the ODI squad.

There is no way he needs to be rested.

Rabada and Nortje might need a rest but not Pretorious.

They have only just worked out how average he is

Jan 22, 2020, 23:35

He is by far the worst "Allrounder" to make a national side. And Shamsi is by far the most useless "spin" bowler to make a national side. It has to be noted that these guys played in the last WC and proved themselves as no hopers so the mind is filled with wonder as to why they're still in the squad.

Jan 22, 2020, 23:59

Exactly and then you add Paterson and Hendricks as amongst the worst seam bowlers we have seen

For the test series I want to know why they selected 30 year old Second as the back up keeper/bat over 22 year old Verreyne who is a keeper/bat averaging 51 in first class cricket?

How on earth do you make that call?

Jan 23, 2020, 02:02

Dave

That exactly is the reason why there should not be a Selection Committee at all.  The remarks as to Faf's future is typical of what comes out of that craziness,   Why should he decide whether he should play or not.

I think that Boucher and Smith won a small victory by the exclusion of Faf amd Elgar from the ODI squad and that there is a fightback on their part, They will likely get rid of the other 30 year old and olders with time, but  \it may take some time to get rid of the others as well.   At least Elgar and Du Plessis is gone,  The next target should be Van der Dussen.   Not too bad - but he still have now real longer term future,   Bavumba is another 29 year-old who is not an ODI player at all,  Reeza and Beuren Hendriks are totally useless as well.      

Jan 23, 2020, 10:21

Faf needs to retire with dignity like his previous teammates have done. His time is up

Jan 23, 2020, 12:08

I'd hang onto him but only as test captain

Jan 23, 2020, 13:12

If I was Boucher I’d be hoping Faf retires soon so that he does not have to push him out

You need to Log in to reply.